Contribute
Register

OSX and BIOS clock not syncing correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV gene Bios 4802
CPU
i7-3930k
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OSX and BIOS clock not syncing correctly.(solved)

I'm having a problem with the Bios clock and OSX clock. I set the OSX clock to example 10pm july 26 and restart computer, the bios clock says 2am july 27. I’m running bios 4802 on a R4G. I’ve googled for answers and can’t find anything on this phenomenon. I set the bios clock to 22:00 hrs july 26 and osx clock reports 5pm july 26. Is something wrong with my LACPI or acpi or is it DSDT related? Thanks in advance.

then why is it my bios clock and osx clock change each other. Its screwing up my mail server to google and iCloud and the App Store log in.

They will not "change each other." OS X will set the BIOS clock to UTC. You will see it in BIOS as "strange" as it is different from local time, but is no issue as you do no work in BIOS. OS X will still display time in local time per your settings in SysPrefs. BIOS will be showing you UTC time. They will be the "same time" ...

You should do all setting of the clock within OS X unless you want to bother to lookup current UTC time and set BIOS time appropriately.

i didn't feel the need to change the bios clock. I was having problems with App Store and cloud servers syncing. checked time and date in osx and it was all fine. restarted computer looked at the bios date at it said july 27 2am changed date from july 27 to the 26 and logged back in and was able to log into the App Store and mail servers. restarted again to check the bios and again it said july 27. i understand the whole UTC and greenwich. its just the first time this started happening. I will just leave it as it is and thank you for your guys insight.

i didn't feel the need to change the bios clock. I was having problems with App Store and cloud servers syncing. checked time and date in osx and it was all fine. restarted computer looked at the bios date at it said july 27 2am changed date from july 27 to the 26 and logged back in and it was fine. restarted again to check the bios and again it said july 27. i understand the whole UTC and greenwich. its just the first time this started happening.

You should expect BIOS to display differently than OS X. OS X is adjusting for local time. BIOS is not. OS X shows local time. BIOS will show UTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back