Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey RehbMan.
First, thank you for everything you do for this community!

Question:

I've followed the instructions and got my 960 EVO to be bootable and be used as my main drive after using this guide http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Gui...rt-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html as my Mobo doesn't support NVMe natively.

As you can see in the screenshots, I don't know which app to believe. What is my real speed? :)
View attachment 239426 View attachment 239427 View attachment 239428

I'm using this adapter card:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7MPU9J/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

@ Dr. Drum - Update to Black Magic Speed test to version 3.1 they now support faster speeds:

Also are these speeds consistent with other Samsung 960 Pro 500GB NVME drives??

Thanks!

-GS

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.26.57 PM.png

Last edited:
got sierra booting on 960 evo/rampage IV gene. guitarguy77, thanks for the info!

looks like it. you might try a pci-e adapter if needing higher sequentials. i've been a bit hard on mine lately, though it shows close to a clean drive. in a 3.0 x 16 slot via an adapter:

tired drive.jpeg

Last edited:
All I had to do for my desktop was add an ACPI identity that matches the location of the PCI device. Nothing else was needed.

As can be seen from ioreg (and DSDT), your SSD is connected at _SB.PCI0.PEG1:
- the PEG1@1,1 (in IOService) corresponds to Device (PEG1) and _ADR=0x00010001
- all PCI devices are usually under PCI0 (as confirmed in DSDT)
- PCI0 is usually in scope _SB (as confirmed in DSDT, and IOACPIPlane of ioreg)

This should be all you need:
Code:
//SSDT-NVMe.dsl
// add an ACPI identity for built-in NVMe SSD at _SB.PCI0.PEG1.SSD0
DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "nvme", 0)
{
    External(_SB.PCI0.PEG1, DeviceObj)
    Scope(_SB.PCI0.PEG1)
    {
        Device(SSD0)
        {
            Name(_ADR, Zero)
        }
    }
}
//EOF

Copy it to a new document in MaciASL, then save as SSDT-NVMe.aml (format ACPI Machine Language Binary).
Then copy to EFI/CloverACPI/patched (on your EFI partition).
If you're using config.plist/ACPI/SortedOrder, make sure it refers to this file (otherwise it won't load).
All I had to do for my desktop was add an ACPI identity that matches the location of the PCI device. Nothing else was needed.

As can be seen from ioreg (and DSDT), your SSD is connected at _SB.PCI0.PEG1:
- the PEG1@1,1 (in IOService) corresponds to Device (PEG1) and _ADR=0x00010001
- all PCI devices are usually under PCI0 (as confirmed in DSDT)
- PCI0 is usually in scope _SB (as confirmed in DSDT, and IOACPIPlane of ioreg)

This should be all you need:
Code:
//SSDT-NVMe.dsl
// add an ACPI identity for built-in NVMe SSD at _SB.PCI0.PEG1.SSD0
DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "nvme", 0)
{
    External(_SB.PCI0.PEG1, DeviceObj)
    Scope(_SB.PCI0.PEG1)
    {
        Device(SSD0)
        {
            Name(_ADR, Zero)
        }
    }
}
//EOF

Copy it to a new document in MaciASL, then save as SSDT-NVMe.aml (format ACPI Machine Language Binary).
Then copy to EFI/CloverACPI/patched (on your EFI partition).
If you're using config.plist/ACPI/SortedOrder, make sure it refers to this file (otherwise it won't load).

Thanks for posting this, I've been searching all over for a code that works. How do you get this code to work for 2 nvme's?

Is there a tutorial anywhere for how to boot from NVME on High Sierra using the new drivers it comes with? thanks

edit couple weeks later: I found out that NVME works out of the box on Sierra using SSDs that support 4096 bytes block size (not Samsung those are fixed 512 bytes) so got a THNSN5512GPU7 a great MLC drive and used OZC SSD utility to format it to 4096 and all good on Sierra don't need to use High Sierra after all :)

Last edited:
I tried to install a 960 Evo today, used the NVME script, put the NVMeHackr kext into S/L/E and got a Kernel Panic while booting. Interestingly Clover boots El Capitan just fine without the M.2 SSD installed. I'm on 10.11.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back