Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
WOOHOO…!

Another step completed towards my Ultimate Hackintosh Cube…!

Come on, Driver Dudes, get the R9 Nano working in OS X…!!!

Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
What sort of performance gains would one expect on a Z97 board that's capable of NVME?

It doesn't sound like the latest Skylake stuff is as stable yet so I'm not ready for a new motherboard. That said I would be ready to jump to NVEE and then just transplant that drive to a new motherboard in the future
I believe any Z97 board that has NVMe capability will run into the issue with PCIe lanes…

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you get a PCIe 3.0 x4 device running, it drops the x16 slot (where most everyones GPU resides) to x8…

But according to what the Internet tells me, the performance drop from x16 to x8 is not that much, literally only a few FPS…

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
Intel i7-4790K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I also have a Z97 board and am considering getting this SSD with a 4x PCIe adapter. Being that I would use this M.2 NVMe SSD for OS X and my GPU mainly for gaming in Windows, does anyone know of an easy way where I could disable the M.2 SSD when booting into Windows so that the GPU gets full x16 speeds? Other than physically removing it that is.

Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I also have a Z97 board and am considering getting this SSD with a 4x PCIe adapter. Being that I would use this M.2 NVMe SSD for OS X and my GPU mainly for gaming in Windows, does anyone know of an easy way where I could disable the M.2 SSD when booting into Windows so that the GPU gets full x16 speeds? Other than physically removing it that is.
But according to what the Internet tells me, the performance drop from x16 to x8 is not that much, literally only a few FPS…

wildwillow

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600+R9 380 4GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Can you expand on this statement please: "Placed the NVMe driver in UniBeast USB/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 this enabled the OS X installer to see the drive and allow me to install."

I just bought an
Intel 750 Series AIC 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal SSD today. I updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H, and BIOS can see the drive. The El Cap installer cannot, however. Nor can the Yosemite Disk Utility (no surprise there).

What steps do I need to take to inject the driver at Unibeast install time?
Use EFI Mounter v3 or Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition of the UniBeast USB. Then as above, boot from the UEFI USB selection as boot priority, install.

anonym323

Banned
Motherboard
Asus X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes boot times would be very interesting...

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
EVGA 750 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This thread seems to really only specify about M.2 NVMe drives.

I have a 400GB Intel 750 AIC on the way, should I be able to use this .kext for my SSD?:confused:

Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Pro4
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
PowerColor RX570 8GB
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
This thread seems to really only specify about M.2 NVMe drives.

I have a 400GB Intel 750 AIC on the way, should I be able to use this .kext for my SSD?:confused:
Due m.2 is just the mechanical variant and NVMe over PCIe is the protocol, it should work for your direct PCIe SSD too.