Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black magic seem to cap on 2000.

Clearly a BlackMagic bug/design deficiency. You didn't actually believe the speed recorded was *exactly* 2000, did you?

Hello, Rehabman,

I currently have a MacBook Pro 15" 2015, and am trying to install 960 EVO NVMe 1tb. I found out that I cannot boot Sierra from the NVMe drives, so I want to know what other possibilities I can think of at the moment.

I already have an adapter to overcome the physical incompatibility (http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html) - all MBP cannot do is, from my knowledge, EFI recognition.

One thing that this laptop is incapable is that this one only has one PCIe slot unlike to the Mac Pro, so booting has to be done through NVMe drive. Is my understanding correct? If this (NVMe in MBP) setup is even remotely possible, I want to know where to start and how to install. Can I use a third party bootloader to boot in real mac systems? I want to know if either Clover or REFIt would work in real mac systems.

How do I prepare the nvme drive for the installation, how do I format it, how would this drive be recognized, or .. etc.

Thanks!

Hey donrchoi,

Been reading your chat with Rehabman and I was wondering if you ever managed to get your setup with the Macbook Pro and an NVMe drive to work. I have been doing research into this for a while now but I am going to attempt this with an Intel 600p SSD and a Late 2013 Macbook Pro.

Would love to know how you got on. Good news I hope!

YES!

Recently bought the Intel SSD 750 400GB PCI based on my Asus z97 Deluxe board. Everything works properly with the nvme kext.

View attachment 170491

can you please share your clover folder?
Would you mind to write a step by step guide? thank you in advance.
my disk 750 also works slowly 802 reads 834 write

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 10.59.06.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 10.59.06.png
    667.3 KB · Views: 204
@RehabMan do you know if your patch has anything to do with effecting speeds? I just installed a Toshiba OCZ RD400, its working well, however my write speeds are making out at about 1100, and the Read speeds are over 2000, using x99 asus II on El Capitan, im missing about 500 write speed, either way its still a major improvement over the regular SSD and thank you for your work

@RehabMan do you know if your patch has anything to do with effecting speeds? I just installed a Toshiba OCZ RD400, its working well, however my write speeds are making out at about 1100, and the Read speeds are over 2000, using x99 asus II on El Capitan, im missing about 500 write speed, either way its still a major improvement over the regular SSD and thank you for your work

It does not affect speed.
If your drive supports a 4k block size, you should set it that way and avoid the patches...

I have GA-Z170X-UD5-TH with Bios F20 and new Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (MZ-V6P512BW)

I need your advise for my hardware setup, what is the right way for me?

Should I use the NVMe driver for OS X from macvidcards.com/nvme-driver.html
or I must use the patch method from Rehabman?

thanks

thanks Stork, it's was very useful and I successfully patched my new Samsung 960 PRO M.2 and install latest Sierra OS, but only with my speed test I unfortunately not happy, I don't know, maybe I have done something wrong by patching and post installation.
just upgrade to new bios F21 and upgrade to newest Clover-r4045-UEFI but there is nothing changed by my m.2 speed.

Could you please explain why there is such a poor speed on Samsung 960 PRO M.2 by Samsung speed is declared as read/write Up to 2.100 MB/s - Up to 3.500 MB/s

but I have only:confused::problem::cry::

AJA Speed.jpeg

Last edited:
I get always different speed, don't know why is happens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back