Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11.4 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
My update experience was an odd combination of bad and good luck. The bad luck started when I noticed a rather odd and enormously slow response from my Hackintosh while downloading the v10.11.4 update. To further emphasize how wrong things were going, I was able to download AND apply the same update on my 2008 MacBook Pro while the Hackintosh was, at best, only intermittently responding. I had to shut it down and eventually determined that the hard drive itself was going bad... on the day of the v10.11.4 update's release! I got a hard drive containing a cloned/backup of a Yosemite setup and decided to wipe it out and install El Capitan (v10.11.2) from my Clover enable USB stick. After a successful install, I applied the v10.11.4 update, (re)applied my MultiBeast settings and migrated my most recent v10.11.3 Time Machine backup.

And my Hackintosh is now working just fine.

This update has fixed a "cpu panic" that kept crashing my Hackintosh and also it's fixed the issue with the sound not working after it went to sleep. I have to install the Nvidia web drivers but that has made the system much better anyway.

I'm reverting to 10.11.3 for now, no matter what i tried I couldn't get past the apple logo & loading bar on my new hack (GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5, Skylake i7 6700, Samsung 950 Pro M2).

I even tried putting the install on a SSD instead of the M2 drive but that didn't help either, also tried changing drivers, etc with no luck. Will wait until I have more time to try the process again (maybe even with a clean install following part of Stork's Gene build).

If anyone else succeeds with this board, let me know ;)

I updated successfully from the App Store. Before it restarted for the update, I removed any Skylake graphics patches I had tried, set Inject Intel = false, and removed ig-platform-id. It updated fine and have graphics acceleration. Audio works. Sleep does not, haven't looked into fixing it yet.

I have since removed Pike's APIC patch, set Inject Intel = true and ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 (purely to have About This Mac read out Intel HD Graphics 530).

When it boots, it hangs about 75% through for a bit (I think it's trying to find a wifi/bluetooth device but I don't have one installed). From there I get the shredded apple logos across the screen until the login window loads. After that it's fine. Not sure why that is.

Note: My monitor is connected via DVI. I will test having two set up via HDMI and DVI later this week but I'm in the middle of a move and don't want to unpack the second one.

Why are some people preferring to use OsxAptioFixDrv with CsrActiveConfig=0x67 instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv?

Currently I have CsrActiveConfig=0x7 which is required for TotalFinder and I would prefer not to turn off SIP completely.

I did the update just yesterday.
Was really scared to mess-up my fully functional setup. But I liked the idea of getting better Skylake support (more importantly the HD 530 internal graphics support) so I finally gathered enough courage and took the extra step into... uncertainty.
I first cloned my OS X boot drive (just to be sure).
Then took a deep breath and just clicked the update button in the App Store.
Everything went smooth as silk :thumbup: The whole thing took about ten minutes until getting back to the login screen. Then ten little seconds of anxiety as the screen just kind of got scrolling in slices o_O until I landed to the now familiar El Capitan desktop.
The NVIDIA control panel was open to alert me that the NVIDIA web driver needed to update. Just one more click on the Update tab and the latest driver was downloaded and installed. Rebooting brought me back to a fully functional El Capitan 10.11.4 system.
Honestly I was so surprised it worked out like with a genuine Mac. I had nothing to tweak or fix :clap:
Sound, sleep/wake, peripherals, everything seems to work as well as before. I have no outstanding issues (not discovered any yet, at least :p ).
I have not yet removed Pike's APIC patch from my Clover config.plist. Will do so today to keep things clean.

Installed it on my Hackintosh with GA-Z97X-UD3H, Core i7-4790K and Gigabyte GTX 770 OC without any issues via the combo update from the Apple website.

After running the installer it rebooted like planned and graphics were fine except for some weird coloration on my second monitor. I was prompted to install the nVidia web driver update, which I did and now everything works flawless.

TRIM and Audio both work and boot-up times seem like before as well. I didn't try audio after sleep yet, though.

I must add that I checked the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi according to this post but it was already in place without the version that doesn't have the "2", next to it.

So I can only recommend the update if someone has the same configuration. :thumbup:

Why are some people preferring to use OsxAptioFixDrv with CsrActiveConfig=0x67 instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv?

Currently I have CsrActiveConfig=0x7 which is required for TotalFinder and I would prefer not to turn off SIP completely.

Not by choice - it simply doesn't work for some systems. I can verify at least on my system that OsxAptioFix2Drv is completely unstable with only 1 out of every 5 or 6 boots being successful (even with CsrActiveConfig=0x67.)

I would also prefer SIP to be on as well, but with it off it seems to consume less memory (and is also 100% reliable on my machine which is way more important for me.) What I'm still curious to see is if I bump up the memory consumption of OsxAptioFixDrv even more, can I go back to CsrActiveConfig=0x3? However, I'm having trouble building Clover from source to test my theory.

Finally I get the audio to work again.
Tried many times using audio_cloverALC-110.command.zip, but always get the failed symlink error.
Then I tried audio_pikeralphaALC-110.command.zip, reboot, and voila, list of sound output appears again. The only thing is the sound devices are all written in Hebrew. Not a big deal.

Mobo: GA-Z77-DS3H (rev 1.0), audio driver: ALC887.

if this messes up my hackintosh, can i just restore from a time machine backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back