Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all I signed up to ask a bit of a newbie question, I hope someone can help me.

I have a 5k iMac and I have a Samsung 950 NVMe m.2 sad left over from my pc. I bought a USB 3 m.2 enclosure and formatted the drive (in my pc) to ExFat however OSX is not seeing it at all.

Before I took the rather complicated looking (for me) steps to install the driver mentioned in this post I wanted to check if you think this would help me as I am connecting it via USB3 and not internally.

Thanks in advance

Your drive would be connected via USB, not NVMe. So this guide will not help you...
You should open a separate thread (likely on a different site... one for Apple products...)

I'd like to upgrade my hackintosh to boot from a bigger, faster NVMe drive... I have a couple of noob questions - and I didn't see answers from reading this thread:

Just to clarify - can I put an M.2 drive - like the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (with adapter) on a GA-Z97X-UD7 TH motherboard (9 series)? I'm assuming this would be at the '2x' speeds of a 9 series motherboard?

I use clover from the EFI partition on my main macos drive - would that mean maintaining the hackintosh would require me to need an alternative boot method to edit those kexts during any OS upgrade?

Will a PCIe 3.x drive work on a 9 series motherboard?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
You can use Clover to boot your Mac... it is just a matter of disabling all the hack related Clover features since most of them would not be needed on a real Mac.

Suggest you start by booting Clover from USB and experiment from there.

I'm currently making the Clover bootable USB. And, I'll be using a default config.plist (attached). Once I can get my USB to be running in my Mac, I'll press option key during the boot, and will boot USB efi, and will run the Sierra.

My question is, though, once I can run the Sierra installer and install the macOS to the NVMe, could my computer actually detect NVMe drive as "start up" disk, and automatically start from NVMe. I'm a bit confused about how this process will enable NVMe during the boot. I know the kext file that JimJ made will be enabled "after" the boot, but would Clover actually ever reroute this enabling even before the booting?

Also, I'm little having a hard time configuring the SMBIOS profile where to get all the correct information of my own Mac.

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.4 KB · Views: 216
You can use Clover to boot your Mac... it is just a matter of disabling all the hack related Clover features since most of them would not be needed on a real Mac.

Suggest you start by booting Clover from USB and experiment from there.

I now ran into something other unexpected problem. I could actually boot into macOS installer with clover USB, however, once I exited and reboot, now computer does not even offer me any "option" disk selection options, nor resetting NVRAM, nor resetting SMC, now the computer completely frozen - does not even show the apple logo anymore. Right now, my computer runs its fan very loudly, and stuck like that. Please help, rehabman!

I'm currently making the Clover bootable USB. And, I'll be using a default config.plist (attached). Once I can get my USB to be running in my Mac, I'll press option key during the boot, and will boot USB efi, and will run the Sierra.

My question is, though, once I can run the Sierra installer and install the macOS to the NVMe, could my computer actually detect NVMe drive as "start up" disk, and automatically start from NVMe. I'm a bit confused about how this process will enable NVMe during the boot. I know the kext file that JimJ made will be enabled "after" the boot, but would Clover actually ever reroute this enabling even before the booting?

Also, I'm little having a hard time configuring the SMBIOS profile where to get all the correct information of my own Mac.

For your config.plist/SMBIOS, you will want to fill it out with the actual data from your Mac.

I've never tried to setup a real Mac to start Clover automatically. I only did it with USB via Option key. You will need to experiment to see what is available from SysPrefs->Startup Disk. And you will need to see if the Apple EFI firmware even recognizes Clover on an NVMe drive as a bootable target.

If you wish to pursue this further, you should probably open a separate thread in the appropriate forum.

Hey RehabMan,

Just a heads-up that the same thing happened to me with 10.12.3 as with the 10.12.2 patch. The md5 hashes before and after patch application don't match. Using combo update, system is v. 16D32. Here' the output of the patch script:
Code:
Creating patched HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext
Vanilla MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (b54230d2816150a4d57b000d23bf1fc1)
Patched MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (2ea6658fbc1b161b4e1131ba5c2c5196)

The HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext generated works fine, though. Attached is my original IONVMeFamily.kext

Pato

Last edited:
Hey RehabMan,

Just a heads-up that the same thing happened to me with 10.12.3 as with the 10.12.2 patch. The md5 hashes before and after patch application don't match. Using combo update, system is v. 16D32. Here' the output of the patch script:
Code:
Creating patched HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext
Vanilla MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (b54230d2816150a4d57b000d23bf1fc1)
Patched MD5 matches expected MD5 entry (2ea6658fbc1b161b4e1131ba5c2c5196)

The HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext generated works fine, though. Attached is my original IONVMeFamily.kext

Pato

What do you mean by "don't match"?
The output you provide here shows "...matches expected MD5...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back