Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I was running a setup with 10.8.2 on one SSD and Win8 on the other SSD perfectly by using the F12 boot select feature of my motherboard. To boot OSX I booted UEFI and to do Win8 I selected the device on P1. For some reason I couldnt get my motherboard to do a UEFI based install using the DVD drive. My previous Win7 install was a UEFI compatible GPT one I did using USB.

Unfortunatly Win8 had to be reinstalled today. I did this without unplugging the OSX SSD. I didnt touch anything on that harddrive during the Win8 installation.
Now when I bootup my machine, the UEFI Osx drive is the primary boot device, I get a message from Win8 saying that there was a problem booting. I unplugged the Win8 SSD completely and guess what happens? Im still getting this message, euhh what?

To boot into OSX I have to now select P0 as boot device using F12. The problem is that my motherboard wont allow me to select P0 as primary boot device. For that SSD it only shows the UEFI option.

I tried reinstalling chimera on the UEFI ssd but no cheese. My machine still boots directly into Win 8.
I feel that the windows 8 installer touched something on my OSX UEFI SSD or am I wrong? While formatting I didnt touch my OSX SSD or any other harddrive.

The reason I was using the F12 boot selection method was because I couldnt get chimera to boot Win8. If anyone has any solution to this, even if it makes Chimera the primary boot method and selector please feel free to post.

hi,

now first up i'm an NOOB so if my advice works it's pure luck...
I having similar trouble and have found some things regarding this kind of problem on my way.

In windows 8 there is a kind of superboot option, this makes the os boot as fast as it does (under 7 seconds in my case from hard boot!). This however also makes for the fact that somehow windows 8 boot is always preferred, whatever you try to do, like hit f8 for boot options or even to access the bios for that matter.

How to put the windows 8 boot back in it's place and regain control of your booting sequence:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

this might not be what you are asking at all but it just might help you in the right direction.
now on with my own problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back