Contribute
Register

OS X Mavericks is Now Available on the Mac App Store for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make a prediction right now...I have no facts or figures I can point to, just my gut (which hasn't been an awfully bad predictor in my life so far :p ) --

I'm going to make the prediction that the major change that Apple will justify moving from "Mac OS X" to "Mac OS XI" -- because, remember, they can keep Mac OS 10 forever (10.9, 10.10, 10.11, etc) -- will be official support (if not directly) for installation of standard PC hardware.

My guess is that the announcement would be combined with licensing deals with companies like Dell, HP, etc.

Frankly I think Apple has probably already crossed the tipping point where they could continue selling computers solely on aesthetics and cost-to-performance (Apple Laptops constantly rate very high, etc.)

Looking at the changes from Mac OS 10.4 to 10.9, it just seems to me (I'm happy to admit I am *not* a programmer, so my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it :) ) that the Mac OS is becoming more and more "commodity" and less and less Apple Hardware centric. Said another way, for the class and showiness of Apple Machines -- which are second to none in my humble opinion -- and the class and showiness of Mac OS X (compared to Windows I mean), it just seems as though Mac OS X is becoming more and more seamless and that it is requiring less and less work (save for drivers) to install it on non-Apple Hardware.

To be honest, I've thought this ever since investigating DSDT files. It's 100% possible *right now* (legal blocks not withstanding and a custom bootloader) for a Motherboard Manufacture to support Mac OS X seamlessly with a customer-written DSDT file (which would be very easy for any motherboard manufacture looking to devote a tiny modicum of time to create).

I could easily see Apple taking advantage of their online-centered shipping strategy (speaking to the App Store) to direct people to custom, UniBeast-like programs provided in an official framework from Apple that would allow a downloaded copy of Mac OS X Mavericks (for example) to be written to a USB stick with the custom motherboard manufacture provided DSDT files and official Mac OS X drivers preinstalled.

Now compare that to installing even Windows 8 on commodity hardware. Sure lots of motherboards work right out of the box, but how many can provide you with an official, "custom built" version of Windows for *your* *specific* *board*?

I'm not talking about pre-built PCs (where Windows is pre-installed, etc.), I'm talking about how many Motherboard Manufactures actually give you the option of purchasing a *custom* *crafted* copy of Windows specifically tuned for *your* motherboard when you buy it?

I dont low if there is a forum already created for this, but is anyone else's Maps App working. Mine seems to kill the systems performance and it will never load the map.

Article: OS X Mavericks is Now Available on the Mac App Store for Free

I dont low if there is a forum already created for this, but is anyone else's Maps App working. Mine seems to kill the systems performance and it will never load the map.

this is an update for free because nothing has really changed aesthetics wise,,, and with the next osx which is actually os 11... you will be paying for it... watch and wait ppl.. but mavericks is a gem and im waiting to see this thing get installed on my rig and i fully support the merge away from cats lol

Figured the problem out:

Can't download Mavericks from App Store. My About This Mac > System Report still says iMac Summer 2001 and somesrlnmbr no matter what I do to smbios.plist with Multibeast or Chameleon wizard. I think that's why it won't let me download from app store. I'm on a Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to latest ML with Chameleon.

It was indeed that my system was regarded as an iMac Summer 2001 system, and the reason it was not recognizing my smbios.plist in the 'Extra' folder was due to the SMBIOS key I had in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file.

I originally had:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>BOOT/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
Tried other variations, etc:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>smbios.plist</string>

The solution is to remove the key and string for SMBIOS altogether. The bootloader must, by default, look for the smbios.plist automatically in the Extra folder. I did this, restarted, and viola....no more iMac Summer 2001 and no more serial number SOMESRLNUMBER. The app store would then let me start to download Mavericks with no argument.

I have a different sort of problem--I successfully downloaded Mavericks from the Apple Store, it appeared in my \Applications directory and I made a copy for safekeeping to my NAS. I then followed this Unibeast procedure all-the-way to Step 17, having checked "Mac App Store Mavericks - 10.9 Install 10Mb" and enter my password and FAILED instantly. Worse, my Install OSX Mavericks app of 5.3Gb has disappeared from my \Applications directory!

When I try now to copy my saved Install OSX Mavericks.app from my NAS back to \Applications, I get an error "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8084)".

Why did "Install OS X Mavericks" disappear from my \Applications directory? Is there some trick to copying the .app directory from my NAS back to Snow Leopard?

Please someone--I don't want to have to download the 5Gb file again, not to mention that Unibeast failed to build the USB?

I'm going to make a prediction right now...I have no facts or figures I can point to, just my gut (which hasn't been an awfully bad predictor in my life so far :p ) --

I'm going to make the prediction that the major change that Apple will justify moving from "Mac OS X" to "Mac OS XI" -- because, remember, they can keep Mac OS 10 forever (10.9, 10.10, 10.11, etc) -- will be official support (if not directly) for installation of standard PC hardware.

My guess is that the announcement would be combined with licensing deals with companies like Dell, HP, etc.

Frankly I think Apple has probably already crossed the tipping point where they could continue selling computers solely on aesthetics and cost-to-performance (Apple Laptops constantly rate very high, etc.)
Snip...............

I have to agree there. I have no doubts that the shift to intel based hardware would eventually lead to the OS as a stand alone item that could be used to finally break Microsoft of owning that market. Although I was hoping Apple would go back to their old ways and use obscure technology and come up with some 256 bit platform based unit based on chip technology from an alien world.

- - - Updated - - -

I am diving in. Already backed up my SSD to another SSD just in case=)

Tried to install Maverick. But no effect.
Downloaded it fromStore.
Run the insatller.
Seems to copy some stuff for 13 seconds
Reboot and....
10.8.5 still

Wether I run or not Multibeast afterwards.

System is very stable on 10.8.5.

GA Z68X-udh5
Core i7 4770K
16GB Corsair.
SSD crucial 128 Gb
No addiotnal graphic cards.

Any idea?

Thanks to Tmnymac and the team for their fantastic tools.

Philby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back