Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new build, and I'm thinking about this M.2 drive to boot the system: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGIVZTW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20. Will I need the NVMeFamily patch, or will it work the same as a SATA drive, OOB?
Thanks!

Refer to the first post of this thread, it will show you your answer - Check the speeds and it tells you the variety pretty much and if you need the NVMe mods to suit.

Martin

It means it is matching and loading, but then failing probe or start. Which can only mean that Pike's patches do not work with your device. You can verify the theory and your setup by trying with a device that is known to work with the patches (Samsung 950 Pro NVMe).
Ok appreciate pointers how to get it working on My Device or I'm cursed to rely on Generic...:(

Refer to the first post of this thread, it will show you your answer - Check the speeds and it tells you the variety pretty much and if you need the NVMe mods to suit.

Martin
Thanks, I did check it, and it says: "SATA/AHCI drives are completely equivalent to normal SATA drives except with a different size/connector. Max bandwidth 600 MB/s. Example: 850 Evo M.2 (SATA)".
I'm confused whether those type of drives need the NVMe mods or not.

Thanks, I did check it, and it says: "SATA/AHCI drives are completely equivalent to normal SATA drives except with a different size/connector. Max bandwidth 600 MB/s. Example: 850 Evo M.2 (SATA)".
I'm confused whether those type of drives need the NVMe mods or not.

The drive you are considering does not require NVMe it's SATA AHCI type

Hello everyone and thank you for the wonderful work done so far. I am sorry, but I didn't have the patience to read each of the 439 posts so far, so please excuse the naivety of my questions.

I use the original Macvid driver on 10.11.6 and a 512GB 950 Pro with great satisfaction. The driver is loaded from the E/E folder on the USB booting stick. I understand that such driver gives an imprecise report of the drive, seen as external. So my questions are:

- Is it going to work on Sierra? It's coming out in less than a week and I can't afford to hose my whole installation. Has it worked so far with the RC versions?

- I understand that for a correct detection you must build your own kext. Is a standard driver that detects such peripherals correctly in the works, or out soon?

I have not had success with either NVMeGeneric.kext nor RehabMan's HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext nor with HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_dp1.kext in the UniBeast installation USB thumb drive's /EFI/EFI/.../kexts/other/ folder. All KP'd with a reboot. So, for those of use with M.2 NVMe SSDs will have to wait until the updated kexts are published (same with the Nvidia GTX 1000 web drivers).

I have not had success with either NVMeGeneric.kext nor RehabMan's HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext nor with HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_dp1.kext in the UniBeast installation USB thumb drive's /EFI/EFI/.../kexts/other/ folder. All KP'd with a reboot. So, for those of use with M.2 NVMe SSDs will have to wait until the updated kexts are published (same with the Nvidia GTX 1000 web drivers).

HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext works for me with Clover injection (keep in mind I do not use Unibeast)...

HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext works for me with Clover injection (keep in mind I do not use Unibeast)...
What folder do you place your HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext?

What folder do you place your HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext?

I place all kexts for injection in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. I remove all other version specific directories (they can only cause confusion).

Currently using Clover v3728 (self built).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back