Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually not sure what was not clear, because each step was in my post? Do you have a specific part you don't understand?

thanks UNOE for the quick reply,
I was wrong, I did not know what was the clover ...etc, you are using MAC, any similitude regarding win ??? I hope that the NVME will be reconized by the rampage IV E, and bootable

Thanck you again.

I guess these figures are from the 256GB version?

And congrats on the excellent writeup UNOE (i.e. #60)!

Yes 256gb version

I had something like that happen on ElCapitan. I'm booting Yosemite with my 950 pro because I prefer it. I could not get monitor overlocking to work on El Capitan.

But when I was booting El Capitan with the 950 and 840. The issue l had was for some reason one of the SMBios I generated would not boot. I have no idea what I used the same one with Yosemite with no issues. I tried every setting in clover and I traced it back to the SMBIOS. I'm using another Smbios generated with new numbers and it boots fine.

Probably not what your dealing with just sharing that with you incase. Try a different config file.

I am considering switching my boot drive from SATA III SSD to M.2.
I would appreciate any tips, insight, feedback, advice, etc. from anyone who has experience with a configuration similar to mine, especially the Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H motherboard.

My system:
El Capitan installed with Unibeast and Multibeast (thanks tonymac)
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H motherboard
Intel 4790k CPU
16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
Currently using onboard graphics

The M.2 drive I am considering is the Samsung 950 PRO PCIe 3.0 M.2 (256 or 512GB).

Thanks,
Mike C.

I would appreciate any tips, insight, feedback, advice, etc. from anyone who has experience with a configuration similar to mine, especially the Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H motherboard.

My system:
Intel 4790k CPU

The M.2 drive I am considering is the Samsung 950 PRO PCIe 3.0 M.2 (256 or 512GB).

Thanks,
Mike C.
What I wrote up should work perfectly for you if you already have a clover install, you will need only the nvme kext and the nvme efi driver. You can use OS X boot disk with disk utility to clone the oldssd. Then boot with oldssd efi for first boot install clover and then clone clover folder from oldssd to 950 pro, after that should run just like your oldssd did.

Edit : in fact there should be a link to NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the first post that would be helpful.

Attachments

• NvmExpressDxe-64.efi.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 296

My system:
Intel 4790k CPU

Thanks,
Mike C.

I did a successful migration by:
1. installing the nvme kext to my clover 10.11 folder
2. Install the M.2 SSD then reboot
3. Format the M.2 Drive
4. Use CCC to clone my boot drive to the m.2 drive
5. installing Clover to the m.2 drive
6. Copying the entire contents of /EFI/CLOVER from my old ssd to the new ssd's /EFI/CLOVER

I did a successful migration by:
1. installing the nvme kext to my clover 10.11 folder
2. Install the M.2 SSD then reboot
3. Format the M.2 Drive
4. Use CCC to clone my boot drive to the m.2 drive
5. installing Clover to the m.2 drive
6. Copying the entire contents of /EFI/CLOVER from my old ssd to the new ssd's /EFI/CLOVER

So, no need for NvmExpressDxe-64.efi? And you're booting from M.2 I understand.

YES!

Recently bought the Intel SSD 750 400GB PCI based on my Asus z97 Deluxe board. Everything works properly with the nvme kext.

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 19.17.36.jpg

I'm currently trying to get Yosemite booting from an NVME drive.

Hardware:
Asus x99e-ws/USB3.1
5960x
GTX 960
Thunderbolt EXII
Samsung sm951 nvme version

Software:
Yosemite 10.10.5

NVME driver is in S/L/E on my current boot ssd. NVME driver is also in [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder on the EFI partition on my boot drive.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]NVME drive is recognized, and usable as a non boot drive in OSX.

I've done the following:
1) CCC my boot drive to the NVME drive.
2) Installed clover on the NVME drive.
3) copied my EFI folder on my boot drive (efi partition) to the NVME drive (efi partition).
4) Attempted to boot.

Result:
[/FONT]OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock(): can not allocate relocation block (0x16687 pages below 0x100000000)

I've also:
1) CCC my boot drive to the NVME drive.
2) Installed clover on the NVME drive.
3) copied my EFI folder on my boot drive (efi partition) to the NVME drive (efi partition).
4) Installed NvmExpressDXE-64.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI on both my boot drive and the nvme drive
5) Attempted to boot.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Result:
[/FONT]OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock(): can not allocate relocation block (0x16687 pages below 0x100000000)

Is this the -v output that the rest of you guys are getting as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back