Graphics
R9 290
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
0scar said:
I have exactly the same problem running on stock speeds.

CPU : i7 920 D0
MB : X58A-UD3R rev2 FE
MEMORY : OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Intel i7 Triple Channel Rev.2 6GB Triple Channel Kit DDR3-kit
GPU : SAPPHIRE HD 5770 512MB

I'm running 64-bit...everything is just pristine but when I reboot I get the dreaded "Hold down to restart" once every 3 boots. The -v option seems to go through everytime though...

If you've done extensive testing in Win7 and using memtest (boot cd or usb) to rule out other issues, than I might guess it's a BIOS setting-- particularly something set to auto when it should be set manually. Before I overclocked my system at all, I rarely had the hold down the restart when I booted after having the system off for long periods of time.

I don't know what change fixed it, but the problem was fixed as I started switching BIOS settings from auto to manual. Auto settings, particularly with voltages and timings, tend to do screwy things that can make a system run not as stable and way too hot (voltages too high, for instance). So, I can't tell you what settings to do, but I do recommend reading through the overclocking guides-- EVEN if you don't plan on overclocking-- and start setting BIOS settings manually to the right speeds/voltages.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello !

I have tried pretty much everything...ran Linx 50 times, 8 instances of Prime95(both on Win7 and Mac) all night, memtest,... The system is rock solid, I manually set everything (nothing on auto anymore) and I'm now at 3.5Ghz at very low voltages (both vcore and QPI <1.2V). The problem still occurs from time to time... I feel the problem might be DSDT or BIOS related. The fact that absolutely no problem arises when actually using the computer is pretty strange (8 instances of Prime95 for 15hours and 50 instances of Linx are in my experience enough)

The issue is not that bothering so I'll guess spending hours trying to figure this out while Apple is preparing a new baby for the summer is pretty much pointless :lol:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated though !

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
R9 290
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
0scar said:
Hello !

I have tried pretty much everything...ran Linx 50 times, 8 instances of Prime95(both on Win7 and Mac) all night, memtest,... The system is rock solid, I manually set everything (nothing on auto anymore) and I'm now at 3.5Ghz at very low voltages (both vcore and QPI <1.2V). The problem still occurs from time to time... I feel the problem might be DSDT or BIOS related. The fact that absolutely no problem arises when actually using the computer is pretty strange (8 instances of Prime95 for 15hours and 50 instances of Linx are in my experience enough)

The issue is not that bothering so I'll guess spending hours trying to figure this out while Apple is preparing a new baby for the summer is pretty much pointless :lol:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated though !

Strange indeed. I actually had the problem prop up once or twice recently. I can't find the reference, but I may have read somewhere that it might be some mobo + PSU interaction funkiness.