Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Samsung 950 Pro 512 on my Asus X99 Deluxe with 5960x processor using the onboard slot. Worked out of the box with the new driver and Yosemite (without boot), on this board at least.

Booting was not possible with Yosemite (stuck at "Configuration begin"), so I boot from a 850 EVO. If somebody has a solution for Yosemite to boot would be great.

Performance:
Speeds up cache and file depending action about 33%. Applications start notable faster, immediately.

I did some comparison with applications, cache and work files on the 950 against a 850 EVO:
Lightroom conversion 17 images 24MP: 43 sec against 1 min with 850 EVO
Photoshop open 6 images with many layers 6GB total: 24 sec against 34 sec with 850 EVO
PTGui render 136 MP panorama from 10 images: 40 sec against 55 sec with 850 EVO
Quite good.

Strange: The 950 does not appear in BIOS under NVME. There is just a UEFI entry.

Bild-2015-12-23-um-09.11.00.jpg

Works great on my GA-Z97X-UD5H
I have the 950 EVO on a PCIe 4x card due to the M.2 slot being only 2x PCIe.

Attachments

• 950 NVME.jpg
    950 NVME.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 380
  • AJA.jpg
    AJA.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 382
Is there anyway to get this working even with AHCI in x79 system as a boot drive?

Has anybody been able to boot from a Samsung 950 Pro?

My rig:

5960X
X99 Deluxe

Samsung 950 Pro

Yosemite
Clover

Yes I have
Z8qlB4j.jpg

yes... I was able too ... but I don't understand why the kext consider it as EXTERNAL drive ... and it's NOT listed in the NVMEx devices under sys rep...

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-faq.html

Q: Why does my system report still say: “This computer doesn't contain any NVMExpress devices”?

A: Because system report uses Apple’s non-compliant NVMe kext infrastructure. Look under the PCI devices and you will see your NVMe device and it will indicate that the driver has been installed.

Has anyone tried an NVMe device on a z77 board? I don't want to boot off the drive, just a fast storage drive. Or, am I limited to AHCI drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back