Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
For both my custom macs with GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 the following worked:
1. Made a copy of the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E
2. Removed npci=0x3000 from kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to enable audio - w/o doing this audio won't work even after replacing AppleHDA.kext
3. Installed the 10.8.5 combo update
4. Rebooted - at this point no audio
5. Deleted AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E - the one updated by the 10.8.5 combo
6. Installed AppleHDA.kext from step 1 using Kext Beast
7. Rebooted
8. Enjoy!

For the custom mac I have with GA-B75M-HD3 MB and i3-3225 CPU just replacing the AppleHDA.kext after the update did the trick - in other words, I applied the same above steps except #2 - I did not have npci=0x3000 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist on this custom mac. One note, though: for this MB I was able to make the audio work under 10.8.4 using also ALC887HDA.kext and HDAEnabler888b.kext on top of custom AppleHDA.kext. 10.8.5 just replaced AppleHDA.kext hence following the above steps did the trick.

Hope the above helps.

I didn't pay attention and I ran the update through the app store. I had no idea the was an update until I opened tonymac and saw it. I checked and sure enough 10.8.5. Installed audio with multibeast and all works great!!

Since the update (and I followed Stork's method which went mostly flawless except for permission repairs after install), my system seems to be unstable. I get random app crashes like PS3 Media Server or Safari. I would have PS3 MS running in the background and all night, start using it in the morning on my entertainment system. It would work for about 30 min. and then suddenly close. Same thing with Safari. I would be able to use it for a while before it crashes, BUT this is not all the time. Sometimes both won't crash at all. Also once I wasn't able to shut down. I kept getting the greyish white screen with the spinning radial.

UPDATE: Well it all came crashing down back on Sept. 20. I did a post install permissions repair and something happened to my drive. I'm guessing something was already wrong with my Barracuda and it just so happens to have coincided with the update. Anyway I had to go buy a new hard drive for my system. I wish I had read about the dreaded boot0:error and large capacity 4K (Advanced Format) drives because I spent 3 days in misery trying to install at least SL on this new drive. I had previously used xMove to install ML on my system and had only used Unibeast on my daughter's hacintosh. Unibeast, on my GA-H55M-UD2H system was a nightmare. First of all USB caused all sorts of problems 1) a Lexar 16GB stick caused the system to crash at boot! 2) a Strontium 16GB stick got past boot and onto the lang. page of install, but USB wasn't working (even with all the commands at the Chimera screen). I was seriously contemplating on buying a real Mac just so I could avoid headaches like these in the future. In the end, patience and hope won out.

I eventually removed the new drive and swapped it with an older 350GB drive from my Powermac G5. Leopard installed without any problems on the G5 with this new drive. Using iBoot 3.3.0 and my SL install disc, I was able to smoothly install SL onto the 350 GB drive (pre-prep I had to disconnect extra drives, remove PCIe cards except graphics, and reduced RAM to 4 GB) and ran Multibeast for SL.

Using xMove, I was able to FINALLY install ML on top of SL. I had to re-install all my apps, but it actually feels zippier than before. The USB ports are all functioning properly and I was able to salvage important documents from the damaged drive. I refer to the Barracuda as damaged because I couldn't even format it anymore. It wouldn't even mount in Disk Utility. My only issue with the 10.8.5 system after the install was that I got the "server error" message in iMessage. However this was solved with NVRAM.dylib in the modules folder.

Update works fine. I did it without any backup... shame on me. Only downloaded it from the Appstore, Update, Install, ready. After the install CUDA pops up and wants to be updated. Also without any problem.

-> i5 3570, GB Z77 DSH3

X79-UD5 (combo update 10.8.5)

I get this error:

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 200604130922100000 0xbda 0x151 0x5195 .....
Still waiting for root device

Anybody with some solution ???

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Reboot; and
  8. Repair Permissions again.*

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive with the updated UniBeast v2.1; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Thanks a lot. It went very fluently this way. USB3 working on my GIGABYTE Z77X-UP4TH.

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  7. Reboot; and

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

I tried to update my Haswell system again yesterday and today following the above by the book. Having made a new USB install drive for 10.8.5 and removed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from it, the only way I could boot from the USB drive was using -x. Then I lost use of the mouse, and had limited keyboard functionality (both are wired USB) but enough to proceed with the install which reported as successful.

Rebooting from USB then selecting the drive I had just installed to, there was simply no option that would get me past the Apple boot screen with the whirling dial. If I attempted safe mode, it would say "ignoring mach_kernel .... can't find mach_kernel" and stop. In verbose mode I saw dozens of errors - many SMC - flash by but none to give any meaningful clues. I tried every work-around I could find recommended elsewhere all without avail. I did no better trying to boot directly from the main drive.

Aborted yet again. The Haswell Helper 10.8.4 install was a breeze in comparison. Restore to 10.8.4 now underway, again.

Updated
  7. Reboot; and

Code:

I update with your guide it work!!

OSX: 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 (Combo Update)
MB: B75M-D3V
VGA: HD4000

Thank you.

X79-UD5 (combo update 10.8.5)

I get this error:

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 200604130922100000 0xbda 0x151 0x5195 .....
Still waiting for root device

Anybody with some solution ???

The Marvell Sata ports no longer worked after the update on my X79 UP4, put all drives on the intel ports and got 8.5 to boot but
no Audio and Network,

Tried removing the ncpi=3000 flag but I just get black screens

Hi everyone!
Update went well, but stuck with with "waiting for root device" error.

My system is:
Inspiron 1720, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 2 HDDs - one with ML

Tried everything, also checked this thread, nothing is working.
Would appreciate any help.

PS: All other updates until 10.8.4 went well, always replacing a few kexts in S/L/E, which was working great until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back