Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the NVMe disk as my boot disk. Since hackerNVMe cannot co-exist with IONVMeFamily, I assume I have to install Sierra booting from a USB and not simply upgrade in which case the computer would fail to boot, am I right?

When the install procedure is complete, can I boot with USB (that has hackerNVMe in Other), install HackerNVMe to Kexts/Other on disk (why not Kexts/10.12 instead?), head to S/L/E and remove IONVMeFamily and then reboot from SSD?

I don't think Clover currently use this InjectKext=Detect, since I now have HackerNVMe in Kexts/10.11 and FakeSMC in S/L/E and that would not be possible if InjectKext is set to Detect if I understand correctly. Should I still put Hacker in S/L/E instead of Kexts?

Edit: Just realized, can I make it real easy for me and put HackerNVMe from 10.11 in Kexts/Disabled, put old NVMeGeneric in Other, and use Upgrade option? No USB necessary at all, then boot Sierra with NVMeGeneric, put that back in Disabled, put new HackerNVMe_10.12 in Other and delete IONVMeFamily from S/L/E?

All this assuing Generic works under Sierra and can co-exist with IONVMe.

Last edited:
I use the NVMe disk as my boot disk. Since hackerNVMe cannot co-exist with IONVMeFamily, I assume I have to install Sierra booting from a USB and not simply upgrade in which case the computer would fail to boot, am I right?

When booting the 10.12 installer, use the appropriate KextsToPatch entries in your config.plist (as suggested in my patch-nvme README on github).

After installation, you can generate HackrNVMeFamily, install it, and remove IONVMeFamily.

When booting the 10.12 installer, use the appropriate KextsToPatch entries in your config.plist (as suggested in my patch-nvme README on github).

After installation, you can generate HackrNVMeFamily, install it, and remove IONVMeFamily.
I did this. During boot from USB, it booted successfully to a grey screen with beachball loop.

I tried some things but nothing helped. Followed a guide for my motherboard, except for adding the entries between <array></array>. I edited in TextEdit (made sure formatting was set to Plain) and opened in Clover to make sure the .plist was fine.. Clover displayed everything normally.

Think I'm gonna hold off a while.

I would like to use a M.2 in a pcie slot just for video editing. Is there a certain one that works out of the box. El Capitan with clover.

Samsung SM951, AHCI model.

Hey RehabMan, I have a question. I'm running my Hackintosh on an 850 EVO SSD, and my Windows 10 OS on an NVMe drive (Intel 750 Series SSD). On El Capitan, the NVMeGeneric.kext worked perfectly just so I could view/copy/work with the files my Windows drive. Is there an updated version of NVMeGeneric.kext that I can use to do that? I don't need to boot Hackintosh to an NVMe drive, I just want to enable the viewing of files on an NVMe drive. Is this possible?

Hey RehabMan, I have a question. I'm running my Hackintosh on an 850 EVO SSD, and my Windows 10 OS on an NVMe drive (Intel 750 Series SSD). On El Capitan, the NVMeGeneric.kext worked perfectly just so I could view/copy/work with the files my Windows drive. Is there an updated version of NVMeGeneric.kext that I can use to do that? I don't need to boot Hackintosh to an NVMe drive, I just want to enable the viewing of files on an NVMe drive. Is this possible?

https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

I'm in the middle of ordering parts for a new system based on the gigabyte GA-z170x-ud3 ultra and am stuck on choosing a ssd. I'm looking between a nvme drive and a pcie ahci. I haven't really seen much of a way of a guide on installing sierra to a nvme so not sure if I wanna to go that route. How do I use the patch for installation. Or is the speed difference not really significant enough to go with nvme over a pcie ahci drive.

Snoopy, for how much work you're going to have to do with an M.2 NVMe, see my Gene installation in my build description (link in signature block). The installation of the M.2 ACHI in MyHero system was just like installing on a regular SATA SSD.

Is this driver working with Sierra? I can't get it to work on my new build which is
gigabyte Z17DX-UD5, 6700K, 32GB ram Samsung Pro 256GB installed I'm the NV slot I am booting off a Samsung 850 EVO
Done a clean install downloaded the nvme driver I first did a
sudo chown -R wheel:root have.kext driver
Then I used the kext installer on this website rebooted but it locks up after loading!the nvme driver.

I have no need to boot off of it but it would be nice to use it for Photoshop / LR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back