Contribute
Register

OS X 10.9.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.9.2 Update

If you have any issues post-update, boot using UniBeast and type UseKernelCache=No.

Unfortunately that did not work for me, i can boot normally if i remove applehda and hdaenabler but that also removes sound. Is it possible there is a problem with the applehda or is it something else?

Ps: on verbose mode it hangs on loading applehda but the last line is about bluetooth not being available (don't have a bluetooth card or usb).

How did you rename file? I'm stuck with "read-only file system"

Run Utilities>Disk utilities from the top menu bar within Unibeast and repair disk permissions on your OS X boot drive before running terminal. If you still get issues in terminal use the sudo -s command to elevate privileges to root. It'll ask for a password, use your login.

I get kernel panic:
a freed zone element has been modified in zone

Here's the step by step way to update:
:ch: Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Use the Software Update to download and install 10.9.2 (recommend using the Combo Update);
:ch: Re-boot;
:ch: Run MultiBeast for Mavericks and just select your audio driver to install and TRIM (if needed);
:ch: Re-boot; and
:ch: Repair Permissions again.​

If you have TRIM enabled, check to see if it was affected by this update.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

This worked perfectly!

Like others have discovered, ATI Radeon 7770 would not allow boot after update unless I removed all Displayport connections and used only a single DVI connection. No amount of boot options (graphicsenabler yes/no, aticonfig, atiports, etc) would allow boot.

So for me, update steps were:

1. Repair permissions
2. Clone drive
3. Install update from combo updater
4. Disconnect all DP cables and connect single monitor with DVI
5. Boot up, use Multibeast to re-enable audio and TRIM
6. Reboot, restore System\Library\Extensions from previous day's TimeMachine backup.
7. Repair permissions
8. Shut down
9. Disconnect DVI, reconnect dual DP cables and monitors setup.
10. Reboot.

Stable so far, but several hours worth of the day gone to troubleshooting. Also almost did a flatten and re-install till I saw a note in the comments here about some ports not working on ATI cards after the udpate. Very odd.

Could probably have narrowed down the required Extensions to just the AMD or a subset of the AMD kexts, but I've already wasted enough of the day and I'll live with it as is.

Just updated my Hack
After first reboot I opened up a chrome browser to make sure I'm reinstalling right audio kext from multibeast and I got a kernel panic. It said "kernel task", not sure if exact words but something like that.
So I rebooted again with -f option and reinstalled audio kext for my board, and went to apple logo menu and chose to restart, it froze with bright gray screen, so I forcefully rebooted.

After rebooting I ran a "touch" on extensions folder and a "kexctcache -update-volume /", then I went on to click on an apple logo menu to check "About this Mac" and screen froze again but showing mouse cursor and windows opened, so restarted forcefully one more time.

After restart it didn't froze a single time, so I run disk permissions check and there was a need to repair permissions for printers (which is usual) and for appleHDA, so I ran a repair, verified disk, everything is OK, didn't rebooted yet, but everything works, I will let you know if I again encounter that freeze.
If I do, I'll try to change my video ID, because right now I'm running hd4600 and a "0D260000" id. Display is connected via DVI.

My system definition is MacPro6,1.

BTW, thanks to everyone for your efforts and help, I've gathered a lot of knowledge about OSX while reading these boards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 7.12.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 7.12.40 PM.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 7.06.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 7.06.39 PM.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 151

Are you copying some kexts from 10.9.1? If so why? HD7xxx is supported natively you just need to know what framebuffer to use.

HD 7850 works with no QE/CI. Its detected as "14MB"..... If a frame buffer is needed to fix the issue, which one to use, and how? Edit DSDT?

I also used the AMD kexts from 10.9.1 to get my card to fully function with QE/CI in 10.9.2.

I have a XFX HD 7850 1GB.

Thanks.

CUDA is not part of OSX, its a seperate download from nVidia, I am not sure why you would think an OSX update would fix it. Try downloading the newest CUDA from nVidia.

Maybe I was not understanding correctly, I thought people were installing a new nVida driver along with the update and people were reporting good results. I did not see any comments on CUDA, so I thought I would ask if this was the case. Im well aware that the nVida driver is separate from the OSX update.

I'm having problems with my onboard network connection also after the update via app store. Audio was fixed fine with Multibeast. Ive tried all the DCHP settings with no luck.
4770 ud4h R270 4gb

Thanks for any help.

Edit. Odd thing, if I boot into safe mode after switching to the atheros driver and using DCHP with Manual address I can get to internet. Just not in a normal boot. Although, now i've gotten my first kernel dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back