Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated through the App Store, audio works...all is good!

Updated via App Store and everything run. Trim, Audio and all other run same before. Have nothing to install.

I had success updating from the App store. Once again, I had to remote into the desktop to enter my password to complete the install. I had a black screen on the monitor but could remote in using chrome remote desktop. I have weird monitor though it is a dome color 5mp (2560 x 2048) radiology monitor (about 7 years old) runs on dual link DVI. I have had to do this the last 3 updates.

So far no random lockups or reboots.

Jules

Updated without any problems.
Hi Stork,

I have the MSI NVIDIA GTX750Ti, but every time that there is a update i have to get off the card, and install the new NVIDIA drivers and put again the card on slot. I tried to put in clover boot args "nv_disable=1" and delete "nvda_drv=1" but never OS launched. Something wrong i do or something else i have to put in boot arg?

Thanks in advance,
pintolcv

Pre Update Notes:
- This update may break some of your El Capitan functions, like audio and the nVidia Web drivers. So, being an Early Adopter maybe fraught with problems. Make sure you backup first.:thumbup:

- If you're using nVidia drivers for your GeForce GTX 750, 750Ti, 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti and the Titans 'Maxwell' graphics cards, you'll need to install the nVidia 10.11.5 Web driver(s) after the 10.11.5 update. You are advised to wait for nVidia's update or use the nVidia Yosemite Beta Web drivers. tonymacx86 will publish the link to the nVidia Web Driver as soon as it's announced, usually within 2-3 days. See threads in the Graphics forum section if you have one of these Maxwell graphics cards, but here's the 10.11.5 drivers > http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/n...cs-drivers-for-os-x-10-11-5-346-03-10.193172/

Here's the step by step way to update for those who aren't using the nVidia Maxwell graphics cards. For nvidia Maxwell card users, see below.
:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Download the Software Update or Combo Update and run it to update to 10.11.5 - the updater will reboot upon completion;
:ch: Upon rebooting into El Capitan, you can:
:ch: Check to see if your audio is working (If you enabled Realtek on-board audio using MultiBeast v8 or toleda's CloverALC110 script, your audio should be OK),
:ch: (Optional) Update to the latest version of Clover,
:ch: (Optional) Check to see if your TRIM setting has survived through the update - if not, use the "trimforce" Terminal command (1); if you've used the "trimforce" command in 10.11.0, then it should "survive" the update, but check to make sure; and
:ch:Re-boot​

For Nvidia Maxwell graphic cards users (see 2nd note above), you'll need to do the following once the Nvidia web driver is released for 10.11.5:
:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Download the Software Update or Combo Update
:ch: Download the latest Nvidia web driver for 10.11.5 (link at Graphics forum section sticky thread when its available)
:ch: Run either the El Capitan 10.11.5 Mac App Store Update or Combo Update - the updater will reboot upon completion;
:ch: Upon rebooting, at the Clover boot screen, click on the "gears" icon to stop the countdown to boot into El Capitan.
:ch: Arrow to or click on the 2nd line's "Boot Agrs"
:ch: Replace the "nvda_drv=1" with "nv_disable=1" (or add "nv_disable=1" if the former is not there) and type the keyboard's Enter or Return key.
:ch: Double click on the menu's Return option.
:ch: Boot into El Capitan's Desktop​
:ch: Run the Nvidia web driver pkg and Reboot when its completed it's installation.​

Please post help requests in the El Capitan Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Tip: Don't use the iMac15,1 and Mac Pro 4,1/5.1/6.1 System Definitions. These SysDefs have been found to cause problems. For Haswell builds, toleda recommends iMac 14,1 for HD4600 and iMac14,2 for graphics cards; MacPro6,1 is only appropriate for X99 systems. Additionally, Clover is pretty "smart" about choosing a default System Definition for your system.

1 Use the new Terminal trimforce command in the following manner:
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

Last edited:
There hasn't been an updated NVMe kext posted at MacVidCards. So, this must be Apple listening to the Mac Pro users using this kext (probably at the Apple discussion forum and the MacRumors forum, Mac Pro section). However, it the half dozen shutdowns today, I've had one that restarted. So, we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the update :)

There hasn't been an updated NVMe kext posted at MacVidCards. So, this must be Apple listening to the Mac Pro users using this kext (probably at the Apple discussion forum and the MacRumors forum, Mac Pro section). However, it the half dozen shutdowns today, I've had one that restarted. So, we shall see how it goes.
Thanks for the update :)
Just installed the new Nvidia web drivers. Upon reboot, I had no shutdown errors or reboots. So, someone loves me. :lol: :thumbup:

...I have the MSI NVIDIA GTX750Ti, but every time that there is a update i have to get off the card, and install the new NVIDIA drivers and put again the card on slot. I tried to put in clover boot args "nv_disable=1" and delete "nvda_drv=1" but never OS launched. Something wrong i do or something else i have to put in boot arg?...
This update was much easier for me. I updated El Capitan, rebooted into the Desktop which now was running on the Apple drivers. So, I just installed the 10.11.5 beta drivers (the regular release wasn't out yet) and rebooted. It seems a lot easier now with the "smarter" Nvidia web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back