Contribute
Register

Optiplex 9010, NVMe Boot, How to install Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CharlesC
One more idea. The Dell Optiplex 3020 models can run Mavericks perfectly well via HD4600 iGPU. @Nodarkthings has shown that with his 3020 build. Those can be purchased for under 50 dollars on Ebay. He can help you to boot from an OpenCore EFI folder that works perfectly with Mavericks. Make sure to get an i5 CPU or better. Pentiums and some i3s don't work with Mavericks. Need to have HD4600.

Read through the build description I wrote for the 3020s.

Last edited:
@CharlesC
One more idea. The Dell Optiplex 3020 models can run Mavericks perfectly well via HD4600 iGPU. @Nodarkthings has shown that with his 3020 build. Those can be purchased for under 50 dollars on Ebay. He can help you to boot from an OpenCore EFI folder that works perfectly with Mavericks. Make sure to get an i5 CPU or better. Pentiums and some i3s don't work with Mavericks. Need to have HD4600.

Read through the build description I wrote for the 3020s.

I was about to write it. ;)

@CharlesC : I was even able to shrink the existing Windows 8.1 partition (there's an easy to find command for halving it) and cloned back my working 10.9 partition on the freed space.
I've just followed the 3020 tutorial by trs96, only changing system definition to iMac14,2.

I've just followed the 3020 tutorial by trs96, only changing system definition to iMac14,2.
It would mostly just require that charles learn to do some basic .plist editing with something like PlistEdit Pro app.

I was even able to shrink the existing Windows 8.1 partition (there's an easy to find command for halving it) and cloned back my working 10.9 partition on the freed space.
I would probably avoid dual booting with Windows on the same drive as it can cause problems when you run Windows updates. With two separate machines (9010/3020) there's no good reason to put each OS on the same drive.

It would mostly just require that charles learn to do some basic .plist editing with something like PlistEdit Pro app.

I would probably avoid dual booting with Windows on the same drive as it can cause problems when you run Windows updates. With two separate machines (9010/3020) there's no good reason to put each OS on the same drive.
Yes, I'm more on the bold side of things. :lol:

Thank you both very much for your help!

Windows 10 was just used to prove it works, I've no desire to use it beyond this test of booting 9010 via NVMe. My preference is actually Windows 2000 which has done all I have ever needed these many years, and it screams in a Parallels 9 VM. :)

Going to take me a few days to review the offered refs and digest. I can't say I understand much of any of this, I do have a decent tech background, but am very willing to learn OpenCore.

My goal is just to "get there" with the setup them enjoy it. :)

The part I did not include is that I have six 9010's, so I would have to swap them out for 3020's after I verify performance. :( That route will be some work. :(

I had thought I had read of NVMe support on Mavericks using (sorry I don't have the grammer down) various files to include the support. So my plan B was to boot off a SATA drive and then run the app on the NVMe drive but looks like I may not have that option.

Thanks again! Time for me to learn up a bit!

>>Even though they say Moore's law is dead, Murphy's law is still alive and well.

LOL

Thank you both very much for your help!

Windows 10 was just used to prove it works, I've no desire to use it beyond this test of booting 9010 via NVMe. My preference is actually Windows 2000 which has done all I have ever needed these many years, and it screams in a Parallels 9 VM. :)

Going to take me a few days to review the offered refs and digest. I can't say I understand much of any of this, I do have a decent tech background, but am very willing to learn OpenCore.

My goal is just to "get there" with the setup them enjoy it. :)

The part I did not include is that I have six 9010's, so I would have to swap them out for 3020's after I verify performance. :( That route will be some work. :(

I had thought I had read of NVMe support on Mavericks using (sorry I don't have the grammer down) various files to include the support. So my plan B was to boot off a SATA drive and then run the app on the NVMe drive but looks like I may not have that option.

Thanks again! Time for me to learn up a bit!

>>Even though they say Moore's law is dead, Murphy's law is still alive and well.

LOL
If you "have a decent tech background", OpenCore is not that hard to setup if you carefully follow the guide at Dortania.
Enjoy! ;)

Perfect! Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back