Contribute
Register

OSX on a Microsoft Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I managed to get tethering to work so I could get internet. But app store can not authenticate. I only get the error 'an unknown error has occurred'. Based on some research I had to save a file Called SMBios.plist in /Extra but i have no idea where that folder is. It seems like those posts used chameleon rather than clover. There was also some mention to use EFIStudio and chameleon wizard but I could not get them to work.

I can't figure where else to go from here.

Another thing I tried is in the boot parameters in clover, is to add this: PCIUD=0 (or 1, but 1 prevented me from fully booting). But that did not seem to work.

gendo and SRU_Jake, thanks for all your help so far. I've been following along, and I keep hitting a brick wall with the install... I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction. I'm using gendo's clovercopy folder with clover r1902 for a 10.8.4 install.

I have my ubuntu 13.04 live usb for gparted and set up my EFI, mac and windows partitions with GPT (see pic, apologies for bad quality). The problem surfaces when I load up the 10.8.4 installer - when I to format my mac partition, I get a "MediaKit reports not enough space on device" volume error message. If I choose to repartition in Disk Utility, OSX happily installs but then as gendo correctly points out, the windows installer thinks it's a MBR (or hybrid GPT) not GPT and I lose the ability to install windows which sucks.

So I've tried setting up GPT with diskpart through the command prompt on the windows installer as an alternative to gparted but Disk Utility still refuses to format the partition, giving me the same error message.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

WP_20130731_006.jpgWP_20130731_008.jpg

@luckysmack

Wifi and BlueTooth will probably not work out of the box on this machine. The Marvell Avastar wifi/bluetooth combo chip has no MacOS drivers/kexts at this time and I would be surprised if there ever are any created unless Apple decides to use this chip in a future product.

I will be looking at fixing the touch/pen after I figure out how to get power management working properly on the device. Yes the calibration is off on both of these inputs.

Clover does not use a SMBios.plist. The data inside that file needs to go into the config.plist, but it needs to be modified slightly. If you post the contents of the SMBios.plist I can modify it and show you what needs to go into the config.plist.

@looksideways

Looks like in DiskUtility you are formatting it as MS-DOS Fat, what happens when you try Mac OS Extended, journaled? Also in gparted maybe set the format of the ML drive to ntfs then try the re-format in disk utility. I will do some more research on this if I get some time, but let me know if either of those work.

I eventually got it working! I tried formatting the partition into all sort of formats through gparted, but I would eventually get the MediaKit. I did some more googling, tried a couple of things, and then stumbled across this link http://blog.thedeltaflyer.com/2013/01/dual-booting-windows-8-and-mountain-lion-natively-using-efi/, which tells you how to set up a microsoft reserved partition between the EFI and mac drives. It seems that the MSR partition gives ML the freedom to re-format a partition to HFS without wanting to re-write the entire partition map. I'll share my workflow here...

1) set up EFI, microsoft reserved (MSR) and unformatted partition in the command prompt found on the Windows 8 USB installer (see link above for details)
2) go back to gparted live USB, format the unformatted partition into two sized partitions that you want for mac and windows. type of partition doesn't matter as we will be formatting again in the next step.
3) booted up mountain lion installer (i'm using 10.8.4 using r1928), formatted mac partition to HFS+ (I previously could not format to HFS+ without MediaKit error).
4) At this point it disk utility refused to see my fat32 EFI partition correctly, so I went back into gparted and re-formatted EFI partition to FAT32. I guess I could have done this at step 2, but I did it here anyway.
5) Back into mountain lion installer, installed ML onto mac partition. no problems.
6) rebooted surface, using windows 8 install USB to format windows partition to NTFS and then installed windows. Now windows is default boot.
7) booted back into new ML partition using ML installer (coz I still need to use Clover), and set up kexts for power management and installed audio from SRU_Jake's setup zip. things are good.

Now I need to install clover onto my EFI partition, and this is where I get stuck. Gendo, I followed your guide from post #50 up to step 34) and got confused where you suggest booting up the surface whilst holding down the right arrow key.

What does holding the right arrow key on boot up do? I can't seem to get it to find the Clover installation on my EFI partition, and couldn't find any documentation about what to expect when holding the right arrow key during the boot process. I also tried booting up clover from the ML USB installer and using it to find clover on my EFI partition but that sadly didn't work either.

So right now I am using the ML USB as my bootloader which isn't a terrible thing, but if I could get it to recognise the EFI clover installation that would be ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

@looksideways

Holding down the right arrow key on startup should force the device to skip the microsoft efi boot and start Clover if the BootX64.efi is in the right spot. If Clover is not coming up when you hold the key can you send a screenshot of what the contents of your EFI partition looks like?

Do you mean one of the volume keys? That's the method of booting from USB/SD...

I'm also going to be trying to get this to work as Windows 8 is driving me insane. If OS X sucks on this thing, I'm trading for something else.

@gp1138

I actually mean the right arrow key on the keyboard under the right shift key and not the volume rocker. Holding the right arrow key should cause the efi bootloader to skip the default bootloader (which on this device bootmgrw.efi will always be looked for first in the Microsoft folder) and load the next that it finds. This is not something unique to the Surface Pro and some other devices will do the same thing when this operation is performed. OSX is not optimal on this device right now, wireless and bluetooth will probably never work OOTB, pen and touch support need some TLC, and right now I can get sleep to work but only with display corruption.

Hi guys, sold my Acer w700 and got me a surface pro 64gb. I hope I made a right decision. Hopefully the intel IA android team will find a way to support for this machine.

Hi, Can someone post a detailed instructions on how to do partitions in ubuntu. I run the live ubuntu 13.04, but I get stuck how to partition in gparted. Thanks in advanced!

@gp1138

I actually mean the right arrow key on the keyboard under the right shift key and not the volume rocker. Holding the right arrow key should cause the efi bootloader to skip the default bootloader (which on this device bootmgrw.efi will always be looked for first in the Microsoft folder) and load the next that it finds. This is not something unique to the Surface Pro and some other devices will do the same thing when this operation is performed. OSX is not optimal on this device right now, wireless and bluetooth will probably never work OOTB, pen and touch support need some TLC, and right now I can get sleep to work but only with display corruption.

So yeah, right key is not working. Windows keeps booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back