CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
So, to confirm before I buy, the 951 works fine OOB as a boot drive, the 950 pro works, but not as a boot disk? And, trim is useless/not applicable to either, in OSX or windows?

Any reason I shouldn't get a 951 for my Mac Boot disk and a 950 Pro for my windows boot disk?
If your BIOS has NVMe services in its UEFI, then no issue used as boot disk.

But NVMe on OS X requires NVMeGeneric.kext which as a few known problems... It was not written to be used as a boot drive. The author intended it only as a data drive for genuine Apple MacPro (which works well).

Using NVMe for Windows and AHCI for OS X is reasonable, assuming you have dual M.2 x4 slots.

wildwillow

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600+R9 380 4GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Any reason I shouldn't get a 951 for my Mac Boot disk and a 950 Pro for my windows boot disk?
No reason at all. Thats how I have my Skylake build configured. SM951 AHCI with OS X. SM951 NVMe with Windows.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I just saw this cure for the shutdown/restart problem. It bares watching the result. Start here. (I'm unable to test this procedure at this time.)

Update: As the following posts attest to, this "cure" has mixed results on different ASUS motherboards. Use at your own risk. There is no solution, yet.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
I just saw this cure for the shutdown/restart problem. It bares watching the result. Start here. (I'm unable to test this procedure at this time.)
work for me, asus z97 / ErP Enabled(S5) + Fix Shutdown Clover flag

Edit: now don't return from sleep by moving mouse or touch keyboard

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
NVIDIA 780 GTX
Hi all, just wanted to chime in with my experiences with this ssd...

I have been using it since the driver came out for OS X, it works perfectly for me, with sleep, shutdown etc and no kps.

I used to have the reboot after shutdown issue before i even upgraded to the 950 pro, ticking 'fix shutdown' in clover solved the issue.

One thing i did try (which i haven't seen anyone else do) was to make a fusion drive with the 950 and a 3tb hard drive. The creation of the fusion drive was successful, and i was able to copy data to it etc. I then tried to install OS X to the fusion drive, but it failed with an obscure error message. No matter what i tried i couldn't make it install successfully. In the end i settled for using the 950 as a boot drive and the 3tb for storage. This arrangement has worked perfectly.

Interestingly enough, the terminal commands for seperating the fusion drive caused a freeze and was never successful. I ended up just formatting both drives individually.

D

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the info @DaveLloyd. I made the difficult decision to stick with the native AHCI driver for my boot drive, but that is awesome it's working for you. Eventually I want to pick up the 950 Pro to create a Fusion Drive like you describe.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
NVIDIA 780 GTX
Thanks for the info @DaveLloyd. I made the difficult decision to stick with the native AHCI driver for my boot drive, but that is awesome it's working for you. Eventually I want to pick up the 950 Pro to create a Fusion Drive like you describe.
It will happen brother :) only a matter of time before Apple stop being arses and make a native nvme driver. Their macpro community deserve as much

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I gave the new Toshiba OCZ RD400 256gb m.2 drive (RVD400-M22280-256G) without success. Without the NVMe driver it was invisible as expected.

With the ssd in my motherboard's m.2 slot the drive became visible when I installed NVMeGeneric.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folder. During startup I would get an exception during boot about the com.Minstor driver.

I bought one of the recommended m.2 PCIe adapters but the results were the same. I also tried to install the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the drivers64UEFI as recommended by UNOE on post 60 - i was reviewing the steps and I am not positive I did the "BIOSblockIO" in clover so I'll give that a try and if it works update this thread.

In the end the SM951 in the m.2 slot was plug and play since the NVMe driver was already installed.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I gave the new Toshiba OCZ RD400 256gb m.2 drive (RVD400-M22280-256G) without success. Without the NVMe driver it was invisible as expected.

With the ssd in my motherboard's m.2 slot the drive became visible when I installed NVMeGeneric.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folder. During startup I would get an exception during boot about the com.Minstor driver.

I bought one of the recommended m.2 PCIe adapters but the results were the same. I also tried to install the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the drivers64UEFI as recommended by UNOE on post 60 - i was reviewing the steps and I am not positive I did the "BIOSblockIO" in clover so I'll give that a try and if it works update this thread.

In the end the SM951 in the m.2 slot was plug and play since the NVMe driver was already installed.

I have the OCZ RD400 512 m.2 Drive - I've tried my M.2 slot in the mother board, and with the expansion card and get the same crash every time (screen shot attached) Something to do with "nvme_identify_controller failed" . I have the NVMe kext in the 10.11 folder and i've tried with and without the NvmExpressDxe-64 in the the drivers 64 and then even manually moving the NvmExpressDxe-64 into the Drivers64UEFI folder. Nothing seems to let me boot.

My mother board is GA-Z97X-UD3H updated with the most recent bios. The RD400 shows up in the Bios just fine. and my windows 7 shows it as well.

Help ?!?

Attachments

Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello dear friends

are these drivers good for the THNSN5512GVU7?

are they generic or for specific ssd?

Thank you