Contribute
Register

OSX on a Microsoft Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one in front of me and I've installed my fair share of hackintosh setups. I'm having difficulty getting it to boot off of my Chameleon Stick. Any advice to save some of my weekend would be great. I haven't done an install since 10.8.

I have a Surface Pro. Lets do this!

I have a Surface Pro 64gb model and have installed my fair share of hackintosh setups. I haven't done it since 10.8 (not counting updates to 10.8.2). This is to say I'm a bit rusty when it comes to hardware outside the recommended hardware list. I popped in my USB install disk after disabling the secure boot options on the Surface Pro, but nothing came up. Looks like I'll have to dig deeper.

Any suggestions would be great.

I have one in front of me and I've installed my fair share of hackintosh setups. I'm having difficulty getting it to boot off of my Chameleon Stick. Any advice to save some of my weekend would be great. I haven't done an install since 10.8.

Hmm- this is a cool experiment- don't know if it's gonna work or not without some major tweaking. If I can help let me know. ;)

I have a Surface Pro 64gb model and have installed my fair share of hackintosh setups. I haven't done it since 10.8 (not counting updates to 10.8.2). This is to say I'm a bit rusty when it comes to hardware outside the recommended hardware list. I popped in my USB install disk after disabling the secure boot options on the Surface Pro, but nothing came up. Looks like I'll have to dig deeper.

Any suggestions would be great.

Any updates? Can you confirm anything? Mainly, is the stylus/pen is recognized?

VicViper, if you are still having problems booting try to disable the "Early Launch Anti-Malware protection" in the advanced settings? Once you reboot you should see your USB drive listed as an option under advanced settings. I went into a local Best Buy and gave the first step (disabled the secure boot) a try and nothing happened but didn't complete this step before leaving.

Yeah, it's a bit tricky in these early stages because for example for me, I don't want to buy one unless I know for sure I can get it to run OSX. If I had more free time I'd be braver because I could dig deeper to overcome whatever minor hurdles, but since I don't I guess I'm really counting to hear on some success more verifiable than that lone YouTube video that came out so far.

I'm working on my video workstation build now so if I have $ leftover from that I'll probably give this project a shot.

My surface pro 128gb will be here tomorrow afternoon. I'll tackle the project with full force. I want a dual booting surface with OSX. And have blue stack on my windows for android apps. It'll be my iWindroidPad haha The only issues I see that I'll have issues with is touch screen and WiFi. But I won't give up that easily lol I got my ML USB install stick ready to go when that sucker gets here. Plus next week is spring break for me so I'll have a lot of time to get it going.

engima85, did you have any luck with your install? I'm seriously considering the surface pro as a secondary work machine, and Mountain Lion is the workplace's preferred OS. I've been following the developments on this OSX on Surface Pro and would love to have a go at trying the install myself, but getting my hands on a surface pro is not as easy for people outside of the states. Let us know how you fared!!

I did! It actually only took me two days and i haven't really done much with it lately cause i had a couple exams this past week, but My spring break is this week so i'll have a ton of time to try and fit in getting things to work. I got a video uploading now to youtube showing it boot. I used the newest Clover bootloader(r1174..i think) and it boots just fine with no graphics injector. i kept getting "waiting for root device" error to begin with after i fought it to boot into clover. i used a hacked osx install disc cause i could not get it to work with my disc. First time i ever used clover (normally use chameleon) so i'm in whole new territory here. I'm sure as i go i will figure out every option needed to get a working install. I got audio and the stylus works to an extent. as i go further from the center of the screen the mouse cursor strays from my pen. Its only correct in the middle of the screen. I'm first going to tackle the small things, like optimizing video, audio, power management, and everything a basic system needs. THEN i will work on wifi, touchscreen/Stylus. i'm surprised i got it working so fast as i haven't seen anyone else even trying. It looks gorgeous on the surface's screen. like a retina display macbookair. same specs too lol. and if anyone can help me get things done faster it'd be awesome!! i'll post the link to my vid when its done!!

**EDIT**
http://youtu.be/eRczTBQciI8 here's the video of it loading!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back