Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can report the config.plist patch worked for me as well. I edited my config.plist, removed the generic kext from the 10.11 folder, and rebooted. I went ahead and rebuilt caches out of an abundance of precaution. NVMExpress now shows my 950 under the "Apple SSD Controller"

I think there are going to be a lot of people (those using Clover KextsToPatch) with corrupt file systems when the first update to IONVMeFamily.kext arrives.

To avoid, see here: https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

I didn't realize the danger there. Thank you for pointing this out. Here's a question:

I used the "generic" NVMe driver to get my Skylake build going, and then (as I posted above) reverted to the KextsToPatch method. In order to implement your patch, it sounds like I need to revert that change and switch back to the generic NVMe driver first, in order that I may use your patch to generate the patched version. Is that right?

In order to implement your patch, it sounds like I need to revert that change and switch back to the generic NVMe driver first, in order that I may use your patch to generate the patched version. Is that right?
You can remove the patches from config.plist and apply the patch-nvme without going back to NVMeGeneric. Just don't restart until both tasks are done.

You can remove the patches from config.plist and apply the patch-nvme without going back to NVMeGeneric. Just don't restart until both tasks are done.
That's correct. See my post here in my Gene build description for the steps I used to install RehabMan's patched kext.

I didn't realize the danger there. Thank you for pointing this out. Here's a question:

I used the "generic" NVMe driver to get my Skylake build going, and then (as I posted above) reverted to the KextsToPatch method. In order to implement your patch, it sounds like I need to revert that change and switch back to the generic NVMe driver first, in order that I may use your patch to generate the patched version. Is that right?

No need to switch to NVMeGeneric.kext at any point during the transition. Just install the HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext and at the same time, remove the patches for IONVMeFamily from your config.plist.

No need to switch to NVMeGeneric.kext at any point during the transition. Just install the HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext and at the same time, remove the patches for IONVMeFamily from your config.plist.

Thanks a bunch. I was able to switch over to the HackrNVMeFamily file without issue. Applied the same change to my USB disk and tested that, too.

One more question: When 10.11.6 comes out, what should the process be?

One more question: When 10.11.6 comes out, what should the process be?
I have the HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext in the /EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 folder. It appears to correctly override the NVMeFamily.kext (since NVMeFamily.kext doesn't match our devices). Hopefully it will continue to do so when 10.11.6 arrives (if it doesn't have some weird private dependency on anything else in 10.11.5). If there's a problem, then you should be able to go back to NVMeGeneric.kext until a new patch is made. If you have NVMeGeneric.kext in your EFI partition in a folder called KextsDisabled then you can use commands in the EFI shell to move it back like this:
Code:
fs0:
ls
mv EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11/HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.5.kext KextsDisabled
mv KextsDisabled/NVMeGeneric.kext EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11
Change fs0 to fs1 or fs2 or fs3 or fs4 etc. until ls shows the files on your EFI partition. It may help to put a folder in each EFI partition with a folder name that identifies which EFI partition it is when you use the "ls" command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back