Contribute
Register

OSX on a Microsoft Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I run normally on an HP ProBook and for us, we use a trick where we can swap in a WiFi card that Mac *does* recognize (Atheros), and then cover up the pins that are for Bluetooth (since that chip's Bluetooth has some issues), and then use a Bluetooth dongle to get Bluetooth working correctly.

Is anything like this possible on a Surface? Has anyone tried to take it apart yet?

@jcarlo
If the contents of the EFI partition are correct it will choose the next valid .efi loader. Can you post a tree of what you EFI filesystem looks like?

@lunar7
Unfortunately the wireless/bluetooth card is soldered on to the board, so replacement is not possible through normal means. It is also supposed to be fairly difficult to open the surface pro. About the only thing you could replace is the SSD. SEE: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12842/1

@jcarlo
If the contents of the EFI partition are correct it will choose the next valid .efi loader. Can you post a tree of what you EFI filesystem looks like?

@lunar7
Unfortunately the wireless/bluetooth card is soldered on to the board, so replacement is not possible through normal means. It is also supposed to be fairly difficult to open the surface pro. About the only thing you could replace is the SSD. SEE: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12842/1

I'll post it tomorrow. by the way instead of using Ubuntu to format, I did it by doing diskpart, clean, convert gpt, create efi, and create partitions

Okay so i've gotten my clean installed disk to boot and install. (I always like super clean installs instead of hacked/modified) I haven't gotten the installed OSX to boot though without safe mode. Although USB now works OOTB. So as soon as i figure out why it won't boot without safe mode(I believe it has to do with graphics) i will post a tutorial on how to get it installed so i can have others help me figure out ways and tweaks to get a good working system. So once i get this clean installed we will have graphics enabled, USB,and sound. Shutdown and restart work haven't tried sleep yet. pretty much i'll have the basic system working. Anyone that could help with my safemode problem please let me know. the quicker i overcome it the quicker i can move onto the next thing. i can provide screenshots and whatever else you'd need to help solve my issue. it may not be the graphics at all, it could be some underlying issue who knows.

Hey quick question. I have ordered a surface pro because well I kind of got fed up with my iPad and I needed the power/portability of a laptop. One thing though, does the clip on keyboard work? And has anyone solved the wifi issues. Cheers

it is unlikely wifi will work on this - you'd be better off getting a compatible USB Wifi Device

Amazing work, fellas. I must say, I'm finding myself very tempted to try the Gendo method for multiboot. I've been looking at investing in a tablet (~$700) and would love to have an OS X tablet with a stylus. I have three questions:

1) How stable are you finding your experience to be with it beyond the sleep problems?
2) Has anyone gotten the stylus to calibrate using the method described with the Intuos Bamboo drivers/software or is the best solution just the TouchBase and forget about pressure and right-click/erase? I just skimmed most of the Slate thread and it seemed like one or two people were able to get the pen to work fairly well.
3) Will a vanilla Win8 install work or would it be better to image the Surface (somehow), and then restore from that backup once you've gotten the drives partitioned and Clover multi-boot working.?

Also, I have a Mountain Lion install dmg (v1.3.12) I purchased last year that I wound up not using for my desktop Hackintosh--how can I figure out which point version of the OS it will install? I'm seriously blown away by what you all have been able to accomplish.

Hey guys,

hope you are well. I have got osx up and running but I have noticed a bug that I was wondering if anybody else picked up on? If I turn the surface on with a usb plugged in the usb works fine. If I turn on the surface without a usb plugged in then there is no way to have any usb device show up once plugged in.

Wondering if anyone has found a solution for this?

Cheers
Davide

I'll look into it. I finally took the plunge and picked one up. Looking forward to setting up another triple boot (or at least dual boot) if I can.

Does anyone know if Clover will work?
(sorry I haven't caught up to latest progress yet)

Hello Everyone,

Is this thread dead?

I recently Dual booting Windows 8.1 & Yosemite off my SSD on my Surface Pro 2 i5 (4300U) 256gb 8RAM, device!

this is my first "Hackintosh" so I was wondering if I can get some help:

the current issues im having are:

- No battery indicator- No internal bluetooth or wifi (must use External USB dongle)
- USB 3.0 devices don't work off the USB 3.0 port, I must use a usb 2.0 device or a USB 2.0 hub
- iMessage / Facetime (FIXED)
- Can't adjust screen brightness
- Multitouch gestures (Trail Touch-base drivers fix this issue but it cost $99 for the full)
Does anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction on how I can get the Battery Indicator, USB 3.0 and or Brightness working?!

Please and thank you!

Nice thread! :) I recently got a Surface Pro 3 and I'm trying to get it to run Mavericks and/or Yosemite. It appears I'm stuck at the UEFI boot part, and I am a n00b when it comes to Clover. Did anyone on this thread figure out how to configure Clover to be able to boot on a Surface Pro 2/3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back