Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stuck at the Apple Logo too. I've tried a verbose boot but I'm unable to identify the actual problem. Any hints? (GA-B75M-D3P)

Installed via SU. On reboot my Intel ethernet card was no longer recognized (was using vanilla Intel Intel82574L driver--the driver was not updated and my plist edit was still in place). Tried installing the IntelE1000E driver from MultiBeast, and the machine hard froze. Tried removing the driver in single-user mode and now it locks up every boot.

I'm going to roll back to 10.8.4 tonight and wait for further developments.

The update broke my Core i5 4570/Gigabyte H87-HD3 system. I had been running 10.8.4 courtesy of the Haswell Helper method - though having a Fusion drive complicated the procedure lots. I followed the instructions in post no. 2 to the T but it now gets stuck on the Apple logo screen at boot.

Any ideas?

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Reboot; and
  8. Repair Permissions again.*

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive with the updated UniBeast v2.1; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Stork: What Multibeast version do you use: 5.4?
Or doesn't this matter since you only select the audio driver without selecting "UserDST or DST-Free Installation" ?

Combo Update works perfectly on i5-750, GTX 660, GA P55M-UD4.
Only needed to reinstall HDA Audio.

Combo Update works perfectly on GA P55m-UD4 with i5-750 and GTX 660.
Only needed to reinstall HDA Audio from Multibeast 5.4.3.

On one of my machines (GA-Z77X-DS3H) I had to remove /S/L/E/GenericUSBXHCI.kext to get a successful install. Both the combo update and Multibeast were failing on rebuilding the kext cache; looking at install.log in the Console app revealed:

kextcache: Prelink failed for net.osx86.kexts.GenericUSBXHCI; aborting prelink.
kextcache: Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

After removing the kext, install proceeded normally and the system is running correctly.

Perry

Working great from the Combo Update after i patched the usual kexts as always. :)

Installed via the App Store.

Install "failed", but on restart was running 10.8.5. (App Store also installed a Camera RAW update, so maybe that failed.)

Everything seems fine, except my bluetooth isn't working anymore. There were some sandbox errors in the log, saying that blued had been blocked from accessing /Extra/nvram...plist. I set the permissions on the file to 666 and rebooted. I didn't get the message again, but still no bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back