Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.3 and NVIDIA 6xx OpenCL Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.3 and NVIDIA 6xx OpenCL Benchmarks

I figured I'd share my Lux scores as a point of reference. I have a GTX 690 and I received a combined score of 1415 for both GPUs on 10.8.3. Does anybody know if I still need Nvidia patch for GPU memory larger than 2gb?

Last edited by a moderator:

I figured I'd share my Lux scores as a point of reference. I have a GTX 690 and I received a combined score of 1415 for both GPUs on 10.8.3. Does anybody know if I still need Nvidia patch for GPU memory larger than 2gb?

No need for the OpenCL patch since 10.8.3

Is the 5xx series all better than the 6xx series for both OpenCL and CUDA? I got a GTX 660 Ti, but it sounds like I'd be bettor off with a GTX 580.

id like to know too. I wont be gaming much these days. Would be using more indesign, illustrator, photoshop work and the occasional FCPX.
Am i better off with a 5xx series?

Thought i would share my results too:

ScreenShot2013-03-30at70531PM_zps124bf778.jpeg

I have the 570 and it works great in AE and photoshop. Lux mark is about 1200. I had to hack in the CUDA for adobe after effects, but realistically unless your doing ray-trace you probably don't need it, but it's pretty simple to do (basically just putting it in the list of supported cpu) cant say for the the other programs you listed, and to some extent, it looks like you'd really benefit from a strong processor and ram more than anything.

Hi kev7in,

I just wondered what your install procedure was for getting the 570HD fully working in 10.8.3?
I have the same card. I started with a working 10.8.2 install as per Alfas guide and installed the 10.8.3 combo update and the cuda update, and I got errors in Photoshop and AE stating incompatible device or cuda driver. Also luxmark gave me an opencl error.

I also lost the ability to hot plug the DVI sockets and I had to resort to using graphicsenabler=yes again, even though I had a working device properties string, at least it was working in 10.8.2

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Cheers

Bonce

Are there any real benefits to installing the CUDA package on 10.8.3 with a 650 TI? Or maybe a better question would be if it will do more harm than good?

id like to know too. I wont be gaming much these days. Would be using more indesign, illustrator, photoshop work and the occasional FCPX.
Am i better off with a 5xx series?

I am running a GTX670 but everything that I have read says that 5xx series is the way to go over the 6xx. The AMD 7970 seems to almost double it's score. Not sure what the move is here, I'm probably going to wait until the mac pros are released as those cards are going to be optimized for FCPX (and hopefully the adobe suites).

I guess the question to mac man is. If you do photo/video editing can you give us a definitive answer on what card to get within the $350-$550 range; just to put the issue to bed.

I am running a GTX670 but everything that I have read says that 5xx series is the way to go over the 6xx. The AMD 7970 seems to almost double it's score. Not sure what the move is here, I'm probably going to wait until the mac pros are released as those cards are going to be optimized for FCPX (and hopefully the adobe suites).

I guess the question to mac man is. If you do photo/video editing can you give us a definitive answer on what card to get within the $350-$550 range; just to put the issue to bed.

I'm not the macman but I had an EVGA GTX 580 Classified Hydro Copper before my current GTX 690 which is exactly two GTX 680s on one PCB. Compute performance supposedly dropped from Fermi to Kepler in order to focus on gaming performance and low power consumption. I haven't noticed much of a difference personally but I really only use the compute performance heavily for Folding. If you are looking for a sweet spot in regards to price I wonder if the Radeon HD 5870 would be a best-value option. Before the GTX 580 Classified Hydro Copper I had a Gigabyte HD 5870 which was the card Apple sold to go with their Mac Pros (but I had a regular Gigabyte model and not the Apple model since it's a fraction the price). They are around $100-150 used on eBay and I think they are the best compute vs price cards on the market. I sold it to a guy who has a dozen HD 5870s he uses for his bitcoin farm. I'm willing to bet 3 HD 5870s would be cheaper than a 580 or 680 and would probably be higher in the compute category and they work right out of the box in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back