Contribute
Register

OSX on a Microsoft Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I run normally on an HP ProBook and for us, we use a trick where we can swap in a WiFi card that Mac *does* recognize (Atheros), and then cover up the pins that are for Bluetooth (since that chip's Bluetooth has some issues), and then use a Bluetooth dongle to get Bluetooth working correctly.

Is anything like this possible on a Surface? Has anyone tried to take it apart yet?

You know, you should look up the iFixit review of the Surface Pro 3. That will give you an idea if it's possible.

Because it totally isn't. Getting to the insides of the Surface requires you to litterally pry the display out of the housing (most probably shattering the glass, just like iFixit, and they know what they're doing), and if you even get that far, you'll have to dig yourself through layers of sticky, messy, gooey glue of death like some sort modern day reincarnation of Indiana Jones. Repairabilty; 1 out of 10. Probably a 0 if they took that into the scaling.

But the concept of your idea isn't that bad. I think I saw someone getting internet to work with a USB-WiFi dongle, it's hideous, but at least it will get you online for the time being until someone figures out the WiFi drivers.

hi, guys.
i know, this thread ages old, and osx on msp is old news.
it happened so that i've just bought an old msp1 for 120 bucks because i wanted to have wacom pen on osx tablet.
so, playing with it now.
i just wonder - how come bluetooth is working and wi-fi is not? as i understand it's the same chip, so one part of it is ok, and another one - no way?
maybe someone has already resolved?

OSX on Microsoft Hardware? That's turning the tables....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back