Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
although the partition I left for Sierra was in the middle and now I'm getting "MediaKit reports not enough space" when trying to reformat it. This is weird...

Not weird. Expected.

OS X/macOS is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.
See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

Also, Win 10 doesn't like the drive type change in Bios, so probably I'll end up reinstalling Windows.

Yes. Change from IRST to NVMe requires new drivers.

But... The drive shows now. At this point I had the kext patches from dmitry's thread and no Hackr kext.

Suggest you use the spoof/Hackr method.

The Hackr kext on its own, doesn't work.
Just as dmitry, the only way I could make the ssd show up was to add all those kext patches, including the 10 to 01 one.
Tried a bunch of permutations, but no luck.
With the partitioning too, it wouldn't format even if I created a larger efi partition.
As it was a new build, I let it erase the disk and now it's installing.
If you have and tips or suggestions for the next steps, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Good day everyone!

I have just bought two SM916 and I am currently trying to "move" (fresh installations) my OS's (Windows 10 and Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.4) inside them from the old SSD's.

Before even trying to install Sierra on the new SM916 I am trying to see under the current working installation on the old SSD with no success. I have updated Sierra to the latest version, launched the patch_nvme script with the --spoof option and moved the generated kext inside EFI/Clover.... first and S/L/E afterwards. The system does not recognise the drives. I have done the same with the Sierra bootable USB stick moving the kext inside its EFI/CLOVER/..../other with no success.

Both the old installation and the bootable USB have Sierra 10.12.4.

Any idea?
Thank you very much

Edit: just realised there is a troubleshooting thread where you guys require more details and attached files. I'm on it!

Edit: read the instructions on the git repo, added the new configurations on the config.plist file, moved the kext and solved everything. Thank you very much RehabMan

Last edited:
Good day everyone!

I have just bought two SM916 and I am currently trying to "move" (fresh installations) my OS's (Windows 10 and Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.4) inside them from the old SSD's.

Before even trying to install Sierra on the new SM916 I am trying to see under the current working installation on the old SSD with no success. I have updated Sierra to the latest version, launched the patch_nvme script with the --spoof option and moved the generated kext inside EFI/Clover.... first and S/L/E afterwards. The system does not recognise the drives. I have done the same with the Sierra bootable USB stick moving the kext inside its EFI/CLOVER/..../other with no success.

Both the old installation and the bootable USB have Sierra 10.12.4.

Any idea?
Thank you very much

Edit: just realised there is a troubleshooting thread where you guys require more details and attached files. I'm on it!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Very slow write speeds on Patriot Hellfire nvme using a pcie card. It used to do about 1300/2300 write/read, and now it does about 500-900 write (read still the same). I am using the hackrnvme + delete ionvmefamily method on el capitan 10.11.6. I have tried everything, including deleting tons of data to free up about 90GBs. Tried different PCIE slots on mobo and still. About this mac shows correct info (ie x4, 8.0G/T).

I have a 512GB ssd from an MacBook Air(Samsung MZ-JPU512T/0A6) with an m.2 adapter on my gigabyte z170 mb, but its not showing up anywhere(in OS X Sierra or win10(dual boot)...what kext do I need?the generic one or RehabMans?
the SSD is brand new...never been used..

Last edited:
The generic kext is no longer supported and doesn't work in Sierra. (The generic kext only permitted your M.2 SSD to be used as a data drive, not a boot drive.) So you need to follow RehabMan's guide in this forum section.

Thank you, Stork :) I will try and see if it works :) would say I´m intermediate level in hackintoshing so I will probably figure it out :)
edit1:strange...have nothing in my system folder...system folder I had to search for because it doesn't show in finder...I managed to create the patched kext and install it using kext wizard..had to take the vanilla ionvmeFamily.kext from my iMac because I could not find it on my hackintosh...
edit 2:duuhh!...just needed to show hidden folders :p getting rusty :p lol
edit 3:doesn't seems to work...I used the spoof method though..gonna try regular then come back if success :)

this is what i have done so far:
1.made the hacker kext (I only copy paste from the readme on rehab man git site)in terminal and the kext is made
2.i install the kext with kext beast into /s/l/e,l/e...remove ionvmeFamily kext
3.Reboot,but no SSD present in system info nvmeExpress tab or pci tab(nothing there at all)
4.i check the extension tab as well and the kext comes up but the kext arent even loaded it says and also tried to forceload the kexts in clover configurator but no change
is there something I'm missing doing?

am I correct that all this is just for the regular samsungs nvme(pci-e,sata etc) ssd....not apples pci-e(Samsung)ssd?

update:got me an m.2 to pci-e adapter...so tried the pci-e apple ssd on an m.2 adapter on an pci-e adapter on the pci-e x4 slot oon the mb...still no luck :p lol..was just to see if it actully worked..
but reading alot that maybe an usb enclosure for the apple ssd maybe the best option... owc (macsales.com)sells them so gonna wait 14days so i maybe can buy one...will report back then...

Last edited:
I would assume it's throttling. In windows, I'm using a Samsung 960 EVO. After some initial testing, (mounted it in a PCIe adapter, no native m2 slot), attached a heatsink along w/a fan blowing across, writes went from 300 to 1600 (temps dropped from 32c to 23c). I'm still trying to get the drive noticed under Yosemite (x79 board w/NVMe support BIOS mod)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back