1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
intel-ivy-bridge_large_verge_medium_portrait2.jpg
Ivy Bridge - E/EP
The new Mac Pro uses Ivy Bridge - EP Xeon CPUs with 4, 6, 8 or 12 cores. As of OS X 10.9.2, Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems are working with the native kernel, however alternate steps are necessary for both installation and post-installation.

Here is a list of the Ivy Bridge - E/EP CPUs from the March 2014 Buyer's Guide.

Intel Xeon E5 1620 v2 (4 core)
Intel Xeon E5 1650 v2 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2680 v2 (10 core)

Intel Core i7-4820 (4 core)
Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)
Intel Core i7-4960X (6 core)

For specific installation and post-installation tips, check out the following threads:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/127574-guide-asus-x79-os-x-controlled-speedstep.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/118831-gigabyte-ga-x79s-up5-mavericks-guide.html

Sandy Bridge - E/EP
These CPUs have been natively recognized by the OS X kernel since 10.7.3. However CPU power management may not work with certain setups and operating system versions. This means no speedstep, sleep, etc... 4 core Socket 2011 CPUs like the i7-3820 have sleep/wake functionality in 10.9+

Here is a list of the Sandy Bridge - E/EP CPUs from the February 2014 Buyer's Guide.

Intel Xeon E5 2609 (4 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2630 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2640 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2650 (8 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2690 (8 core)

Intel Core i7-3820 (4 core)
Intel Core i7-3930K (6 core)
Intel Core i7-3960X (6 core)​

OS X 10.9.2 Compatibility Report: Socket 2011 [DRAFT]

Looks like the X79 boards are dying just like the X58's did. As stock is depleted stores are not replacing. Newegg is only carrying 2 boards now and Amazon doesn't have any at all - they are only selling thru "affilliate stores".

Anybody heard anyhting on the release of new X99 boards? What is possibility of OS X support for Haswell-E?

Looks like the X79 boards are dying just like the X58's did. As stock is depleted stores are not replacing. Newegg is only carrying 2 boards now and Amazon doesn't have any at all - they are only selling thru "affilliate stores".

Anybody heard anyhting on the release of new X99 boards? What is possibility of OS X support for Haswell-E?

The X99 Haswell-E boards are set to be released in Q3 2014 so that's what GA is focusing on now.
No refreshes of X79 other than a bios update. I think it will probably take a New Mac Pro refresh
before there will be any X99 support. Who knows when that will be ? 2015 ? The Z and H97
motherboards should start arriving sometime next month with a Haswell 1150 cpu refresh.

I purchased one of the few X79S-UP5 boards available, to my dismay it was a Rev. 1.0
Those will not work with any of the newer E5-V2 Xeons. The E5-16x0 V2's will work with the
1.1 revision but the E5-2697 V2 won't. That could be helpful to note in the next Buyer's Guide
so that those with that Motherboard won't buy a 2697 V2 Xeon and then find it isn't supported.
The addition of the E5-1660 V2 is a great idea because it's the highest clocked Xeon that will
be compatible for about the cost of a 4960X. The E5-1680 V2 isn't available from any vendors
that I could find online.

The X99 Haswell-E boards are set to be released in Q3 2014 so that's what GA is focusing on now.
No refreshes of X79 other than a bios update. I think it will probably take a New Mac Pro refresh
before there will be any X99 support. Who knows when that will be ? 2015 ? The Z and H97
motherboards should start arriving sometime next month with a Haswell 1150 cpu refresh.

I purchased one of the few X79S-UP5 boards available, to my dismay it was a Rev. 1.0
Those will not work with any of the newer E5-V2 Xeons. The E5-16x0 V2's will work with the
1.1 revision but the E5-2697 V2 won't. That could be helpful to note in the next Buyer's Guide
so that those with that Motherboard won't buy a 2697 V2 Xeon and then find it isn't supported.
The addition of the E5-1660 V2 is a great idea because it's the highest clocked Xeon that will
be compatible for about the cost of a 4960X. The E5-2680 V2 isn't available from any vendors
that I could find online.
If the X99s won't be out until Q3 then we a looking at June/July for new boards. Phooey - had planned a new build for April/May, but I guess I will just have to wait. My X58A is still going strong mostly, but there have been indications lately that it is on its way downhill. Been a great platform and one of the most OS X friendly I have ever had, too.

If the X99s won't be out until Q3 then we a looking at June/July for new boards. Phooey - had planned a new build for April/May, but I guess I will just have to wait. My X58A is still going strong mostly, but there have been indications lately that it is on its way downhill. Been a great platform and one of the most OS X friendly I have ever had, too.

We're putting out the March Buyer's Guide today with Ivy Bridge E/EP- I've made the changes necessary to warn users about the differences between x79 and C606 CPU support.

As for x99, I haven't heard a peep yet about advance issue testing units or Haswell E/EP.

We're putting out the March Buyer's Guide today with Ivy Bridge E/EP- I've made the changes necessary to warn users about the differences between x79 and C606 CPU support.

As for x99, I haven't heard a peep yet about advance issue testing units or Haswell E/EP.

This article - http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel...ddr4-memory-on-x99-chipset-based-motherboard/ - is all I have seen where they actually had a board/CPU powered up. Don't think it was a production board- probably just a test bed that may turn into a board.

Wonder if the new boards might have OS X working TB?

Looks like Intel will be getting these out 1 quarter sooner than previously stated:

Previously it was believed that Intel will introduce the Core i7 “Haswell-E” 5000-series CPUs in the third quarter of 2014, in August or September. However, it looks like the company decided to speed up the things quite a bit: the new high-end desktop (HEDT) platform from Intel will be unveiled at Computex Taipei 2013 trade-show and will reach the market shortly after that. www.kitguru.net/

Those X58 Gigabyte motherboards were really good. Do you plan on using a core I7 extreme cpu
in your build or one of the Haswell EP Xeons ? Not sure when those are expected, possibly by
next Fall. Of note: The article states that these new X99 boards will have TH.Bolt II. :thumbup:

Looks like Intel will be getting these out 1 quarter sooner than previously stated:

Previously it was believed that Intel will introduce the Core i7 “Haswell-E” 5000-series CPUs in the third quarter of 2014, in August or September. However, it looks like the company decided to speed up the things quite a bit: the new high-end desktop (HEDT) platform from Intel will be unveiled at Computex Taipei 2013 trade-show and will reach the market shortly after that. www.kitguru.net/

Those X58 Gigabyte motherboards were really good. Do you plan on using a core I7 extreme cpu
in your build or one of the Haswell EP Xeons ? Not sure when those are expected, possibly by
next Fall. Of note: The article states that these new X99 boards will have TH.Bolt II. :thumbup:

Haven't really made up my mind yet - just starting research on parts and looking at what might be available. Definitely want to go with the LGA2011 platform and probably an i7 4930K - can't justify the 2x cost of the 4960X just to get the extra .2Ghz base clock. Might go Xeon, though, but more research is needed. Not sure I need a Xeon as I am not planning on ECC RAM.
If X99/Haswell E is out when I start putting together my shopping list I will definitely take a look at it.
DDR4 RAM is probably going to be high $$$

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-h...-have-8-cores-ddr4-x99-chipset-and-more_15686

Haven't really made up my mind yet - just starting research on parts and looking at what might be available. Definitely want to go with the LGA2011 platform and probably an i7 4930K - can't justify the 2x cost of the 4960X just to get the extra .2Ghz base clock. Might go Xeon, though, but more research is needed. Not sure I need a Xeon as I am not planning on ECC RAM.
If X99/Haswell E is out when I start putting together my shopping list I will definitely take a look at it.
DDR4 RAM is probably going to be high $$$

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-h...-have-8-cores-ddr4-x99-chipset-and-more_15686

8 cores and 20mb cache. That would be quite a build. I wonder how quick apple will jump on this bandwagon.

I'd like to see full support though. It gets a bit tiring doing the same old cludges for power management and the like.

Ivy Bridge - E/EP
The new Mac Pro uses Ivy Bridge - EP Xeon CPUs with 4, 6, 8 or 12 cores. As of OS X 10.9.2, Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems are working with the native kernel, however alternate steps are necessary for both installation and post-installation.

Here is a list of the Ivy Bridge - E/EP CPUs from the March 2014 Buyer's Guide.

Intel Xeon E5 1620 v2 (4 core)
Intel Xeon E5 1650 v2 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2680 v2 (10 core)

Intel Core i7-4820 (4 core)
Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)
Intel Core i7-4960X (6 core)

For specific installation and post-installation tips, check out the following threads:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/127574-guide-asus-x79-os-x-controlled-speedstep.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/118831-gigabyte-ga-x79s-up5-mavericks-guide.html

Sandy Bridge - E/EP
These CPUs have been natively recognized by the OS X kernel since 10.7.3. However CPU power management may not work with certain setups and operating system versions. This means no speedstep, sleep, etc... 4 core Socket 2011 CPUs like the i7-3820 have sleep/wake functionality in 10.9+

Here is a list of the Sandy Bridge - E/EP CPUs from the February 2014 Buyer's Guide.

Intel Xeon E5 2609 (4 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2630 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2640 (6 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2650 (8 core)
Intel Xeon E5 2690 (8 core)

Intel Core i7-3820 (4 core)
Intel Core i7-3930K (6 core)
Intel Core i7-3960X (6 core)​

This mean my 2500k Sandy Bridge no longer do the Speedstep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back