Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't know why, but after 10.8.5 update i can boot only without npci=0x3000. if i boot with it i stuck at "still waiting for root device". so if you can't boot, try with -v -F, then remove npci=0x3000 flag from org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
i hope to help someone else!

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

Do not install this update!
It has killed my audio.
I have had activated both integrated and discrete graphics. After update I had to disable integrated graphics due to kp on AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.
I have also errors while loading AppleHDA, which killed my sound. I am running now on voodoo.
What is your motherboard? (should be put in your Profile's System definition.)

i don't know why, but after 10.8.5 update i can boot only without npci=0x3000. if i boot with it i stuck at "still waiting for root device". so if you can't boot, try with -v -F, then remove npci=0x3000 flag from org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
i hope to help someone else!

tried to boot without npci=0x3000 and it didn't work instead of getting stuck on waiting for root device my monitor went blank and stated no signal.

At first my USB 3.0 didn't work after installing the Combo Update. I tried removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext and reinstalling it via MultiBeast, but it still didn't work. Then I found an updated version (v1.2.5) of GenericUSBXHCI.kext at http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/?source=recommended and installed that (using KextBeast). That solved the problem.

Fixed Jabra A320S Bluetooth by editing Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents.

From the Terminal, I did sudo -s and edited the file with vim. I copy and pasted the <key> and <dict> sections where the key was BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController_Dongle and changed idProduct from 8448 to 8449.

Thanks for the info. i can confirm that it worked, i now have functional Bluetooth.
ALC889 is still a no go and the trim is not enabled any more.

Edit: changing ID from 8448 to 8449 works but it prevents sleep, however i reverted back to 8448 and now it is functioning as it did before the update. i think what is happening here is that the dongle is turned OFF after the update to 10.8.5 and all you need to do is turning it back ON

Edit2: Back to 10.8.4
lost Bluetooth again, will sit this one out for now

Moin,
after update can not login to App-Store. Deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooting help. Everything works well.

Like some of you, I too have had a few snags while updating. First off, the Combo AND App Store update will NOT complete the install properly; It will install everything but it will stop when the System needs to set/repair permissions and cache. Reinstalling the audio drivers from Multibeast proved to be no different. The AppleHDA.kext will install, but will come up with a warning saying that you need to re-install the software.

The simple solution is that the System Update and Multibeast did in fact install properly, however once the install(s) are complete, YOU must set/repair permissions and rebuild the system cache MANUALLY! Use Kext Wizard, Disk Utility or terminal command; it does not matter which. Then you can restart and all will be ok.

I spent hours last night on 2 systems. I finally opened up the extensions folder and the console and watched as the Kexts are being installed via Software Update and Multibeast, that's how I know all went well. Lack of any log regarding permissions essentially screamed out the solution to me.

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Reboot; and
  8. Repair Permissions again.*

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive with the updated UniBeast v2.1; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Stork- thanks for the detailed info. MacMan and I will be releasing a new MultiBeast with the latest GenericUSBXHCI.kext and updated Audio drivers in the next few days that will alleviate many of the issues people are having with this update.

Thanks to everyone for the testing so far- keep posting your results!

Hi everybody,

Tried the combo today, my asus u3s6 card isn't recognized anymore. Impossible to boot on Sata III ! Stucked on Still waiting boot device...

Even with the new genericusbhcxi (1.2.5), it doesn't work. Rolled back to 10.8.4 and waiting for a solution:
AHCI 3rd Party SATA kext update?

Any advise welcome!

Tito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back