Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is your 950pro recognized? mine is as External 256 GB Solid State PCI Drive and I get kernel panic when i restart/shutdown
Using an Intel 750 SSD with this kext, I get the same KP on reboot/shutdown.

I received today
mz-hpv2560-sm951
252Gb
this model need any drivers?
any kexts?
thanks.

Hi there!

Does anybody tried to use 950 PRO with ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 mini adapter?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/HYPER_M2_X4_MINI_CARD/

Right now I'm using Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard, with 10.11.3 clover bootloader. I wonder if it will be compatible with the adapter and the board?

I've just installed the 256GB 950 PRO on that card, installed NVMeGeneric.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and installed NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI. Boots, shuts down and restarts without issue but hangs for 10 seconds or so waking up from sleep. The drive is seen in System Profiler under PCI, as NVMe Express Controller and strangely shows "Ethernet" under slot. Disk Utility lists the drive as an External Physical Volume. Also in BIOS, it's important to select the first boot option as "UEFI (name of boot drive)". Although for my motherboard, the name "UEFI SAMSUNG 950 PRO" doesn't show up in BIOS. However, all other SSD's and HD's connected to the SATA bus are clearly named. There was one option called UEFI boot, and when selected, resulted in successful booting.

Since we have such different MB's, this card may or may not give you similar results. I've read other posts in this thread that mention having success with the Sedna card. You may want to get that one as more than one poster has claimed that it works for them. Good luck.

I've had success on X79!

So, I wanted to document my success on an unsupported platform. Big shout out to UNOE who gave me a push in the right direction.

So I have a Rampage IV Extreme with a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro. I used this PCI-E adapter to get it working (but I don't think it's very adapter specific at all) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01798WOJ0/

At first the 950 Pro didn't show up under my boot devices in my BIOS. I was a bit worried that I would have to modify my BIOS, but it turns out that all I had to do was let my BIOS initialize all drives and eventually it came up fine. I originally loaded the default config in my BIOS and that showed me my 950 Pro. I have the most up-to-date BIOS for my Rampage IV Extreme if that makes a difference. I saw some people say they saw the device as "PATA" but mine didn't specify.

I put NvmExpressDxe-64.efi into my "drivers64UEFI" folder. You can do this by installing Clover to a random USB flash drive with the "BiosblockIO" setting enabled and make sure to install "NvmExpressDxe-64" under the drivers64 section. After that move the file from drivers64 on your flash drive to drivers64UEFI folder on your boot device.

Then I placed NVMeGeneric.kext into my relevant kext folder (10.11 for me). I'd suggest against placing it elsewhere, or in two places at once. It could potentially cause issues loading it up.

Also make sure you have the boot flag "usekernelcache=no" in your clover config.plist. I've noticed issues with root device if that is not enabled. Your boot might be a bit longer, but being able to boot at all I think takes precedence, haha.

Also if you are cloning your old install to an NVMe drive, make sure you disable TRIM before you clone it! Having TRIM enabled could potentially cause booting issues. Personally I wasn't able to clone my drive over successfully, so I made a fresh install and it worked right away.

When booting, it's important you choose the "UEFI OS" 'drive' when booting. Choosing my 950 Pro itself won't boot. Kind of odd that it shows up as UEFI OS instead of just appending [UEFI] in front of the drive name.

Here is a picture I took with my phone at first boot.

2016-03-19%2017.03.55.jpg

Really hope this helps other people out! It took me all day to get it working, so I figured I'd share what worked for me.

For those who can't get the above working and have an unsupported chipset/mobo, you might need to modify your BIOS to get it working. It should work for all 6-series mobos and up. Check this thread out http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Gui...for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Hey all!

I can confirm, that the NVMe 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (with PCIe Adapter) works as a boot drive with MacOS X 10.11.4 using the following drivers:

"NvmExpressDxe-64.efi" driver in the "drivers64UEFI" folder in the Clover EFI partition

"NVMeGeneric.kext" in the 10.11 Kext folder in the Clover EFI partition

My mainboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H (F10 BIOS) running a 4790k and 16GB RAM. So far no crashes and blazing fast!

Attachments

• results.png
    results.png
    122 KB · Views: 239
I'm getting kernel panics with NVMeGenerics.kext trying to boot 10.11.4 installer.
Probably I'm the only one :(

Installed NvmExpressDxw-64.efi in my drivers64UEFI folder, NVMeGenerics.kext in my 10.11 kexts folder, booting with kext-dev-mode=1 and still getting KP.

That's strange 'cause I didn't have KP with 10.11.3, wondering if it's driver related or something else...

i just received the asus hyper m.2 hyper adapter for my asus maximus vii
and it seems to work very well , i only got the 950 last week so it was running in the m.2 slot at 700/700
but now with the adapter the 4 lanes are working at full speed , i did try to instal elcaptain in a couple ways when it was in the m.2 slot just to experiment , cloning, fresh install, it seems the fresh install was the only way i could get it to boot fine into it off the usb stick , but as soon as i ran multibeast for audio etc i would get the circle with a line at the start , but now that i have the adapter i will sit down and give it a proper go :)

950 test.jpg

Does anyone have this driver working on 10.11.4? I get a kernel panic :(

Updated to 10.11.4 on my Gene system (see Post #222) in my User Build description) booting from the Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe SSD with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back