Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved out NVMeGeneric.kext from Clover and replaced it with HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext (created using RehabMan's instructions and script) on my NUC5i7RYH + Samsung 950 Pro build. It worked. No Clover KextsToPatch entries were needed. Performance is the same (~1400-1500MB/s r/w in both AJA and Blackmagic tests).

Last edited:
Moved out NVMeGeneric.kext from Clover and replaced it with HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext (created using Piker's instructions) on my NUC5i7RYH + Samsung 950 Pro build. It worked. No Clover KextsToPatch entries were needed. Performance is the same (~1400-1500MB/s r/w in both AJA and Blackmagic tests).

Just to clarify, the instructions and scripts for creating HackrNVMeFamily-*.kext are by RehabMan. The patches it applies to IONVMeFamily to create HackrNVMeFamily are the work of PikeRAlpha and Mork vom Ork.

Just to clarify, the instructions and scripts for creating HackrNVMeFamily-*.kext are by RehabMan. The patches it applies to IONVMeFamily to create HackrNVMeFamily are the work of PikeRAlpha and Mork vom Ork.

sorry :oops:. Corrected. Thanks :).

Thanks for the tip on the new kexts for Samsung 950! Used the patch for 10.11.6 from RehabMans distribution. Everything looks good know.

I actually had an interesting problem last night, I believe this is related more to hardware than hackintosh:
Until now I have been using the old SSD as the EFI drive to boot into the m.2 drive. Yesterday I finally installed clover and co. to the 950 pro, booted up, and got stuck with initial boot screen. I was not able to access BIOS, nothing. Even reseting the BIOS did not do anything. Finally taking out all my Sata drives, and the m.2; and then reseting the BIOS did the trick.
Furthermore, plugging in the m.2 - everything works; plugging in m.2 + 1 ssd - same problem as before. So currently I am running the system with the 250gb 950 Pro, and two 1TB storage drives. My extra SSD's are unplugged.
Any idea what could be causing the boot problems?

p.s. During the problems the motherboard posted A2 messages, and now when everything runs I have A0 error codes.

edit. oh yes, it seems I have also lost power management.
System:
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
i5 4690K
Gigabyte GTX 950
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 1866 MHz
(iMac 14.2)

Thanks for the tip on the new kexts for Samsung 950! Used the patch for 10.11.6 from RehabMans distribution. Everything looks good know.

I actually had an interesting problem last night, I believe this is related more to hardware than hackintosh:
Until now I have been using the old SSD as the EFI drive to boot into the m.2 drive. Yesterday I finally installed clover and co. to the 950 pro, booted up, and got stuck with initial boot screen. I was not able to access BIOS, nothing. Even reseting the BIOS did not do anything. Finally taking out all my Sata drives, and the m.2; and then reseting the BIOS did the trick.
Furthermore, plugging in the m.2 - everything works; plugging in m.2 + 1 ssd - same problem as before. So currently I am running the system with the 250gb 950 Pro, and two 1TB storage drives. My extra SSD's are unplugged.
Any idea what could be causing the boot problems?

p.s. During the problems the motherboard posted A2 messages, and now when everything runs I have A0 error codes.

edit. oh yes, it seems I have also lost power management.
System:
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
i5 4690K
Gigabyte GTX 950
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 1866 MHz
(iMac 14.2)
The motherboard manual says you can't use some SATA ports with some m.2 configurations.

The motherboard manual says you can't use some SATA ports with some m.2 configurations.
I didn't know that. Need to have a look!
Nevertheless, I am using a PCI-express adaptor, not the m.2 port on the MoBo. And somehow it worked without a problem until I installed clover to the M.2.

I didn't know that. Need to have a look!
Nevertheless, I am using a PCI-express adaptor, not the m.2 port on the MoBo. And somehow it worked without a problem until I installed clover to the M.2.
Right, you said that in an older post. Since we're talking Z97 then I don't know for sure. How are the 1TB storage drives different than the SSD? Just the presence of an EFI partition? What if you mark the EFI partition on the SSD as a different kind of partition and/or rename the EFI folder on the EFI partition on the SSD?

Right, you said that in an older post. Since we're talking Z97 then I don't know for sure. How are the 1TB storage drives different than the SSD? Just the presence of an EFI partition? What if you mark the EFI partition on the SSD as a different kind of partition and/or rename the EFI folder on the EFI partition on the SSD?

This was my thinking also, somehow I think I should delete the additional "boot-devices" confusing the bios.
I will give it a try when I don't need the machine so urgently! Need to complete few projects, and don't want the problems before I am done :)

Booting 10.11.6 using RehabMan's patched kext with a 950 PRO 512GB. Flawless! 2.4GB/s read, 1.5GB/s write.
Using it with the OS X installer also worked well.

Has anyone found an temperature monitor that works with NVMe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back