Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm planning to include in my new build a secondary HDD (the main disk will be SSD, of course). The purpose of the HDD will be storage, and having a partition for holding the hibernationfile (so that the sleep image doesn't wear the SSD).

Do you have any experiences with the 6TB WD Blue HDD on OSX? Does it get into power saving when idle on OSX? Any issues?

My goal would be that this drive is in power saving, with the motors off most of the time, because I want a silent computer and because I'll only access the drive when making OSX sleep or for storage.

That may be more of a BIOS setting thing, say C3, C4, C6, C7. My BIOS has settings to set SATA drive power down. I'd bet that there is a config.plist setting that can be enabled to allow that the disk drive cycle down to lowest power. You may want to go with a Red or a Green drive since they run at 5900RPM and should therefore generate less heat and need less power. Probably the Red will serve you better. idkfs.

That may be more of a BIOS setting thing, say C3, C4, C6, C7. My BIOS has settings to set SATA drive power down. I'd bet that there is a config.plist setting that can be enabled to allow that the disk drive cycle down to lowest power. You may want to go with a Red or a Green drive since they run at 5900RPM and should therefore generate less heat and need less power. Probably the Red will serve you better. idkfs.
The WD blue is 5400RPM in the specs I found. Shouldn't it be better?

Anybody with WD blue on OSX can tell their experiences? Does power saving work when it's idle?

Maybe the 6TB?, but the 1TB is 7200RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back