Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11 El Capitan setup guide for ASUS Rampage V Extreme x99 Haswell-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to compile the DSDT (generated by Clover F4) without modifications, but I cannot compile it. I get 19 errors, most of them being "Address Min is greater than Address Max" and a couple of them being "Min/Max/Length/Gran are all zero, but no resource tag"
Any idea on how to fix these errors?

EDIT: I think I had to set ACPI specification to version 4.0, not 5.0A or 5.1

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    217.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Hello Hans,
I followed your guide, but on Yosemite 10.10.5 because of some incompatibility issues that I have with my Studio gear with the most recent versions of OS X. I hope to soon get rid of a couple of things that keep me on Yos!

I have a Rampage V Extreme (bios 3009, latest release), i7 5960x and a GTX980.

I'm writing to you because I can't get the DSDT compile to work. I ALWAYS get errors (multiple, I don't know exactly how many they are, but they are a lot), even after your suggested substitutions.

What I'm trying to do is to have the sleep feature working.. It's the last thing I remain to have working.

Second, I can't create a DSDT with your terminal method! I get -w error like the other user from Russia.
I'm using the DSDT created by pressing F4 in the clover boot menu (is it also normal that the bootloader freezes? I had to hard reset the computer about 10 minutes after pressing f4..)

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards

Oh WOW!! Many thanks, Hans. This information is great. I am at work right now but I will have time to look at things in more depth, later today.

I thought it very strange that everyone is saying that USB is working but I seem to be the only one concerned that the USB2.0 / USB3.0 tree is all wrong.

I will take another look at my DSDT. I have just installed Yosemite so that I can look at the USB stuff from a different angle. I think there are some hubs in the X99A/USB3.1 MOBO which is throwing me off. I will dig a little deeper and let you know.

Obviously once I get this sorted out, I would like to offer my DSDT and any SSDTs to the group and your original post. I hope it will help some people.

At the moment, I am not worried about the NVMe SSD. I did get it working but it showed up with the orange (external) icon. I think I can fix this. I used RehabMan's method and he did point me in the right path.

EDIT: Yes, you were right; my MACIASL was set to ACPI 5.0. Changing it to version 4.0 still gives me one error, though. Now I have a single 4007 error (Field offset is in bits but a byte offset is required). Hmm....

EDIT 2: Okay, this error 4007 was an easy fix. I changed CreateByteField to CreateBitField. I have got my graphics card working just great so now I can focus on USB.

Hey Hans, I got everything working!!! I did everything you recommended and it's all there.

I am still going to explore the USB mapping thing. In fact I have already started. Please see here for my post regarding USB mapping of Asus X99a/USB3.1.

My system application perhaps differs from yours slightly as I have never bothered with sleep. All my machines are on all the time. Neither have I bothered with on-board audio as I always use external (FireWire) interfaces.

You are one of people I owe a big THANK YOU to. There is also RehabMan, Piker Alpha and Xavi16.

Hans, I forgot to reply to your question: Have you got your NVMe working via Clover's patching?

I used RehabMan's suggestion to install the kext without patching as sometimes Clover will not load a patch / kext completely. Since this is all about the boot drive, if anything goes wrong, it could be really bad. See details here.

It worked straight away but my NVMe was showing up as an external drive (orange drive icon).

RehabMan helped me identify my NVMe in IOREG. From there he was able to find it in my DSDT and suggested a small edit:

BEFORE

Code:
               Device (H000)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                    Method (_SUN, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Return (SNUM ())
                    }
                }

AFTER

Code:
               Device (H000)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x00)

{
                        Return (SNUM ())
                    }
                }

With that, my NVMe is working great.

I've learnt a huge amount over the past few weeks and my system is now working fine.

Just one thing left to do: I am trying to get one of my SATA ports to act as an eSATA port but this is quite difficult to do. I think this requires a DSDT edit on the port that I want to be eSATA but I don't know what to do. If anyone knows or has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Hi Number6, I've been quite out of the loop during these last months was busy with some personal work. I'm happy if what I've published helped you and thanks for the kind words, it is much appreciated. I can also notice that you've find solutions for your issues with some other users; which is great! But there is something that I would still like to correct: changing the "byte" word to "bit" within the generated DSDT shouldn't be your first option. It is only a solution for those who are left with no other options for whatever the reason might be. I would still recommend (something also being recommended by RehabMan) that you generate your DSDT before making use of any DSDT fix masks, except for "Fake LPC" which I said should always be used in the case of the Rampage V Extreme. The method is already mentioned in the guide.

I have not really been investigating eSATA (not really a fan of, since I don't own such device yet) but it should work directly as far as I know. What is exactly your issue with the eSATA? I suppose that you have an eSATA port which is within your chassis. Which cables comes out of the e-SATA port?

Hello. I have been trying to create my hackintosh but for some reason I get stuck in the 3rd step. Also, I cannot boot off my sdd. Have to boot directly from my thumb drive. Can someone help me?

ASUS Rampage V Extreme
i7 5820K
G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti Strix

Hi, can you specify where exactly you get stuck? What exactly were you doing? Have you installed the Clover boot-loader on your drive?

hello i have returned to this post after a long time.
but now i have updated to 10.12 every thing is working fine but just have problem with my external hards not showing up
please help if any suggestion.
my problem is............
hard drives not detecting
internal hards are showing
bootable usb also showing
is there any new patch for this in 10.12

Hi, in which port are you plugging your external hard drive?

Hi Hans, thank you so much for your guide, now my macOS Serria works great, however there is only one problem, which is USB ports. I unlocked all ports and do the injection already, after my first restart, all USB ports worked. However, after second restart, there is only one USB 2.0 port back of the case working. Then I restart several times, no help...

I've been quite busy these last months with personal works. Indeed, I have seen there are some changes in Sierra. Let me have an adequate time to work on it and I hope I can shortly update you guys about the USB for Sierra.

No help. Same problem. If I first boot into windows, then reboot to macOS, USB ports are all good. If I just boot to macOS, no one will work....

How did you set USB controller in bios?

I didn't change any settings. I just update my bios and turned off the Fast Reboot, now everything works fine only without audio. Thank you so much. Do you have any idea about the audio card? I just followed the procedure, doesn't work...

Hi guys, I can see multiple post about USB. I've just mentioned it in a new answer, you can find in the list; Indeed there are some changes in Sierra. I will try to find an adequate free time to update you about USB.

I tried to compile the DSDT (generated by Clover F4) without modifications, but I cannot compile it. I get 19 errors, most of them being "Address Min is greater than Address Max" and a couple of them being "Min/Max/Length/Gran are all zero, but no resource tag"
Any idea on how to fix these errors?

EDIT: I think I had to set ACPI specification to version 4.0, not 5.0A or 5.1

Indeed, pretty much looks like ACPI version set other than 4.0. Set ACPI to 4.0 it should fix it.

Hello Hans,
I followed your guide, but on Yosemite 10.10.5 because of some incompatibility issues that I have with my Studio gear with the most recent versions of OS X. I hope to soon get rid of a couple of things that keep me on Yos!

I have a Rampage V Extreme (bios 3009, latest release), i7 5960x and a GTX980.

I'm writing to you because I can't get the DSDT compile to work. I ALWAYS get errors (multiple, I don't know exactly how many they are, but they are a lot), even after your suggested substitutions.

What I'm trying to do is to have the sleep feature working.. It's the last thing I remain to have working.

Second, I can't create a DSDT with your terminal method! I get -w error like the other user from Russia.
I'm using the DSDT created by pressing F4 in the clover boot menu (is it also normal that the bootloader freezes? I had to hard reset the computer about 10 minutes after pressing f4..)

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards

Hi, you are on Yosemite, I can't guarantee if my methods are compatible with it, but let's hope it does the trick.

In fact, it is normal that it freezes for about 2-3 seconds after pressing F4 because the boot-loader is busy writing the DSDT. After that, you won't get any kind of notification like telling you succeeded or similar. You will have manually select your drive to boot.

Anyway, let's try this method instead; Before booting is OS X, at the boot-loader level get in the DSDT mask section (the place where you can choose: fix usb, fix lan, fix WiFi, add DTGP etc...) and unselect/disable all DSDT masks except FakeLPC. Now get in OS X, launch MaciASL.app to generate your DSDT you shall be all good to go. Concerning the SSDT generation, stop using -w flag. It is no longer supported with the script. I'll advice that you just launch the SSDT normally without flags for instance until I have a better look at it and find the proper methods and update my guide as well. Don't worry performance wise it shouldn't affect anything consequently.

Lastly, something I'm curious (lol), can I know what is it about the Studio Gear? Because I work with Logic Pro.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back