Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
sprocket said:
I've been trying to get this EFI string fix to work, but I boot to a blank screen. I think it is the NVCAP section, as the string "BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=" is for dual DVI outputs. My card is VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/DVI-D. Another card (a 7800 GTX 512MB) boots successfully with this string (it has dual DVI out).
To fix I tried this NVCAP string "0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000" which I obtained from...
Code:
ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVCAP
...after booting using GraphicsEnabler, but with the same result. By the way, graphicsenabler is disabled when I boot using the EFI string.

I'd really appreciate some help. My full in.plist is below.
Thanks!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
		<key>@0,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
		<key>@0,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@0,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
		<key>@1,compatible</key>
		<key>@1,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@1,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
		<key>NVCAP</key>
		<data>
		0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000
		</data>
		<key>NVPM</key>
		<data>
		AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
		</data>
		<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
		<string>0x40000000</string>
		<key>device_type</key>
		<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
		<key>model</key>
		<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT</string>
		<key>name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
		<key>rom-revision</key>
		<string>0x302e3176</string>
	</dict>
	</dict>
</plist>

I will prepares a step-by-step! For what did to get no-freeze! Hope that will help!

Thank you ER800 ;)

Oh I've followed most of the thread, believe me even the "ZOMG it's been stable for 4 days" has been done many times, shortly followed by "welp, it crashed, at least it's more stable than it was" (it's not, it's just completely random, it can be an hour between freezes or it can be a week)
If it can manage 2 weeks of average use (not idle), then I'll start to think about believing it :)

The 6xxx does seem like the way to go as soon as the MBP drivers are working as generic. Which is a pity as my Dell LCD needs temporal dithering turned off manually or I get pinstripes - I know how to do that with NVidia (simply install NVInject) but ATI is another matter.

Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon of the iEyes people, as I'm at 6 hours of steady use and abuse and still ticking which is more than can be said for my almost clockwork 10-15 minute KPs from before. Mind you, this is with both of the AGPM and in.plist mods still installed, but I can live with those beady eyes following my every move for a stable OS X machine.

Subject: OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

sprocket said:
I've been trying to get this EFI string fix to work, but I boot to a blank screen. I think it is the NVCAP section, as the string "BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=" is for dual DVI outputs. My card is VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/DVI-D. Another card (a 7800 GTX 512MB) boots successfully with this string (it has dual DVI out).
To fix I tried this NVCAP string "0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000" which I obtained from...
Code:
ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVCAP
...after booting using GraphicsEnabler, but with the same result. By the way, graphicsenabler is disabled when I boot using the EFI string.

I'd really appreciate some help. My full in.plist is below.
Thanks!

Code:
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<dict>
		<key>@0,compatible</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@0,name</key>
		<key>@1,compatible</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@1,name</key>
		<key>NVCAP</key>
		<data>
		0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000
		</data>
		<key>NVPM</key>
		<data>
		AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
		</data>
		<string>0x40000000</string>
		<key>device_type</key>
		<key>model</key>
		<key>name</key>
		<key>rom-revision</key>
		<string>0x302e3176</string>
	</dict>
	</dict>
</plist>

Try de code below cross fingers :crazy: :

Code:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<dict>
		<key>@0,compatible</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@0,name</key>
		<key>@1,compatible</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@1,name</key>
		<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>
		<string>0x01000000</string>
		<key>@2,#size-cells</key>
		<string>0x00000000</string>
		<key>@2,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>
		<key>@2,device_type</key>
		<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>
		<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>
		<string>0x02000000</string>
		<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>
		<key>@2,name</key>
		<string>sensor-parent</string>
		<key>@2,reg</key>
		<key>NVCAP</key>
		<data>BAAAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
		<key>NVPM</key>
		<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
		<data>AAAAIA==</data>
		<key>device_type</key>
		<key>model</key>
		<key>name</key>
		<key>rom-revision</key>
		<string>3172a</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

iEyes is NOT a fix - I ran for several days then KP, only "fix" so far that works for me is Wallsaver.

Agree that all this Fermi troubles are just a pity. Lucky for me it's just a small problem over here, keeping the system busy (with the boinc distributed computing client) seems to make a big difference and on average I get multiple hours of uptime without problems. Most of the time this is all I need for OSX.

All that I can say is that it seems to me a problem with doing something with graphics after a period of inactivity (flash for example), like so many others have concluded here before. I don't expect a proper fix any time soon, no motivation for either Apple or nVidia to do so I'm afraight :( So 'we' can either live with it, move on or keep on strugling with stupid semi-fixes :)

DukeRaoul said:
Possible fix for these cards, if the problem is related to HDMI Audio in the card causing the KP/freeze:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1596208"]http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1596208

If you are using VoodooHDA, it is very likely picking up HDMI Audio from your GTX460. If you could at all get by without using HDMI audio and use the onboard sound instead, try blocking the HDMI audio from loading in VoodooHDA with the linked method above.
Note that I cannot confirm for sure that HDMI audio is causing the freeze issue, but from reading the boards many people seem to think it is.
Also I didn't get a 460 so I can't test myself to help out (ended up getting an HD 5770, not as good but more compatible).

The VoodooHDA-HDMI audio skip thing is basically done by using the special driver posted to the above link, which is recompiled to include a device-skip key in the Info.plist - you use lspci or System Info to find the vendor/device ID of the HDMI AUDIO component of your card, then put the IDs into the skip part of the Info.plist .... read the linked post above thoroughly for the details.

I found this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247692) topic in InsanelyMac and also an interesting comment from a user (quoted above). He says that the freeze can be related to the HDMI sound on the card and VoodooHDA may possible be a fix. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I don't have VoodooHDA installed as I'm not using HDMI yet so I've not bothered to try to get it working.
Thanks for the code advice ER800. I'll try it after work!

By the way, the 6xxx series ati graphics in mbp are simply rebranded 5xxx series chips, so no 6xxx driver support until at least the time new mac pros or imacs are released. Sorry!

sprocket said:
By the way, the 6xxx series ati graphics in mbp are simply rebranded 5xxx series chips, so no 6xxx driver support until at least the time new mac pros or imacs are released. Sorry!
You mean the 6750M in the MBPs are actually the same 5750M(5850M) Chips in the current iMac?

Comment on Netkas btw:
Oh, and in other news, there IS an ATI6000Controller.kext in the new Macbook Pros!
Maybe the actual file is just a placeholder, maybe not. Something tagged as 6xxxController exists though, and should probably be coming with 10.6.7.

Off-Topic though. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back