Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is an odd one. My previous post mentioned that the 10.8.5 update broke my Gigabyte H87-HD3/4570 Haswell system - it simply froze on the Apple logo boot screen. So I booted from a recovery partition and restored the previous System folder from the backup I made just before the update. This worked well except 1) the update installed a new version of Mail which refused to run with 10.8.4 - another restore and, curiously, 2) I was asked for my encrypted Time Machine drive password (it is stored on my Keychain) and it was not accepted. So booting from the recovery partition again, I was able to change the drive's password in Disk Utility without any problem- using the same old password that had just been rejected. Booting back up from the main drive and again the new password for the Time Machine Drive is not accepted! 10.8.5 appears to have changed the way encrypted drive passwords work and whatever has changed is outside the System folder.

I am very much hoping that the gifted contributors here figure out a way of installing 10.8.5 on relatively conservative and supposedly ultra-compatible systems such as my own - I did afterall follow all the advice here.

I am fairly sure that some of my issues, especially boot issues, relate to incompatibilities between the Hackintosh s/w and Apple's Core Storage. Should I abandon Core Storage? No Core Storage is the means by which Apple will replace its antiquated, underlying HFS+ file system. 'Fusion Drive' combined with encrypted 'Time Machine' is the smartest storage solution out there - a perfect confluence of risks and securities. No open source or other commercial proposition offers the same risk/security/performance profile matching the different properties of the hardware and how we use it quite so well. I expect this combination to be invisible and default on Mac OS very soon.

Other issues may relate to Apple's attempt to kill off the Hackintosh. Certainly, my Haswell Hackintosh has been a challenge thus far with many outstanding issues. I could not recommend anyone investing in Haswell as things stand - unless that is, you will be happy with running Linux.

System:
Gigabyte H87-HD3
'Haswell' Core i5 4570
Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 1600MHz RAM
Kingston V300 120GB SSD + Seagate 3TB HD formatted as a Fusion Drive using Core Storage
Seagate 3TB partitioned as an 8GB recovery drive and an encrypted Time Machine drive (again this uses Core Storage)
(most recent version of) Asus GeForce GT 630 2GB 'Silent' driving two monitors

Issues:
Freezes on boot at the Apple logo screen after the update to 10.8.5
No sound under any circumstances
No USB from the USB 3 ports - the Multibeast USB 3 kext causes a kernal panic
Lengthy procedure to make a 'Fusion Drive' or any drive utilizing Apple Core Storage actually bootable (details covered here)
After a restore of the System folder from 10.8.5 to 10.8.4, encrypted drive passwords are no longer accepted.

My Network stopped working My audio stopped working and I can't log into my APP Store account and my iMessage error login still don't work. Thank God for Time Machine restore. Any help would appreciated. My system is Intel DP55SB core i7 Nvidia GTX 660Ti 16 gigs of RAM.

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

Works perfectly on i5-2500k / GTX 560ti / Sabertooth p67;
Only needed to reinstall Audio and Trimsupport.

which driver do you use for network? 'case it's only one thing which doesn't work after update +__+

cheers

Success !!!

I create step by step tutorial here:

[video=youtube_share;Bb3cdtE0GY0]http://youtu.be/Bb3cdtE0GY0[/video]

My Hackintosh spec:
OS X 10.8.5
Motherboard - GA-H61N-USB3 rev. 1.0 Bios F8
CPU - Intel Core i5-2380P 3.1 GHz
HDD - WD Velociraptor 320 GB 10.000 rpm 7 Watts
VGA - EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB GDDR5 - Kepler GK106
RAM - 2x4 GB 1333 MHz

Anybody able to fix bluetooth?

Anyone able to fix bluetooth? My bluetooth not working.

Anyone able to fix bluetooth? My bluetooth not working.

Mine 's not working either.

During startup and in the Console I see the following message:

9/13/13 7:47:31.000 PM kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHCIController][ProcessEventDataWL] -- kBluetoothHCIEventHardwareError occurred -- status = 0x0037 (kBluetoothHCIErrorSecureSimplePairingNotSupportedByHost or kBluetoothHCIErrorMax) -- mNumberOfCommandsAllowedByHardware is 0, processing -- opCode = 0x0000 (UNKNOWN), requestPtr = 0

9/13/13 7:47:31.000 PM kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][setPowerStateWL] -- PerformPowerStateChange() failed: 0xE00002BC (kIOReturnError) -- powerStateOrdinal = OFF, mCurrentInternalPowerState = ON -> mPendingInternalPowerState = OFF -- this = 0xffffff8016551c00 ****

I also see that the following bluetooth kexts have been updated:
IOBluetoothFamily.kex
IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext

maybe putting back the 10.8.4 ones fixes the problem

All good with GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 GeForce GT 430,
repair disk permissions ---> install combo update --> run mb reinstalled ALC889 --> repair disk permission --> restart

WARNING! P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 setup.
Had to reinstall AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to be able to boot.
No sound - no wired ethernet (reinstalled those with Multibeast).

OK with P7P55D - no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back