Contribute
Register

OSX 10.15 Catalina - Random Freezing Issue [UNSOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here on Catalina 10.15.6 random freeze.
If I wait to much to reboot, when I get to the BIOS I loose the NVMe rive where I have the OS installed. So I have to play around couple of times with BIOS and reboot.
Also notices that when these freezes occur my BIOS time is set back 2 hrs!

Anyone having this issue I would do a deep dive on hardware issue. Mine was resolved by what I believe was cpu temp spikes. Make sure your cpu voltages are in a safe range. I had to manually enter my cpu core voltages as my board was auto over voltaging my cpu. I believe a lot of freezing issues come down to a hardware issue somewhere in your system

Same here on Catalina 10.15.6 random freeze.
If I wait to much to reboot, when I get to the BIOS I loose the NVMe rive where I have the OS installed. So I have to play around couple of times with BIOS and reboot.
Also notices that when these freezes occur my BIOS time is set back 2 hrs!

Not sure if we are having the same issue. Maybe you can try to attached a HDD to your machine if it has only SSD.

I installed a NVMe PCIe card in which I installed the NVMe, before was on the board. Ramdom freeze are still present but less frequent.
I will continue to update the ktext and see if something changes.

I installed a NVMe PCIe card in which I installed the NVMe, before was on the board. Ramdom freeze are still present but less frequent.
I will continue to update the ktext and see if something changes.

Attaching a HDD to one of the SATA ports has fixed my random freeze issue though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with HDD.

I had random freezes in my HackHannah system. I had two Seagate 4TB IronWolf HDD's setup in a software raid. After changing to 2 x 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD's (also in software raid), system became stable!

Problem is RAM related. Without XMP, system has been stable for more than a week now.

Last edited:
I have a HDD and SSD attached to SATA 3, but looks like something is wrong with the NVMe and the mb I use.
For example the writing speed is like a SSD while reading is like a NVMe.

Update: I got a Samsung 970 EVO Plus to replace my other NVMe, cloned the OS to it and got a stable system, running for 4 days no problems. Writing/Reading is up to almost 3000Mb/s, should be a bit more but ok.
So looks like mb and macOS/hackintosh did not like the other NVMe, will use it for something else !

The other issue I see, is that the WiFi icon is off, but if I select it there is the option to "Turn WiFi Off", I do not have a WiFi card in my WS. So a kext is not set properly. Any ideas?

On two of my Z390 builds with random freezes, what helped was to delete the photo library.
Start reading about this problem here.
Or you can do this.

On two of my Z390 builds with random freezes, what helped was to delete the photo library.
Start reading about this problem here.
Or you can do this.
What finally did the trick for me: switching off XMP in bios. Allthough my RAM is on the QVL for my mobo (Thomas3), XMP causes the system to randomly freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back