Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take in general for the new Multibeast? How fast are the guys?

Everything went fine!
Follow instructions on first post:
Repaired disk permissions, install update, reinstall audio kext with multibeast, reinstall chimera bootloader, repaired disk permissions, restart.

GA Z77-D3H - i7 3770k - GTX 660

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

GA-Z77-D3H + GFX 550 TI + SATA3 SSD + SATA2 Zevo Raid 5:
Pretty tricky this time. Needed to get rid of my npci kernel flags, first. (Test with boot option -F, otherwise even safe mode kernel paniced. Never had that one before).
The safe mode was booting. As usual, the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback was required, otherwise the system hangs when not booting in safe mode.
After the 10.8.5 update i did reinstalled the last chimera ... but don't thing, that step was required.
The trick was -F (and then edit the /Extras/org.{TAB}) and the ACPI rollback for my system.
Everything is working fine now, as usual.

Following the recommendation here http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/108823-problem-after-updating-10-8-5-a.html I simply changed npci=0x3000 into npci=0x2000 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and audio is working. Also some backtraces during verbose boot vanished (those snb graphics kexts) and system info shows "Intel 6 Series Chipset" in SATA/SATAExpress which used to be "Generic" only prior this change.

Edit: Deleting the npci flag completely also works and should be future proof instead of leaving an unneccessary flag that could lead to other issues in on of the next system releases...

Can you tell me if your BIOS has Virtualisation set to Enabled? When I set this, I can only boot with flag dart=0, when I disable, the rig boots Ok.

I was able to perform the update on my Hackintosh via the Combo update. As ALWAYS, after the installer ran I got the "Installation Failed" message, but it was actually installed just fine. (BTW, anyone know why we get the Installation Failed messages when programs install just fine?)

My Rig:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Intel i5 2500K, 16Gb RAM, two (x2) MSI HD6870 Twin Frozr II with the X-Fire bridge connected.

I too had no audio after the combo update. I keep 2 copies of the AppleHDA.kext files. The original Apple one, and the modified one that has always fixed the issue. I re-installed the original AppleHDA.kext first using Kext Utility. Rebooted and had audio again, but not the correct ports. Then I reinstalled the modified (don't remember where I got them, had the kext for a long time now) AppleHDA.kext file and rebooted. Back to normal. 100% working with no issues. All the MoBo ports are working fine (i.e. Firewire, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, Audio, LAN, etc...). The system profiler sees both MSI HD 6870's just fine and has no issues with the X-Fire bridge in place even though OSX 10.8.5 doesn't use it. Lastly I repaired permissions.

Every combo update since ML came out has killed my audio, but the reinstall of kext files always fixes it fast. Usually if I have an issue its my video cards playing nice and I have to reinstall those kext's.

Mike R

I was able to perform the update on my Hackintosh via the Combo update. As ALWAYS, after the installer ran I got the "Installation Failed" message, but it was actually installed just fine. (BTW, anyone know why we get the Installation Failed messages when programs install just fine?)

My Rig:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Intel i5 2500K, 16Gb RAM, two (x2) MSI HD6870 Twin Frozr II with the X-Fire bridge connected.

I too had no audio after the combo update. I keep 2 copies of the AppleHDA.kext files. The original Apple one, and the modified one that has always fixed the issue. I re-installed the original AppleHDA.kext first using Kext Utility. Rebooted and had audio again, but not the correct ports. Then I reinstalled the modified (don't remember where I got them, had the kext for a long time now) AppleHDA.kext file and rebooted. Back to normal. 100% working with no issues. All the MoBo ports are working fine (i.e. Firewire, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, Audio, LAN, etc...). The system profiler sees both MSI HD 6870's just fine and has no issues with the X-Fire bridge in place even though OSX 10.8.5 doesn't use it. Lastly I repaired permissions.

Every combo update since ML came out has killed my audio, but the reinstall of kext files always fixes it fast. Usually if I have an issue its my video cards playing nice and I have to reinstall those kext's.

Mike R

Hi Mike,

Would you be able to confirm if sleep works properly after the 10.8.5 update? I have the same MB hence me asking.

Thx.

I'm running off GA Z77 UP5 TH and am concerned about losing my system with this update. Can anyone offer experience or a precise method particular to this board? My thanks extended,

I'm running off GA Z77 UP5 TH and am concerned about losing my system with this update. Can anyone offer experience or a precise method particular to this board? My thanks extended,
See this post in my Golden Build description. :thumbup:

ran combo update 10.8.5 process finished with a (install failed) after a reboot mac spec's was 10.8.5 all working but sound.
installed sound driver via MultiBeast 5.4.3 and after process finished with a (install failed) reboot and sound works just fine.
anyone else seeing install failed?

CPU: Intel i7 2600K
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870
PSU: Corsair AX850 80 Plus Gold
Memory: Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (16GB)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP

It didn't work for me on a DELL Precision M4500. I had Black screen, but if I am lucky to see the login screen, then keyboard and mouse doesn't work.
I have to reinstall 10.8.4 unibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back