i7 3770k 3.5
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all!

I'm having a touch of bother getting OSX 10.6.3 loaded to enable me to get updated to mountain lion.

I specifically bought parts listed on the site to make the build and install as simply as possible, but failed to realise that I needed a core 2 duo minimum to create a usb mountain lion drive. Following the installation guide I get a kernel panic each time I attempt to get to the install screen using 10.6.3, please help; please?!

Panic message reads;

unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/usr/local/src/xnu-1504.15.3/iokit/kernel/ioplatformexpert.cpp:1385

I have stripped the system down to GAZ77XUD5H, i7 3370K, 8gb ram, sandisk 240gb SSD, Blu ray player, monitor linked by on board graphics but still get the same message. I've tried a variety of options, PCIRootUID=1 etc but this still throws up the same panic.

I have access to another hack but its a P4, and my macbook pro is core duo so I am unable to create a mountain lion USB drive.

Any tips, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated as I need OSX on this build, otherwise I spent a fortune for nothing and the wife may kill me in my sleep as a result!

thanks in advance for any help

K

Hello all!

I'm having a touch of bother getting OSX 10.6.3 loaded to enable me to get updated to mountain lion.

I specifically bought parts listed on the site to make the build and install as simply as possible, but failed to realise that I needed a core 2 duo minimum to create a usb mountain lion drive. Following the installation guide I get a kernel panic each time I attempt to get to the install screen using 10.6.3, please help; please?!

Panic message reads;

unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/usr/local/src/xnu-1504.15.3/iokit/kernel/ioplatformexpert.cpp:1385

I have stripped the system down to GAZ77XUD5H, i7 3370K, 8gb ram, sandisk 240gb SSD, Blu ray player, monitor linked by on board graphics but still get the same message. I've tried a variety of options, PCIRootUID=1 etc but this still throws up the same panic.

I have access to another hack but its a P4, and my macbook pro is core duo so I am unable to create a mountain lion USB drive.

Any tips, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated as I need OSX on this build, otherwise I spent a fortune for nothing and the wife may kill me in my sleep as a result!

thanks in advance for any help

K

KC
You will need to use the command string as follows - "acpi=off -v PCIRootUID=0"

IN BIOS press the optimized defaults then change the SATA to AHCI and check that S3 for power management is set as well as the HPET
( some new BIOS have this now set on and don't show it )
In the BIOS set video to internal not both - set the video ram to 64 megs
turn off VT-d - virtualization for now.
enable legacy USB support.

If your booting from iBoot Ivy Bridge to install the Apple SL DVD - the Retail DVD is white w pic of snow cat on it the Grey ones which are recovery DVD 's are not suitable for this process.

Your ram is ok as the iBoot CD has a limit on the amount of ram it will use; pre programmed into it.

Do search the site w our search function for your motherboard and read up on any success stories that you can find to get info that was used.

Thanks for the quick reply, the code line helped to see the process but it continues to fail to install, various errors reported, eg. io errors with disk1s3. I think my install copy of snow leopard may be 10.6 and not 10.6.3. I've tried various bios settings and no change. Will try and get another copy of 10.6.3 and follow the guides again. Unfortunately there are no specific guides for my motherboard booting from 10.6.3 most start with the USB install of 10.8.2/3, and those from 10.6.3 simply refer to the standard install guide listed on this site. Thanks again. K

Thanks for the quick reply, the code line helped to see the process but it continues to fail to install, various errors reported, eg. io errors with disk1s3. I think my install copy of snow leopard may be 10.6 and not 10.6.3. I've tried various bios settings and no change. Will try and get another copy of 10.6.3 and follow the guides again. Unfortunately there are no specific guides for my motherboard booting from 10.6.3 most start with the USB install of 10.8.2/3, and those from 10.6.3 simply refer to the standard install guide listed on this site. Thanks again. K
Are you using iBoot Ivy Bridge to boot with before swapping for the SL DVD? Version of DVD whether 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 should not matter.

try with -v -x npci=0x3000 with the dissplay connected DVI (NOT VGA - VGA won't work)

Are you using iBoot Ivy Bridge to boot with before swapping for the SL DVD? Version of DVD whether 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 should not matter.

try with -v -x npci=0x3000 with the dissplay connected DVI (NOT VGA - VGA won't work)

Yeah I've been using iBoot ivy bridge before using SL 10.6 retail. I have just tried your suggested code line and I get a panic again.

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x27cc10): pmap_steal_memory etc

This is getting stressful, it was easier to install on a p4!

Yeah I've been using iBoot ivy bridge before using SL 10.6 retail. I have just tried your suggested code line and I get a panic again.

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x27cc10): pmap_steal_memory etc

This is getting stressful, it was easier to install on a p4!

KC

This could be a couple of things - memory specs and having the XMP settings match the ram specs

You could also need to use the A9 BIOS for this MB - as mentioned in this link
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...uccess-loading-snow-leopard-ga-z77x-ud5h.html

here is another link
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60208

also
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66858

See if you can find more of this w a search of this MB in our Site w the search tools - also Google

amazing, thanks for the help, however it didnt work. I ended up finding a thread re: installing from USB drive which has worked. again amazing, however, when updating to 10.6.8 following the guide here on tonymacx86.com it freezes on the apple screen and will not load to desktop... i've done the usual and googled etc but cant find a resolution. all threads state that there is no DSDT for my board, GAZ77xUD5H, so i've been doing the basic easybeast and systems utilities options and on reboot it just hangs. again another frustration. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and investigated.

cheers again

KC

amazing, thanks for the help, however it didnt work. I ended up finding a thread re: installing from USB drive which has worked. again amazing, however, when updating to 10.6.8 following the guide here on tonymacx86.com it freezes on the apple screen and will not load to desktop... i've done the usual and googled etc but cant find a resolution. all threads state that there is no DSDT for my board, GAZ77xUD5H, so i've been doing the basic easybeast and systems utilities options and on reboot it just hangs. again another frustration. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and investigated.

cheers again

KC

KC

Yes You and a lot of other users have had issues w the 10.6.8 Combo Update - being hard to install - You should try with the Combo Update 10.6.7 which is an easier install. And will get you the Apple App Store Icon,
As for no DSDT - that normal and you should be able to use the easybeast w/o DSDT install method -
Of course I assume your headed toward mountain Lion if so the sound is not important only Network is important.

If you can install the Base OSX 10.6.x then install the OSX 10.6.7 Combo Update - do not use MultiBeast - you should be able to get the network working ( jack on rear of motherboard) and connect. Then see about the Apple App store connect login purchase download and make the ML thumb drive.
You will need to use the Ivy Bridge Boot CD for all boot ups when your running OSX 10.6.x

KC

Yes You and a lot of other users have had issues w the 10.6.8 Combo Update - being hard to install - You should try with the Combo Update 10.6.7 which is an easier install. And will get you the Apple App Store Icon,
As for no DSDT - that normal and you should be able to use the easybeast w/o DSDT install method -
Of course I assume your headed toward mountain Lion if so the sound is not important only Network is important.

If you can install the Base OSX 10.6.x then install the OSX 10.6.7 Combo Update - do not use MultiBeast - you should be able to get the network working ( jack on rear of motherboard) and connect. Then see about the Apple App store connect login purchase download and make the ML thumb drive.
You will need to use the Ivy Bridge Boot CD for all boot ups when your running OSX 10.6.x

Again thanks for all the help regarding this. I managed to get to mountain lion as lickily for me a friend turned up with a suitable macbool pro to enable me to create a usb boot disk. This install worked but it wouldnt boot, resolved the issue thanks to post on the site by using the chameleon boot loader. Problem now is that I can not get my GTX650 2GB video card to work. So I shall leave this thread and investigate the current issue.

Cheers again to all who helped, greatly appreciated.

KC

Again thanks for all the help regarding this. I managed to get to mountain lion as lickily for me a friend turned up with a suitable macbool pro to enable me to create a usb boot disk. This install worked but it wouldnt boot, resolved the issue thanks to post on the site by using the chameleon boot loader. Problem now is that I can not get my GTX650 2GB video card to work. So I shall leave this thread and investigate the current issue.

Cheers again to all who helped, greatly appreciated.

KC

kc

Ok then as your now on Mountain Lion and therefore will need to open a new thread in the Desktop Support for Mountain Lion support Forum I will close this thread.

tote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back