Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i download the NVME driver zip file, it comes with a variety of files and instructions to use terminal to create a kext file. the download doesn't have an actual kext file that i can use. when i open the instructions file, it looks like i have to use terminal to create the kext file?

Correct. Read the README.

So I tried to use HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.6.kext instead of NVMeGeneric.kext to create a Clover USB to install on my Dell XPS 15 9550 (512gb Samsung 951) but it's not showing up when I get to the install screen. Does it not work with the USB installer?
I ran ./patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6 to get the kext.

So I tried to use HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.6.kext instead of NVMeGeneric.kext to create a Clover USB to install on my Dell XPS 15 9550 (512gb Samsung 951) but it's not showing up when I get to the install screen. Does it not work with the USB installer?
I ran ./patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6 to get the kext.

It works for the installer. Keep in mind that in order to use "patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6", the machine you're running the script on must be running 10.11.6 (it is clear in the README).

Also, not sure what you mean by "install screen". You have to use Disk Utility to partition the drive as required by OS X (GPT) and create an HFS+J formatted partition in order to see the partition on the "install screen".

My bad, by install screen I meant the Disk Utility did not recognize my 951 drive. Sorry though, my friend's Mac has macOS Sierra, I thought that's what you meant in your instructions but I wasn't entirely sure so I foolishly went ahead. Should I just use NVMeGeneric right now and use HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.6.kext after the install?

My bad, by install screen I meant the Disk Utility did not recognize my 951 drive. Sorry though, my friend's Mac has macOS Sierra, I thought that's what you meant in your instructions but I wasn't entirely sure so I foolishly went ahead.

Please read the README carefully. It is very clear:
README.md said:
  • you must run the script with the parameter that corresponds to the version of OS X you are running

You cannot use the patch_nvme.sh script on 10.12 to generate a 10.11.6 kext. You must use a computer running 10.11.6 to be able to generate HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext.

Should I just use NVMeGeneric right now and use HackrNVMeFamily-10.11.6.kext after the install?

Use a computer already running 10.11.6 to create HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm going to play the naive noob card and also say that I'm also not great at following instructions. Thanks for the help.

Receifed My Intel SSD DC P3605 1.6TB Last week and have been playing around with it, Installed 10.11.6 Yesterday booting using USB Created with Unibeast, UEFI Clover inject with NVMeGeneric.kext, Booted Using the USB and it can recognize the NVMe drive, an also able to Boot using the NVMe as primary drive after installation using the same method inject with NVMeGeneric.kext, but experiencing issue shutting down and restart, tried using the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5 that was supposed to be a fix, but the driver did not recognize my NVMe drive, appreciate an input from any one on this issue

Receifed My Intel SSD DC P3605 1.6TB Last week and have been playing around with it, Installed 10.11.6 Yesterday booting using USB Created with Unibeast, UEFI Clover inject with NVMeGeneric.kext, Booted Using the USB and it can recognize the NVMe drive, an also able to Boot using the NVMe as primary drive after installation using the same method inject with NVMeGeneric.kext, but experiencing issue shutting down and restart, tried using the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5 that was supposed to be a fix, but the driver did not recognize my NVMe drive, appreciate an input from any one on this issue

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attachments

• My iMac.ioreg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
Updated the file result, but at the moment I'm booting still using the NVMe Generic kext, updated my clover to latest with no avail, really appreciate the help.

The class code is <02 08 01 00> as expected. So the patched kext IOPCIClassMatch should match against it and the kext should load. I suspect there is something about this device that the (patched) Apple code doesn't like... or you did something incorrectly in creating the patched kext (likely).

Did you use the latest version of the script? Did the md5 sums match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back