Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
01- Darwin Chameleon version.jpg 02 - FIRST CLOSE UP OF LAST SCREEN.jpg 03 - SCREEN BOOT INFO.jpg 04 - SCREEN INFO 2.jpg 05 - LAST SCREEN SHOWING CPU HALTED.jpg 01- Darwin Chameleon version.jpg 02 - FIRST CLOSE UP OF LAST SCREEN.jpg 03 - SCREEN BOOT INFO.jpg 04 - SCREEN INFO 2.jpg 05 - LAST SCREEN SHOWING CPU HALTED.jpg Hi. My SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8 system had been working fine since I put it together back in 2011. With the expert assistance of GOING BALD, my Gigabyte UD 7 system was ROCKING...until two weeks ago, when it decided to get stuck during booting up. It goes to the Apple screen, the progress bar starts loading, then the whole system cuts off. I've looked for solutions, attempted to unplug everything except the drive. I just found my original iBoot disc [well a copy of it anyway, made from the original one] and went to storage and after much digging about, found my SNOW LEOPARD retail disc, although much to my chagrin, I'd pulled it out of the packaging with my serial number. Which, if I can get my OSX disc running, is no problem because I can find it once up and running again. Of course, I know everyone else is probably rocking with the latest OS, but for me, it means replacing all of my music software AND a mixer...cost prohibitive at this time. Plus of course, in true Apple fashion, none of it will correctly past Snow Leopard. Any thoughts? My system? The Essentials --
Gigabyte UD7 rev 2 motherboard
Intel Core I7 quad 950 [although I LOVE the idea of being able to maybe get one of the older faster processors like the extreme series that work on this motherboard now that they've gone down in price if I could... like I said.. I love the IDEA LAUGHING]
Gigabyte Radeon 5770
24 Gigabytes of Ram [system runs in 32 bit mode on the MAC [HACK? I hate to call it that...I prefer to think of it as OSX goodness making MAXIMUM EFFORT. Only had to do it that way because Tascam refused to make a 64 bit driver for their FW 1884. They were in the process of launching their NEW desk with a lot more bells and whistles with a larger price tag.A big painful, but I get it. "It still hurts when it gets cold." Readers of the ORIGINAL DARK KNIGHT RETURNS will appreciate that reference].
If all else fails, I'm thinking of getting another drive and attempting to clone it. Last resort would be to attempt to rebuild it again from scratch. SERIOUSLY hope it doesn't come to that.
Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Used -v and caught a disk full [?] error. Not sure why, but I'm thinking if I remove the drive, put it in a drive caddy, go to my old system [which I've yet to test to see if it is still running and use one of my old drives to remove another fifty gigabytes and try to use disk utility to correct it, I may have a shot [which is terrifying in and of itself... but courage is going forward in the face of year...someone please stop me if the line between courage and foolishness is becoming blurred]. Or be able to boot from iBoot and my old OSX retail disc?

Last edited:
DISK FULL ERROR, CPU HALTED. That's what the issue is. More than a bit frustrated. If someone can please assist, it would be amazing. I've searched around the web, and did the verbose boot. That's how I found out the issue. Check this out

try booting with -v -x -s
if it boots to single used mode, type fsck -fy and hit enter. If the check disk is successful, then exit and try to boot again with -v -x boot-args

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back