Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
senseotech said:
Applied both the AGPM fix and this in.plist fix and System Profiler is reporting a 9400GT successfully! My novabench FPS score also went from 300 something to 527, no UI lags anymore, and so far so good on the freezes and KPs. I'll update when I have uptime worth mentioning, but as of now I'm cautiously optimistic.

Oh wow could this mean we have a successful fix for Fermi?! If someone can write up a brief tutorial on how to do it for us noobies it would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah! i hope this works...
i have the random freezing issue with my brand new gts450 ... so sad.
everything else is running very very good with 10.6.6. with the help of this forum and guides.

thx for all the info so far!

ER800, Could you do a Tut to this fix? I'm one of the many cases with a GTX460 OC (MSI Hawk) and its the only card I got working since the last (8600GT Fatal1Ty) burned inside (i think :crazy: ).

I must say you could be the hero of the year for us. :clap:

Thank you so much for all the attention and the wonderful fix! :thumbup:

No luck here after all :( I can't seem to get more than an hour and change before a freeze

I can barely get 20-30 minutes of solid usage actually. The things idles forever but freezes or throws a panic within minutes of using it.

senseotech said:
No luck here after all :( I can't seem to get more than an hour and change before a freeze

:crazy: o_O :cry:

tonymacx86 said:
senseotech said:

:crazy: o_O :cry:

I'm right there with ya. I had hoped that the two proposed fixed together would make a stable system but, barring one tweak I'm trying as we speak, it appears we're no better off with or without these fixes. Maybe the 4 day guy was just lucky lol.

I've been trying to get this EFI string fix to work, but I boot to a blank screen. I think it is the NVCAP section, as the string "BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=" is for dual DVI outputs. My card is VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/DVI-D. Another card (a 7800 GTX 512MB) boots successfully with this string (it has dual DVI out).
To fix I tried this NVCAP string "0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000" which I obtained from...
Code:
ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVCAP
...after booting using GraphicsEnabler, but with the same result. By the way, graphicsenabler is disabled when I boot using the EFI string.

I'd really appreciate some help. My full in.plist is below.
Thanks!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
		<key>@0,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
		<key>@0,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@0,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
		<key>@1,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
		<key>@1,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@1,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
		<key>NVCAP</key>
		<data>
		0400000000000600190000000000000a00000000
		</data>
		<key>NVPM</key>
		<data>
		AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
		</data>
		<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
		<string>0x40000000</string>
		<key>device_type</key>
		<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
		<key>model</key>
		<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT</string>
		<key>name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
		<key>rom-revision</key>
		<string>0x302e3176</string>
	</dict>
	</dict>
</plist>

This whole Fermi support thing is just so sad.

I'm thinking that it's never going to get solved at this point- I mean Apple/Nvidia are not going to give us non-Quadro drivers, and when the new iMacs come out, they'll most likely use ATI 6xxx discreet cards.

sigh :rolleyes:

tonymacx86 said:

I'm thinking that it's never going to get solved at this point- I mean Apple/Nvidia are not going to give us non-Quadro drivers, and when the new iMacs come out, they'll most likely use ATI 6xxx discreet cards.

Which sucks because my $160 GTX460 runs like a dream in Windows 7, is a beast at gaming, and since some idiot (me) already sent off for his rebate on it, can't be returned to newegg for something more suitable for OS X.

tonymacx86 said:

I don't mind as ATI 6xxx would be a sweet replacement for Fermi :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back