Contribute
Register

OSX NAS with ECC and ZFS, along with Raid 6 (RaidZ2) questions

Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm looking to build an OSX or shortly macOS server as an NAS. I have already experienced entire raid losses because Raid 5 is no longer adequate with today's sheer HDD capacities.

Just one of the many, many sources I researched this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/07/flash_banishes_the_spectre_of_the_unrecoverable_data_error/

Unfortunately, I cannot afford an all flash array. Nor do they have the capacity yet for the sizes I need. So I need a card that OSX can use that can use Raid 6. Plus, I need to use ZFS for even more protection, but ZFS needs ECC to really do its job, since ZFS cannot differentiate an error in memory from and error from the array.

Yes, I know this may be overkill, but it took me years to build this library and the most tragic was home videos that I lost. Yes, I had a back up, which was also Raid 5, and both had the same problem. One drive died, but neither one would rebuild with new drives to replace the bad ones because of URE's. So I lost the library and the backup.

Thankfully, I still have the VHS tapes so if need be I can encode most of the home videos again, though the thought of doing that again gives me the creeps. But thankfully I burnt a copy to DVD for my family members so I'm just waiting for one of them to find theirs. But I am going to do everything I can do to not let this happen again.

I was thinking about a DAS-only Drobo to connect with my Mac mini with dual disc protection turned on, if I can't do what I want. Looking for success/horror stories with this as well.

Any suggestions on hardware that will work for OSX?