Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.2 Update

Hi,

I updates to 10.8.2 via combo updater, but couldn't boot past the gray startup screen, because of OemSMBIOS.kext. After replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the old one from a previous post in this thread, my system booted without any problems.

Now, as I really don't like having legacy kexts on my system, I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a great benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors: https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors

Not only can I now boot with the original 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, without having OemSMBIOS.kext throwing an error, but I also get much more information from my hardware sensors opposed to the original FlakeSMC-Plugins from Multibeast. Furthermore a serial number is generated for my machine (so no problems with iCloud and Appstore) and VT-d can stay enabled in BIOS! This kexts should find their way into the next Multibeast update.

Using the kexts from Kozlek was a win-win for me :) Please only try at your own risk and backup your system before trying this. This worked great for me, but could kill your installation.
Wow, incredible. I used the installer and it worked like a charm!

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update breaks again the nVidia Drivers! This will give you again, Glitches, White Screen and all other known issues you had before.

Thankfully, a user called "vczilla" does a better job then Apple & nVidia together, and he found a workaround to fix this again. So, feel free to try the fix, till nVidia comes up again with new Drivers after reading our posts.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nvidia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-83.html (Post 822)

hope this helps

cheers

Success updating to 10.8.2 for my rig (GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0 BIOS FH).

Steps I followed based on feedback I read in the community forums:
System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext ->Right Click -> Show Package Contents -> Contents/Plugins and delete OemSMBios.kext
2. Rebuild permissions using Kext Utility
3. Download the Combo updater for 10.8.2 and run installer <- DID NOT Restart after install complete
4. Ran MultiBeast 5.0.2, selecting all the usual options I normally would - *except* I purposely deselected any FakeSMC Plugins for now
5. Restarted after MB 5.0.2 completed

Rebooted normally. Now off to test other standard functionality (i.e. sleep, etc).

Now this update turned out to be more difficult to install that previous Combos in my computer. I had to do a fresh install with Unibeast and ML 10.8.2 on it. The installation itself goes very smoothly. Once installed is another thing. I had to take the AppleHDA.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from another Hackintosh running 10.8.1, copy them through dropbox and then putting them on the Desktop of the fresh installation of 10.8.2 in order to install them with KextBeast and replace the new ones.
The ones installed by 10.8.2 cause a Panic during boot, and the wheel keeps spinning.
After that I had to install EasyBeast, Nvidia G520 drivers, hnak's AppleIntel1000e Ethernet drivers, and Realtelk ALC888 V100202 Legacy Audio driver. in that order or else it will not work. And running Kext Wizard every time to Repair Permissions.
I came with this solution thanks to micr0shaft post here. Thank you! you are the man!.
Tonny thank you too, I am guessing here that you will be preparing a new version of MultiBeast for all of us out here not as experienced like you guys?

I am running an:
Intel DH55TC
16GB memory 1330 MHz DDR3
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
GeForce GT 520 2048 MB

Updated to 10.8.2 from the app update with no problems. had to do nothing. Asus P7P55d-E Pro, AMD Radeon HD 6850, 16 gig memory, M-Box Mini2 sound, Apple Keybard, TracPad, many hard drives including Silimage raid.

I cannot boot even using -v -x after the update...
It says
ITEIT87x:found ITEIT8728F

I have the same issue. Can't get it to boot even with safe mode. Last lines before above line is related to com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver failing to load. Not sure if its related or not.

FOR THOSE WITH RADEON 6XXX SERIES CARDS, BELOW IS THE FIX FOR THE UPDATE (MAC APP STORE OR COMBO UPDATE). I did NOT have OEMSMBios installed via the FakeSMC hardware monitor/tool. (I have the Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB OC)

After a few days of searching and reading various posts to the 10.8.2 update I successfully updated via the Mac App Store and then fixed the grey screen and spinning wheel issue plaguing so many of us. While I cannot narrow it down to EXACTLY one kext, I came up with replacing two.

1. Copy AppleACPIPlatform.kext and ATI6000Controller.kext from your 10.8.1 /System/Library/Extensions folder.

2. Put either in an email/online repository or place on another drive NOT connected via USB to access from updated Hack while in Safe Mode (USB drives do not work in safe mode)

3. Install update via Mac App Store or Combo Update.

4. Following restart, stop Hack at boot loader screen and enter -x as boot flag on updated drive (enters safe mode).

Important, if still using graphics card and not MOBO graphics to install, safe mode will result in white screen and cursor.

5. Put computer to sleep (press power halfway on most cases), wait about 10 seconds, wake Hack back up (again pressing power button halfway).

6. Place the two kexts (mentioned above and attached to post) on desktop and run KextBeast.

7. Go to disk utility and repair permissions on your 10.8.2 drive and restart.

8. Hack should be good to go!!!

Attachments

• ATI6000Controller.kext.zip
    114.3 KB · Views: 94
  • AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip
    223.6 KB · Views: 97
I needed to remove:
/System/Library/Extensions/Oemsmbios.kext

Steps
Boot computer normally.
At the Chimera screen, press any key to enter the keyboard entry mode.
Enter the boot parameters:
-x -s
-x — boots into safe mode, which disables all extensions
-s — boots into single-user mode, which gives terminal access as root
At the command line, enter the following command to allow modification of files and directories:
/sbin/mount -uw /
Delete the problem kernel extension with the command:
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Oemsmbios.kext
Reboot the computer with the command:
reboot

Part of the reason why I needed to go through the above steps was that there was a bug in the version of Chimera that I was using that caused a memory error when booting using the onboard graphics (integrated graphics) instead of the PCI graphics card that I normally use.

asus p5e3 deluxe here...

stuck at backtrace oemsmbios, removed oembios.kext
now i get an instant reset when booting, tried -x-s-f but still system reboots after 20 sec without going into gui

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3-B3
For those of you with this main board This update is completely Safe.. i installed 10.8.2 combo update.. rebooted the machine everything worked fine except for audio
So i installed audio drivers again my drivers are from lion 889Beta_Lion_AppleHDA_v2.1.3-2.zip (i simply installed this using kext helper)
my specs
-core i7-2600k
-GTX 570 ( seemed to have gotten better.. i think the nvidia drivers were maybe updated) dual dvi works fine i have my pc and TV
-16GB ram
-SSD ( had to re enable Trim on it)
Cheap logitech wireless keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back