Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-faq.html

Q: Why does my system report still say: “This computer doesn't contain any NVMExpress devices”?

A: Because system report uses Apple’s non-compliant NVMe kext infrastructure. Look under the PCI devices and you will see your NVMe device and it will indicate that the driver has been installed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte z77x-UP5th
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
gtx 760
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Has anyone tried an NVMe device on a z77 board? I don't want to boot off the drive, just a fast storage drive. Or, am I limited to AHCI drives?

Motherboard
Asus Z490 Prime A
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
HD 630 + GT 710
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. PowerBook
Interestingly, I get different read speeds on the same 950 Pro drive on different machines. Maybe a bandwidth limit to the slot?

I'm not sure if anyone answered this question yet ammulder, but yes you are correct – in the 5i5 NUC, the M.2 slot is connected to the PCIe bus at PCIe 2.0 x4, with a max speed of 2GB/s before overhead, versus the PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots in z1XX and some z9X motherboards, which doubles the available bandwidth to 4 GB per second.

Still, only sustained reads on the 950 pro can hit above 2000 MB per second and in my practical experience it's very fast on the 5i5 NUC.

Motherboard
RIVE
CPU
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Got my Samsung 950 pro. Install went well just updated clover. Then threw in NvmExpressDxe-64.efi into the 'drivers64UEFI' folder (even though the installer doesn't allow that, had to install it on a USB stick with BiosblockIO then get the driver NvmExpressDxe-64.efi and throw it in 'drivers64UEFI' folder). After that I threw the NVMeGeneric.kext into Kext folder for clover. Booted to a OS X installer USB stick used restore option with Disk utility to copy me oldssd install and booted up 950 pro just fine from the EFI boot loader on OldSSD. Then installed clover with EFI on the 950 pro, transferred over all my files from my clover folder under EFI partition from old SSD to 950 pro EFI partition. Now booting with just 950 pro with EFI.

I'm very surprised EFI boot works with my old board with no bios update. I still have my same 4.6ghz overclock running a much older 4205 bios version on Rampage IV Extreme x79 with 3930K (Sandybridge-E). This was not support to be possible. I see threads were people are having issues with it showing up as EFI drive. Other people says it shows up as PATA. But not mine it showed as EFI drive. Again this was with no bios mods, or bios updates, just same old bios been using for years. Clover EFI doing all the work
smile.png

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]My speeds on old SSD were around 480 read and 410 write. Now doing 2050 Read and 880 write. I believe I'm getting these speeds only because the Rampage Extreme board is capable of PCIE 3.0. Not all boards will have the PCIE 3.0 but some of the higher end ones will for Sandy and Ivy.

What I find most impressive here is no bios update is needed if you have clover,
[/FONT]NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in 'drivers64UEFI' folder with NVMeGeneric.kext in your Clover/Kext/10.x.x folder.

Motherboard
RIVE
CPU
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I'm not sure if anyone answered this question yet ammulder, but yes you are correct – in the 5i5 NUC, the M.2 slot is connected to the PCIe bus at PCIe 2.0 x4, with a max speed of 2GB/s before overhead, versus the PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots in z1XX and some z9X motherboards, which doubles the available bandwidth to 4 GB per second.

Still, only sustained reads on the 950 pro can hit above 2000 MB per second and in my practical experience it's very fast on the 5i5 NUC.
Interesting you are saying PCIE 2.0 will hit 2GB with x4 lanes. I see some people saying they are getting half speed, I was assuming it was reverting to PCIE 2.0. So disregard my second to last paragraph above.

Motherboard
RIVE
CPU
4960X
Graphics
K5200/2000/TESLA C2075
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Happy new year everybody,
Hi UNOE, really you did it? congratulation :thumbup::clap::wave:
please may you please explain clearlly what the steps to follow?

Much thanks,

Motherboard
RIVE
CPU
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Happy new year everybody,
Hi UNOE, really you did it? congratulation :thumbup::clap::wave:
please may you please explain clearlly what the steps to follow?

Much thanks,

I'm actually not sure what was not clear, because each step was in my post? Do you have a specific part you don't understand?

Motherboard
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
CPU
Graphics
GTX480
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Anyone know how to hack the nvme driver kext so the drives show as internal?

Going to see if I can boot from one now..

Status
Not open for further replies.