Contribute
Register

Optimus on macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacOS and Linux aren't really related at all when it comes to this stuff. Things like bumblebee and PRIME rely on multiple complex subsystems within Linux that may not even exist in MacOS, or if they do aren't really publicly documented. Also the output switching in MacBooks isn't related to optimus at all, the hardware implementations are completely different.

There would be no 'porting' involved here, it would be a 100% completely from scratch thing involving some very low level parts of macOS.

So you think that no one will be able to make Optimus work ?

MacBooks use a hardware mux to switch the physical outputs between iGPU and dGPU. Optimus however doesn't connect the dGPU physically to the internal display, but routes it through the iGPU, something that isn't possible in OS X at this point.

Enabling Optimus would most likely involve modifying both Apple's proprietary iGPU driver as well as Nvidia's proprietary WebDriver. Both are closed source and not documented, so that's no fun at all.

I thought it was impossible, but I just installed 10.12.4 on an ASUS G750JZ (Optimus with Intel HD4600 / NVIDIA GTX880M). Mouse blitting is glitchy over some windows, no HDMI output, no audio, no wireless (yet), but I can boot without the nv_disable flag and have access to CUDA.

MacBooks use a hardware mux to switch the physical outputs between iGPU and dGPU. Optimus however doesn't connect the dGPU physically to the internal display, but routes it through the iGPU, something that isn't possible in OS X at this point.

Enabling Optimus would most likely involve modifying both Apple's proprietary iGPU driver as well as Nvidia's proprietary WebDriver. Both are closed source and not documented, so that's no fun at all.

So sad.. I hope that someone will try to do it one day :/

I thought it was impossible, but I just installed 10.12.4 on an ASUS G750JZ (Optimus with Intel HD4600 / NVIDIA GTX880M). Mouse blitting is glitchy over some windows, no HDMI output, no audio, no wireless (yet), but I can boot without the nv_disable flag and have access to CUDA.

Interresting... But how about the battery life?

So sad.. I hope that someone will try to do it one day :/

Interresting... But how about the battery life?

Bumping with interest for this since I do CUDA and rely on bumblebee. Using bumblebee in debian renders a part of the screen using the discrete GPU and the rest using the integrated GPU (try otpirun glxgears). As I understand you mean that the MacBooks switch the whole screen? How come they have such superb battery lifes?

And the most important part: Do you technical people think we will be able to use the GPU for CUDA without caring for graphics (like optirun --no-xorg [COMMAND]) ??

Bumping with interest for this since I do CUDA and rely on bumblebee. Using bumblebee in debian renders a part of the screen using the discrete GPU and the rest using the integrated GPU (try otpirun glxgears). As I understand you mean that the MacBooks switch the whole screen? How come they have such superb battery lifes?

And the most important part: Do you technical people think we will be able to use the GPU for CUDA without caring for graphics (like optirun --no-xorg [COMMAND]) ??

Dual GPU in switched/routed configuration (such as Nvidia Optimus) not supported.
It is in the FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back