Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just wanted to chime in with my experiences with this ssd...

I have been using it since the driver came out for OS X, it works perfectly for me, with sleep, shutdown etc and no kps.

I used to have the reboot after shutdown issue before i even upgraded to the 950 pro, ticking 'fix shutdown' in clover solved the issue.

One thing i did try (which i haven't seen anyone else do) was to make a fusion drive with the 950 and a 3tb hard drive. The creation of the fusion drive was successful, and i was able to copy data to it etc. I then tried to install OS X to the fusion drive, but it failed with an obscure error message. No matter what i tried i couldn't make it install successfully. In the end i settled for using the 950 as a boot drive and the 3tb for storage. This arrangement has worked perfectly.

Interestingly enough, the terminal commands for seperating the fusion drive caused a freeze and was never successful. I ended up just formatting both drives individually.

D

Thanks for the info @DaveLloyd. I made the difficult decision to stick with the native AHCI driver for my boot drive, but that is awesome it's working for you. Eventually I want to pick up the 950 Pro to create a Fusion Drive like you describe.

Thanks for the info @DaveLloyd. I made the difficult decision to stick with the native AHCI driver for my boot drive, but that is awesome it's working for you. Eventually I want to pick up the 950 Pro to create a Fusion Drive like you describe.

It will happen brother :) only a matter of time before Apple stop being arses and make a native nvme driver. Their macpro community deserve as much

I gave the new Toshiba OCZ RD400 256gb m.2 drive (RVD400-M22280-256G) without success. Without the NVMe driver it was invisible as expected.

With the ssd in my motherboard's m.2 slot the drive became visible when I installed NVMeGeneric.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folder. During startup I would get an exception during boot about the com.Minstor driver.

I bought one of the recommended m.2 PCIe adapters but the results were the same. I also tried to install the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the drivers64UEFI as recommended by UNOE on post 60 - i was reviewing the steps and I am not positive I did the "BIOSblockIO" in clover so I'll give that a try and if it works update this thread.

In the end the SM951 in the m.2 slot was plug and play since the NVMe driver was already installed.

I gave the new Toshiba OCZ RD400 256gb m.2 drive (RVD400-M22280-256G) without success. Without the NVMe driver it was invisible as expected.

With the ssd in my motherboard's m.2 slot the drive became visible when I installed NVMeGeneric.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folder. During startup I would get an exception during boot about the com.Minstor driver.

I bought one of the recommended m.2 PCIe adapters but the results were the same. I also tried to install the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the drivers64UEFI as recommended by UNOE on post 60 - i was reviewing the steps and I am not positive I did the "BIOSblockIO" in clover so I'll give that a try and if it works update this thread.

In the end the SM951 in the m.2 slot was plug and play since the NVMe driver was already installed.

I have the OCZ RD400 512 m.2 Drive - I've tried my M.2 slot in the mother board, and with the expansion card and get the same crash every time (screen shot attached) Something to do with "nvme_identify_controller failed" . I have the NVMe kext in the 10.11 folder and i've tried with and without the NvmExpressDxe-64 in the the drivers 64 and then even manually moving the NvmExpressDxe-64 into the Drivers64UEFI folder. Nothing seems to let me boot.

My mother board is GA-Z97X-UD3H updated with the most recent bios. The RD400 shows up in the Bios just fine. and my windows 7 shows it as well.

Help ?!?

Attachments

• 2016-06-09 15.40.55.jpg
    2016-06-09 15.40.55.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 184
Hello dear friends

are these drivers good for the THNSN5512GVU7?

are they generic or for specific ssd?

Thank you

Hello dear friends

are these drivers good for the THNSN5512GVU7?

are they generic or for specific ssd?

Thank you

Since that drive looks like a Toshiba based SSD I would avoid it and buy a Samsung m.2 drives. Be aware Samsung offers both an NVMe interface and the older ACHI versions.

Hey guys,

just want to share my Experience with that kext:
I have a Samsung 951 NVMe.
Installation worked fine. Speeds are insane: 1135 read, 1984 write.

I'm just having one Problem: The shutdown/restart thing.

I just saw this cure for the shutdown/restart problem. It bares watching the result. Start here. (I'm unable to test this procedure at this time.)

After reading that, I thought it solved the Problem.
But my Hack keeps getting Kernel Panics during shutdown.

I think I'll get a normal SSD, since that bothers me a bit and there no fix in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back