Contribute
Register

osx 10.6.5 and 8400gs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am new to the hackintosh platform. I currently have installed the iboot + multibeast 2.6.0 method, and upgraded to 10.6.5 with easybeast.

When using the 10.6.3 retail install dvd my video resolutions was correct, but I was stuck using iboot to bootup. When I ran multibeast and did the upgrade to 10.6.5, I am stuck at 1024x768. I have tried both the osxtools and efi strings apps but they did nothing

Any help is much appreciated.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
243
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
core2x48 said:
I am new to the hackintosh platform. I currently have installed the iboot + multibeast 2.6.0 method, and upgraded to 10.6.5 with easybeast.

When using the 10.6.3 retail install dvd my video resolutions was correct, but I was stuck using iboot to bootup. When I ran multibeast and did the upgrade to 10.6.5, I am stuck at 1024x768. I have tried both the osxtools and efi strings apps but they did nothing

Any help is much appreciated.

What shows up in Display settings in system preferences?
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Only 1024x768.

If I need to go in and edit files I can, this won't be a problem. I just need to know where to go and what to do.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
install of iboot+10.6.3 seems ideal, my graphics and ethernet is fully enabled. Install of multibeast causes the graphics settings to be overridden and breaks what is otherwise an OOTB install.

Is there a way I can do a regular 10.6.3 install with iboot, then modify boot parameters to boot from hard drive without using multibeast?
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
243
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
core2x48 said:
install of iboot+10.6.3 seems ideal, my graphics and ethernet is fully enabled. Install of multibeast causes the graphics settings to be overridden and breaks what is otherwise an OOTB install.

Is there a way I can do a regular 10.6.3 install with iboot, then modify boot parameters to boot from hard drive without using multibeast?

Have you tried using EFIstudio 1.0 to enable your graphics card? I see that EFIstudio includes the 256mb and 512mb versions of the 8400gs. Just select your card from the drop down menu and "Add Device". Then on the screen that comes up next you can add it to your com.apple.boot.plist. That did the trick for me the first time I built my system.Screen shot 2010-12-07 at 7.44.03 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-12-07 at 7.50.44 PM.png
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello RandomNumber

After doing the multibeast+10.6.5 update, I tried both EFIstudio and os86xtools.

EFIstudio: I got a message saying it wrote to the com.apple.Boot.plist file. Rebooted but video was still stuck at 1024x768. Upon subsequent fresh installs of 10.6.5, I got a message saying it was unable to write to it.

Tried os86xtools: Unable to write to .plist
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
243
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
core2x48 said:
Hello RandomNumber

After doing the multibeast+10.6.5 update, I tried both EFIstudio and os86xtools.

EFIstudio: I got a message saying it wrote to the com.apple.Boot.plist file. Rebooted but video was still stuck at 1024x768. Upon subsequent fresh installs of 10.6.5, I got a message saying it was unable to write to it.

Tried os86xtools: Unable to write to .plist
I'm afraid I'm not helping much. I know your card works judging by this wiki:
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.5

Did you repair permissions and rebuild cache after using EFIstudio? I'm just tossing out ideas.
Are you using VGA or DVI?
Maybe try another PCI slot?

Hopefully others with more specific knowledge will weigh in soon.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
hello dh22r

In addition to the below, I tried graphicsenabler=y at boot time but did nothing.

With iboot+10.6.3 my graphics is fine, except that I need iBoot to boot. com.apple.Boot.plist is:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

multibeast 2.6.0 using easybeast and system utilities, and 10.6.5 update com.apple.Boot.plist is the same as above but graphics is stuck at 1024x768 and is:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

same 10.6.5 update but now after applying EFI_Studio is with graphics still stuck at 1024x768:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
	<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a0100000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</string>

</dict>
</plist>
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
11
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello Random#

I did enter graphicsenabler = y but did not do anything. Using OSX tools I get System Events got an errror: Can't get property list item "Kernel"
of the property list file "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"(-1728). 1024

Looks like OSXtools is trying to getproperty value of kernel in this xml file but there is'nt any such key....

In the .plist file I do not see any property key index called Kernel. I do see the key "kernel flags" with a null value (XML code in earlier post).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top