Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think you'll need to do that, fermi driver just won't load if succesfull. IIRC it'll load NVDA50 not 100 kext.

DSDT edit could be tricky, if you're lucky all you need to do is take out the PCIX PEGX device section or whatever your board uses out and you're good to go. No idea if this even works, haven't try it. But you should not get CI/QE on your 460 this way and no lockups then.

jb044 said:
Don't think you'll need to do that, fermi driver just won't load if succesfull. IIRC it'll load NVDA50 not 100 kext.

DSDT edit could be tricky, if you're lucky all you need to do is take out the PCIX PEGX device section or whatever your board uses out and you're good to go. No idea if this even works, haven't try it. But you should not get CI/QE on your 460 this way and no lockups then.

Wait.. so for those of us who're ambivalent about graphics card performance in OSX to begin with, getting the card set up in the DSDT, and thus not running CI/QE or the latest drivers, should fix the lockups?

I assume if I'm going to do this, I can simply check that CI/QE isn't running to make sure I've been successful?

namote said:
I found my IOFBMemorySize (Video memory) is 134217728 which corresponds 64MB by typing "ioreg -l | grep IOFBMemorySize" in terminal.

Can anybody fix this problem?

I have the same problem. Memory is 64MB as shown by "ioreg -l | grep IOFBMemorySize" being 134217728. Anyone know how to fix this?

5850 is about the same price

rodineinunes said:
is there any compatible with the same performance as the gtx 460? Like the GTX 460 here where I live is much more expensive than 5770 and bought less than 30 days I thought I'd switch to another

Strange thing is that I get tons of errors using this code in my DSDT.

Have edited myself a new one wich works fine, but the freezes continue.

tworems said:
namote said:
---------------------Caution!!!!---------------------I'm not Enlgish guy.

I'm using palit gtx 460 1GB with custom DSDT to inject graphic card info with HDMI audio enabled.
The key part of my dsdt is following..

Device (PEGP)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
0x09,
0x05
})
Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x1A)
{
"AAPL,slot-name",
"PCI x16",
"@0,compatible",
Buffer (0x0B)
{
"NVDA,NVMac"
},

"@0,device_type",
Buffer (0x08)
{
"display"
},

"@0,name",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"NVDA,Display-A"
},

"@1,compatible",
Buffer (0x0B)
{
"NVDA,NVMac"
},

"@1,device_type",
Buffer (0x08)
{
"display"
},

"@1,name",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"NVDA,Display-B"
},

"NVCAP",
Buffer (0x18)
{
/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,
/* 0008 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,
/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"VRAM,totalsize",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
},

"device_type",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"NVDA,GeForce"
},

"model",
Buffer (0x17)
{
"nVidia GeForce 460 GTX"
},

"rom-revision",
Buffer (0x25)
{
"nVidia GeForce 460 GTX OpenGL Engine"
},

"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

Device (HDAU)
{
Name (_ADR, One)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
}

Anyway, This enable the HDMI audio without a problem. So, HDMI thing.. may not cause freezing...

I found my IOFBMemorySize (Video memory) is 134217728 which corresponds 64MB by typing "ioreg -l | grep IOFBMemorySize" in terminal.

Can anybody fix this problem?

I must say that this fix worked flawlessly. I just didn't have the guts to turn off the wallsaver yet, as I do not believe that this will solve my freezes. Nice feature though.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, it didn't.

Please take a look at this post:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... tions.html

Mercy said:
jb044 said:

Wait.. so for those of us who're ambivalent about graphics card performance in OSX to begin with, getting the card set up in the DSDT, and thus not running CI/QE or the latest drivers, should fix the lockups?

I assume if I'm going to do this, I can simply check that CI/QE isn't running to make sure I've been successful?

That is correct, no driver = no lockups. OSX really likes CI/QE though, Safari always hangs on me when I do something wrong and don't have it. Really nice one if you're looking for pointers to fix it :) So if you have a different GPU without problems and a second PCIe, it's worth the trouble to do what you originally asked for I guess.

Well, I believe I might have found a somewhat fix for myself!

First some build info:

Gigabyte P55AUD3
eVGA GTX 460 1GB
ASUS EN8400GS 512MB Silent
8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
Intel i5 760 2.8GHz
Mac OS X 10.6.6
Mac Pro 3.1
Installed tonymac's nVidia update.

I have been a victim to the dreaded Fermi freeze as well, so I bought an 8400GS to remedy it, however, I wanted to keep my GTX460 in my case so I can play my games on Windows. So.....

1.) I unplugged my GTX460 and put in my ASUS GeForce EN8400GS 512MB Silent. Booted up OS X, no acceleration and stuck on 1024x768. So I followed this guide to enable my card and everything worked perfectly. However, the card was a little slow in processing some animations, but whatever.

2.) So now that I have my 8400GS working, I decided it's time to get both cards in there. So I plugged in my GTX 460 in my second PCI x16 slot underneath my 8400GS. Plugged my DVI cable into the 8400GS and booted up into BIOS and set it to only use PEG1 (8400GS). Started up OS X and got a KP on boot. Okay.... that didn't work.

3. So I switched the cards around, kept the same BIOS settings, booted up in OS X (plugged the DVI cable back into the GTX 460). Okay everything works. But aren't I back at square one now? Apparently not.

So far I haven't received any crashes, lockups, or kernel panics. Worked one whole day without KP'ing. Yes I know, one whole day is nothing. Well I think it is because here is something else that I did. I went back to my motherboard settings and set the graphics control back to PCI instead of PEG1 (8400GS in the second slot, the GTX 460 is in the first slot, and I have my monitor plugged in the 460), booted up OS X, and it worked for about 40 minutes before locking up and giving me a KP. So I went back to BIOS, set it back to PEG1, booted up OS X, and well here I am in the second day with no lockups and not using any temporary methods (screensaver, itunes, ect).

HOWEVER, while I am happy that so far I haven't received any lockups the performance is rather bad. While I have acceleration on and able to use 2560x1440, animations, dock, spaces, ect lag when I have anything more than a website with just text. Cinebench reports 23fps (however it also reports that I only have 2 cores instead of 4).

OTHER NOTES:

System Profiler sees and recognizes my GTX 460, however, it lists my 8400GS and unknown with incorrect properties. See photo.

Using PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my boot.plist.

I'll answer any questions or provide any info if anyone wants it. I'll report back if I get a KP or a lockup.

Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 11.49.18 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 11.49.18 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 11.49.18 AM.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 200
Petertje said:

rodineinunes said:
is there any compatible with the same performance as the gtx 460? Like the GTX 460 here where I live is much more expensive than 5770 and bought less than 30 days I thought I'd switch to another

Vou dar uma olhada nessa que voce citou, eu estava já pensando em anunciar a minha GTX460 para troca com uma HD5870

rodineinunes said:
Petertje said:

rodineinunes said:

Vou dar uma olhada nessa que voce citou, eu estava já pensando em anunciar a minha GTX460 para troca com uma HD5870

Translated lololol

I'll take a look at this as you mentioned, I was already thinking about to announce my return with a GTX460 HD5870

I have finally achieved a stable system. No crahses, no freeze, no second card, no editing the DSDT
This is what I did.

1) Got a phillips screwdriver
2) removed the fermi based card
3) installed ATI 5870
4) booted with iBoot
5) re-ran Multi-beast with Kybl's boot

No lockup's no freezing. It has been 13 hours now. This card gives me 13+ frames in Uningine. 40.2 fps
It wakes back up after sleep, Life is beautiful again.

I hope the rest of you figure out what is going on. (this is my last post in this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back