Contribute
Register

OS X Mavericks doesn't restart or shutdown correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
CPU
i5-3330
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have recently installed OS X Mavericks and Windows 7 on my PC. I followed the dual-boot guide provided on this site and have Windows 7 running 100% perfect. Mavericks on the other hand isn't the best. I have everything working, the WiFi (ASUS-N13 B1 USB DONGLE), Sound (VOODOO HDA), Display (GTX 650) and so on, but when I click restart, the screen goes to a gray screen for 3-4 seconds and then shows a black screen, and then I get no display from the PC but everything is still running. When I press shutdown, the gray screen appears for 3-4 seconds, then the black screen, then no display, but my HDD shuts down but all the fans and optical drive are still functional (power supply stays on). This is not a MAJOR issue, but I would rather have it fixed then leaving it alone. I have done some research, but found nothing good.

Thank you in advance :)

UPDATE:

If I remove RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from the Extensions folder, it seems to work, but the internet doesn't. Does anyone know any alternative to that? I have an ASUS-N13 B1 USB Dongle, and Im using ASUS_USB D2870-4.2.3.0_ UI-2.0.7.0_2012_03_06 drivers with its USBWirelessUtility. Thanks.

[SOLVED] OS X Mavericks doesn't restart or shutdown correctly!

UPDATE 2:

I have resolved this issue with a quick Google search of "RT2870USBWirelessDriver". I found out that the kext I had been using was intended for Lion, which resulted in no shutdown and no restart. From the Google search I have found an updated kext file made for Mavericks. If anyone else has an issue similar to mine, Here are the instructions:

:thumbup:I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR COMPUTER, THIS MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.:thumbup:

1) Locate your original RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from System/Library/Extensions and delete the file (make a back up of it if you are not sure it this fix would work)

2)Restart the computer

3)Using Kext Wizard, install the new RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext file.

4)Restart your computer again

5)Once booted in, make sure you WiFi is functional, if so test out if it shutdowns and restarts. If so, you have successfully fixed the no shutdown and no restart issue!:D

Thanks for all the help this website has provided, it is amazing!!

Attachments

• RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip
    632.5 KB · Views: 62
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back