Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

this is a post of tips on how to get Intel USB working on El Capitan after Apple rewrote the USB drivers (or at least things I learned that allowed me to fix my USB, see here: OSX El Capitan - USB Issues)
There's also a guide to fixing USB written by RehabMan here: [Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Tip #1:
You're going to want to download IORegistryExplorer. It's a very useful app in determining which USB ports on your motherboard / front panel USB correspond to a certain USB node/device in your DSDT/ACPI. It's also useful in seeing if your injector actually injected the USB ports and things like that. See here: (http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html)

Tip #2:
The _OSI > XOSI patch is very useful as well in being able to fix your USB. If you notice that whenever you plug a USB3 device into a USB3 port and it shows up either in IOReg or About This Mac being loaded under EHCI (USB2) or "USB2.0 Hub", then this patch is for you. For a full explanation on how it works, refer to RehabMan's guide: "_OSI and Windows Version Checks"
You can also refer to here: El capitan USB issues - possible fix.

Tip #3:
Don't use FakePCIID_XHCIMux unless you absolutely have to! This caused some problems for me in the end close to before I successfully made my injector. What these kext(s) do is that they reroute all USB2 data from USB3 ports (so USB2 devices plugged into USB3 ports) to be managed by the EHCI controller instead of the XHCI controller to help avoid the 15 USB node limit on each controller. However, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you hit the 15 USB node limit and you still have more physical USB ports to add to your injector, as it caused some routing issues for me on some of my USB2 ports that took a while to solve. It's still a very great tool, but don't use until you have to IMO.
For a full explanation on what this does also refer to RehabMan's guide: "USB2 port routing(multiplex) and FakePCIID_XHCIMux"

Tip #4:
If you're having trouble trying to figure out which USB ports you need to put into your injector, I would recommend booting into Windows on the same computer (if you have an install of Windows on your computer), and using Device Manager to view which USB ports are connected to which USB nodes:
-Open device manager
-At the top (toolbar) click View > By Connection
-Open ACPI x64-based PC, and keep clicking down until you find your USB controllers. For me it was "Intel Extensible Host Controller (XHC) 1.0" for the XHCI/USB3 controller (or something like that), and "PCI Express Root Hub" for the EHC controllers/USB2 (or something like that).
-Plug a USB device into the port that you want to determine what node it's connected to. Once it comes up you're going to right-click > properties > details > and then from the drop-down list select "BIOS Device Name", and it will list the ACPI tree for the node that the USB device is connected to. If "BIOS Device Name" doesn't show up under the drop-down list, you're selecting the wrong USB device. Make sure you right-click on a USB device that has a USB cable image next to it, generally called "USB Hub", "Generic USB Hub", "USB Composite Device", or something of similar nature.
As an example, a USB3 external drive connected to one of my front panel USB3 ports says for BIOS Device Name: "_SB-PCI0-XHC-SSP1" (or something similar), and then you know that that USB port is connected to "SSP1" (which is USB3).

-However, don't depend on this method for everything, as Windows may route things differently than in OS X, although it can be a pretty good source to verify your USB port nodes.

Tip #5:
Be patient! As this is new, it will take a while for people to understand. It may take some people an hour as all of their hardware is compatible OOB, or other people a week or two as their hardware needs to be fine-tuned to get working with OSX's new USB drivers.

Tip #6:
If you have 7-Series Intel USB on laptops and you cannot boot with the XHCI controller enabled, try adding "Return (0)" to the first line in the XWAK method in DSDT. This worked for me, but I'm not too sure if it will work for other laptops.

Big thanks to RehabMan for helping me solve my USB! :headbang::D
Hope you guys found these tips useful! Good luck!

-Duncan

Last edited:
nice one bro !! thanks
did you tried thin on a laptop running elcap:thumbup:

nice one bro !! thanks
did you tried thin on a laptop running elcap:thumbup:

I've been attempting to get it working on my Asus VivoBook S400CA so far... haven't gotten to it much since I've been busy @ school but will get it working eventually :thumbup:

are you recommending to use FakePCIID.kext by itself and if that does not work add the XHCImux kext ?

are you recommending to use FakePCIID.kext by itself and if that does not work add the XHCImux kext ?

FakePCIID.kext does nothing by itself.

asus u3s6

I use a ASUS U3S6 PCIE Card for SATA6 and USB3 for my old board. USB3 worked flawlessly in Yosemite with the Generic USB3 kext. SATA6 worked without doing anything.

In ElCap, only the SATA6 part of the card is working. (again without doing anything)

The USB3 part of the Card is totally dead though, does not get listed in IORE. Nor as additional USB2.
I tried the two kexts in the last method described in the OP on a previous installation, then a few additional lines regarding USB3 and Apple*XHCI Controller showed up in IORE.

I'm using macpro4,1 for my board because of the dsdt patches, but as i gather only some macs are now allowed to have USB 3 like imac14,1 and so on.

Is that correct, i'd need to switch either the mac identifier to imac14,1 or change Apple's *XHCI kext to my smbios, and add some kexts with that?

asus u3s6

I use a ASUS U3S6 PCIE Card for SATA6 and USB3 for my old board. USB3 worked flawlessly in Yosemite with the Generic USB3 kext. SATA6 worked without doing anything.

In ElCap, only the SATA6 part of the card is working. (again without doing anything)

The USB3 part of the Card is totally dead though, does not get listed in IORE. Nor as additional USB2.
I tried the two kexts in the last method described in the OP on a previous installation, then a few additional lines regarding USB3 and Apple*XHCI Controller showed up in IORE.

I'm using macpro4,1 for my board because of the dsdt patches, but as i gather only some macs are now allowed to have USB 3 like imac14,1 and so on.

Is that correct, i'd need to switch either the mac identifier to imac14,1 or change Apple's *XHCI kext to my smbios, and add some kexts with that?

I would switch your SMBIOS to something recent (iMac14,1 or the like), and then you might need to make the _OSI > XOSI patch listed in the OP. :thumbup:

Hi,

Tip #2 worked for me. Thank you very much.

There is also one wired thing that I don't know if was like this in Yosemite or is new in El Capitan, it is the SATA Intel Chipset series. In system Information it shows Intel 8 Series instead of 9 Series Chipset . My build has this motherboard GIGABYTE Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.1) BIOS version F8 and it should use Intel 9 not 8. Anybody has an idea what might be the issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 09.02.53.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 09.02.53.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 2,179
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 09.01.59.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 09.01.59.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,921
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back