Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I was away on travel and was unable to look into it. I think it could be related to my GFX card since i have that installed in one of the PCIx16 slots. I have a bunch of cards.

GTX 980 TI (second PCIx16 slot)
OSXWiFi + Bluetooth Card
Sedna M.2 Adapter Card (this card is in the top PCIx16 slot on my motherboard)

The NVMe kext isn't in Multibeast, so you need to use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on the NVMe drive. Then copy the NVMe kext to EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 to make the NVMe drive bootable.

I am using only the M2 samsung 950 and no other disc in my new setup, connected directly to the mobo. From my macbook i have inserted the Kext to the unibeast USB with el capitan 10.11.3. I can install the OS X without any hassle, but after i install multibeast inside the system and reboots. I get the "Still waiting for root" message.

You mention that the NVMe kext should also be placed inside the system once its installed right (not only in the unibeast usb)? So my question is. How do i transfer this kext to that position without accessing the OS X?

Or do i need to re-install the OS X to be able to reach it, and before i reboot the system i should place this Kext inside the ssd EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 ?

I will try that now anyways and see if it helps.

Just installed a new copy of OS X into the ssd. entered the system. Installed Multibeast and used Efi mounter to mount the ssd. inside the EFI / Kext / 10.11 i put the NVMe file. Reboot. Same message and freeze: Still waiting for root device.

This is the last message i can read:

AppleUSBXHCIPCI CreatePorts. Ports limit reached. Not creating the remaining 6 ports.

More information:
Installed fresh OS X and did not install multibeast atall. reboot. Bios does not find the UEFI so cannot boot anything (obviously). Insert the USB and boots unibeast. I can from there enter the SSD. However, if i do the multibeast and boot with usb to enter the ssd osx. It will not work.

I have tried Multibeast in both UEFI boot mode and Legacy Boot mode. With the NVMeGeneric.kext inside the SSD EFI / KEXTS / 10.11 .. still Waiting for root.

Edit: I have now also with the help from EasyKext utility installed the Nvmegeneric.kext into the ssd system. However, after it says its finished (and need reboot) i cannot see the kext under /extensions ?
If i drag the kext directly to library/extensions i get: System extension cannot be used
the system extension was installed improperly and cannot be used, please try reinstalling it.

Don't know how to proceed =/

Are you running on a skylake board?

Sounds like you need to follow the skylake starter guide and deal with the USB port limit issue

Once you have the USB's config.plist sorted then you should be able to boot your main drive. get that sorted first, then you copy everything from the USB to the EFI partition on the boot drive.

Your NVME extension should be in the USB kext folder, which will end up on your boot drive later.

If it works it would be a great way to keep that x58 in the same league as x79. With 6 core already your not lacking much.

It worked! You can see here how I did it at post #39

Tony, This is excellent news! I've been waiting to pick up a 950 PRO for my z97x-ud3h until more support became available. Question, when you say "install the NVMeGeneric.kext in Clover's EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11" you put this on the drive itself once OSx is installed OR in the EFI partition on the USB installer?

I'm assuming on the USB installer first, then install 10.11.3 on the 950 PRO, then boot back into OSx using the USB and copy the driver over to the 950. Is this correct?

...I'm assuming on the USB installer first, then install 10.11.3 on the 950 PRO, then boot back into OSx using the USB and copy the driver over to the 950. Is this correct?
Yes.

How is your 950pro recognized? mine is as External 256 GB Solid State PCI Drive and I get kernel panic when i restart/shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back